• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Can't stop notification pop-ups from appearing

I have gone into settings and removed all of the various notifications and interruptions from Norton Anti Virus.  I keep getting an annoying pop up that says the program has finished a scan and has found no problems.

I see this pop up at least twice a day, every day.  How can I get rid of this notification?  Which setting because there are several notification settings.   Thanks!

(I did not have this problem with the 2011 version of NAV.  It never interruped me with a scan notice.)

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Can't stop notification pop-ups from appearing

I have gone into settings and removed all of the various notifications and interruptions from Norton Anti Virus.  I keep getting an annoying pop up that says the program has finished a scan and has found no problems.

I see this pop up at least twice a day, every day.  How can I get rid of this notification?  Which setting because there are several notification settings.   Thanks!

(I did not have this problem with the 2011 version of NAV.  It never interruped me with a scan notice.)

Kudos0

Hi mitchflorida,

Please try this.

Settings--> Miscellaneous Settings --> Norton Task Notification. Turn off this option.

When this option is turned on, Norton Antivirus shows the notification to inform you about the background tasks that are running like Idle Time Scans, Automatic LiveUpdate, and Insight Optimizer.. When this option is turned off, Norton Antivirus does not notify you about any background tasks.

Turning off this option does not affect the execution of automatic background tasks in any way.

Thanks,

Umai

Kudos2

"Settings--> Miscellaneous Settings --> Norton Task Notification. Turn off this option."

That doesn't help, still get those notifications. I think that is a bug. 

Kudos0

Hi,

You cannot disable all the popups, its by design , user should know the status e.g.  idlescan complete

1.You can only delay the idle time tasks' start time to 30 minutes (tops). So you will get these popups only if you leave your PC for at minimum 30 minutes

Thanks,

Senthil

Kudos0

I have to disagree with you.  If I set my NAV for "No Notifications"  it should give me no notifications or pop ups.  I don't lke to be intterupted with meaningless messages that I have no threats found, three times a day.

I also bought this version 2012 of NAV because the previous version had absolutely no pop ups unless there was a problem or threat found.  

I think this is a design flaw, and am less than satisfied with the answers given.

The other sugggestion given by Norton didn't work and didn't stop the pop-ups. 

Kudos0

Hi,

You canfind useful info here.

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-360/disable-Norton-Popups/m-p/234839#M32636

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Senthil

Kudos0

Is there anyone in authority at Norton Anti-Virus  that can tell me how to get rid of the notification pop ups?

So far I have gotten two different answers from Symantic here, both contradicting themselves.

The previous version did not have the pop ups, and I don't want to disable the scan feature.  

Thank you in advance.

Kudos1

Hi,

Sorry. I misundersood. Some of the popups (which I mentioned below), I  didn't find  any settings to turnoff.

But we can use following settings to turn off  notification for Idle time scans,Automatic LiveUpdate, and Insight Optimizer

Go to NIS main UI->General tab->Norton tasks-> Turn off Norton task notification using togggle button.

if this is not working then there might be a problem

I apologize for the confusion.

Thanks,

Senthil

Kudos0

That is good that NIS/NAV give pop-up about unsafe items, restart computer etc even if the notifications would be taken off. But i still get those idle scan etc messages every time. So there is a problem.
Kudos0

There seems be a problem as the scan notices keep appearing even though the "Norton Task Notification"  is set to off.

Kudos2

Thank you for reporting the issue. We will fix it in a future release of NIS and NAV.

Best Regards,

-Lynn

Kudos1

Hi.

Have same problem under Windows XP, SP3.

FWIW

Atomic_Blast

"Every day is just another increment on the bell curve of life."
Kudos1

unfortunately this issue was not solved in the last update. Please fix it. Thanks.

Kudos1

Hi Everyone,

I'm sorry for not being clearer. We have identified the issue and have a fix for it. However, the fix was not part of the latest release, but we are working to make it part of an upcomming major release. It may not make it in the next minor one as you saw with the latest release 19.2, but we're working hard to get this fixed for everyone. As soon as the major release come out, I will update this post to keep everyone informed.

Thank you for keeping this issue on our radar.

Best Regards,

-Lynn

Kudos1

When is this and the inablilty to use the Performance Flip feature on HD Monitrs going to be fixed? I have a very good system, but it's really annoying to have Norton pop up a Quick Scan window a couple of times a day.

Kudos0

I reported this problem to Symantic over 10 weeks ago and still no response?

Whatever happened to good customer service?    Why can't this issue be fixed, Norton?

Kudos2

We have provided a few responses, the latest here, 2 posts above yours. Thanks. 

Tony Weiss | Norton Forums Global Community Manager | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

Hear, hear, people should read all posts...........

Kudos0

Dear Mr. Weiss,

Thank you for addressing this issue!

Using computers running under both XP3 and Vista, I have the same NIS-2012 problem with annoying scan notices --but also with pointless performance notices. I suggest a prominent central "Notices Console" (perhaps somewhat redundant to switches found elsewhere), where with a single click you can "OFF" all notices which do not constitute an actual threat.

Craig

Kudos0

Hi Craig-123:

Welcome to the Norton forum.

Just in case you weren't aware, you can configure Performance Alerts for high CPU/Memory/Disk Usage/Handles in Settings | Miscellaneous Settings | Performance Monitoring | Performance Alerting.  If you set Performance Alerting to Log Only, performance alerts will not pop up in your system tray but they will continue to be logged in your security history.  You can also turn off performance alerts for specific software programs (e.g., resource-intensive computer games) at Settings | Miscellaneous Settings | Performance Monitoring | Program Exclusions.

I personally don't mind the Task Notifications and Performance Alerts, but there are many other users who find these "non-critical" notifications to be quite annoying.  You should post your idea for a single switch in the Product Suggestions board since Symantec employees monitor that board quite closely.

------------

Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2 * NIS 2011 v. 18.6.0.29 * IE 9.0 * Firefox 8.0.0
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Kudos0

I too am having the same issue. This is now less than 24 hours away from December and yet it's still not fixed. When the hell is Symantec going to fix this? I could care less that it found 30 cookies and fixed them. HELLO, that's why I told it to automatically fix tehm. I don't need to know 20 times a day that it found some MINOR info and fixed it.

Does Symantec care about their customers or have they gotten so big that they think can get away with not addressing issues? If it's not fixed soon I will revert back to my 2011 subscription since I still had almost a year left. This 2012 version STINKS!!!

Kudos0

I agree This needs fixing quick. my subscription is up early January if it’s not fixed I will move to another product I have 10 computers at work running Microsoft Security Essentials and don’t get any annoying notifications at all.
Kudos0

It's been over a month since LynnH (Symantec Employee) promised that a fix for this problem is coming.

Can we get some current status .... any idea of the approximate timeframe when a fix will be rolled out??

One should have the option to disable pop-up messages from NIS that say a background scan completed and no problems were found.

This is obviously not a major problem, but is an annoyance that can easily be solved by providing an option to enable/disable those messages that tell the user no problem was found. Those users who wish to see such messages can continue to do so, and those who consider those messages to be an annoyance can choose to disable the messages (that say no problem was found).

When will we see the fix?

Kudos0

I do not know why but came to mind...

When I will see you again?

It kinda sums up the state of things

Kudos0

Unfortunately, I can't give any details as to when the next update will be released. I understand that it's frustrating for you, and it's equally as frustrating for us. But things change, compatibility issues crop up, and schedules need to adjust accordingly. That said, once we're able to give out schedule information, we'll let you know.

Kudos2

Hi Folks:

I have to agree with Tony's post on this.

There are a bunch of items which are on the remedy list and some are more important than others. I have many of the same problems as you, but staying the course is the key. I would rather have Symantec take the time (within reason) and fully QA these fixes than release something that just "might" work. I think that all of you have done the right thing by posting these problems in the forum for the developers to address and they are doing just that.

Just think of all the OS'es and their respective configurations - both software and hardware - it's almost insanity.

Patience will be rewarded.

That's why I volunteer my time here. I want a super quality product to use and don't think that jumping to another vendor's product is the answer. They have their own issues as well.

Hope this puts things in perspective.

End of my mini-rant.

Atomic_Blast :)

Kudos0

Well, patience goes only so far. In today's Business and Marketing oriented world, the customer has the right to get a FULL refund if not satisfied with something.

And also, I'd like to point out that Quick Scan ran even while I was making a full back-up of my system. Slowed everything down, ran again when I continued the back-up job every day for the next 3 days and the total time spent backing-up was 27.5 hours

Kudos0

Hi Mr_Furious:

Have you tried configuring Quiet Mode to suspend Norton background tasks when your backup software is running (in NIS 2011, it's Settings | Miscellaneous Settings | Silent Mode Settings | Quiet Mode Detection Of | User-Specified Programs | Configure)?  See here for more information on Silent Mode and Quiet Mode.

I think the issue being discussed in this thread is a problem with the pop-up notifications that continue to alert users that these idletime tasks are running in the background (Settings | Miscellaneous Settings | Norton Task Notification) even when the setting is turned off in NIS 2012. The Idle Quick Scan and Norton Insight tasks can't be permanently disabled in the configuration settings like other idletime tasks (see Performance | Norton Tasks for a list of tasks), but they can still be temporarily suspended for up to a full day by right-clicking on the Norton icon in the system tray and choosing Turn On Silent Mode.

----------

Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2 * NIS 2011 v. 18.6.0.29 * IE 9.0 * Firefox 8.0.0
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Kudos0

I agree, have been using the Quiet Mode for the past years when doing backups. Usually set it for 4 hours, which is sufficient for my requirements

Kudos1

I won't ask for a refund, but I also won't be renewing Norton Anti-virus when my subscription expires.  There are too many good free programs to have to be aggravated by a program that costs money.

I have never seen such a lackadaiscal response to a program bug.  

Kudos0

The issue/bug that I reported involves getting annoying pop-up messages stating that a background scan has been completed and NO PROBLEMS WERE FOUND. Getting such superfluous pop-up messages (stating that no problems were found) should be made OPTIONAL. Some customers might want to get such pop-ups, and others might not.

On September 15, 2011, LynnH (Symantec Employee) stated this: "Thank you for reporting the issue. We will fix it in a future release of NIS and NAV."

TWO MONTHS LATER (November 9, 2011), LynnH stated: "...We have identified the issue and have a fix for it. However, the fix was not part of the latest release, but we are working to make it part of an upcomming major release...."

It has now been THREE MONTHS since Symantec has been aware of this problem, and ONE MONTH since we were told that Symantec has a fix.

How difficult can it be to make such pop-ups optional????

Yes, Tony Weiss is correct that all fixes must be tested and that takes time. But making these pop-up messages optional is not a complex change, and one expects that a company with Symantec's resources and talent could roll-out a simple fix like this within THREE MONTHS of it being reported.

Yes, Atomic_Blast is right in that there are other items on the remedy list that are more important than making superfluous pop-up messages optional .... but it's been THREE MONTHS since Symantec has been aware of this problem.

Symantec: how about some current status? Approximately how long will we have to wait for this problem to be fixed? I'm not asking for a specific date ... just an approximate timeframe (one month?, three months?, six months?, one year?).

Kudos0

Hi geek47,

Though I know it is frustrating with these pop-up's (for me as well) I do know that Symantec cares about issues that customers report, incluiding this one.

When Symantec talks about "next major update" it is one which is not just an inline minor patch but rather one which bumps the version number also. Major updates such as this takes more time because it is not just this one fix but also many others which have significantly more test impact than just this one.

Symantec rarely commits any dates for major updates like this because things are just too fluid and a problem during testing of even one of the fixes going into that major update causes a delay with all the other fixes targeted for that update as well.

I have hope this will be fairly soon but that is just my personal opinion and did not come from Symantec.

Best wishes.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32* Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari. Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32
Kudos1

@AllenM,

Thanks for your response.

Some questions (that are probably only answerable by someone from Symantec):

1. Why must such a simple fix (that by Symantec's admission has been available since November 9) have to wait for a major release? Many fixes are released in between major releases ... why not this one? How complex could this simple fix be ... it should merely establish a new option that allows the user to either allow or bypass superfluous pop-ups from being displayed. A single line of code could then handle testing the state of the option and bypassing or displaying the pop-up ... something like "if not bypass-option then display pop-up". Not rocket science. Yes, the fix would have to be tested, but the fix has been available for a month ... that should have been enough time to thoroughly test sucn a simple change.

2. I understand the software development process. Companies do not like to publish specific release dates well in advance for the reasons you cited ... but companies often provide timeframes for upcoming releases. Every release has a project plan, and that plan includes an expected timeframe (if not a specific date) for the release. All I'm asking for is an approximate timeframe for when this fix will be made available (if necessary, Symantec can include the usual set of caveats). Right now, we only know that the fix will be "part of an upcomming release" ... right now we do not know for sure that this fix will even be part of the next release. Some status from Symantec would be appreciated.      

Kudos1

Hi geek47,

I will ask Symantec to respond but I know that they will not commit to a release date. Perhaps they can confirm that it will be in the "next" update though so I will make the request.

I am actually a software engineer myself and I have seen several cases where I know the fix itself is actually quite simple and it still had to be released as part of a major update because of how it changed certain files that would cause the program to fail internal validation for things such as checksums and so forth. As I understand it there are certain program files which cannot simply be dropped in as a minor update as an individual file but rather must be included as part of a more comprehensive program update. I suspect this is one of those cases.

I will make a request that Symantec post to this thread with any more information they are able to share.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32* Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari. Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32
Kudos0

@AllenM,

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!

Kudos3

Hi Geek47,

Please see my comments in blue. Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Regards,

Tony

geek47 wrote:

@AllenM,

Thanks for your response.

Some questions (that are probably only answerable by someone from Symantec):

1. Why must such a simple fix (that by Symantec's admission has been available since November 9) have to wait for a major release? Many fixes are released in between major releases ... why not this one? How complex could this simple fix be ... it should merely establish a new option that allows the user to either allow or bypass superfluous pop-ups from being displayed. A single line of code could then handle testing the state of the option and bypassing or displaying the pop-up ... something like "if not bypass-option then display pop-up". Not rocket science. Yes, the fix would have to be tested, but the fix has been available for a month ... that should have been enough time to thoroughly test sucn a simple change.

TW: The complexity of the fix has little to do with the situation; it has a lot to do with Quality Assurance and maximizing the update for as many customers as possible. Our Quality Assurance process is one that we take very seriously, as I'm sure you know. We provide security to millions of people worldwide, and we need to make sure that it doesn't break anything on their systems -- not our products, 3rd party products, operating systems, other languages, etc. We have thorough processes for ensuring compatibility while making the fix still effective.

Additionally, I think we can agree that there are a few different categories of updates. If the issue is a matter of security, we will urgently release the update, as shown in the past. We can also agree that, as annoying as this issue can be, it is not a security-related issue. As such, we prefer to maximize the number of fixes that customers receive from a product update when dealing with non-urgent issues. 

2. I understand the software development process. Companies do not like to publish specific release dates well in advance for the reasons you cited ... but companies often provide timeframes for upcoming releases. Every release has a project plan, and that plan includes an expected timeframe (if not a specific date) for the release. All I'm asking for is an approximate timeframe for when this fix will be made available (if necessary, Symantec can include the usual set of caveats). Right now, we only know that the fix will be "part of an upcomming release" ... right now we do not know for sure that this fix will even be part of the next release. Some status from Symantec would be appreciated.      

TW: This is always a difficult one. My experience with giving out any type of timeframe has always resulted in angry customers. I'm not a person who is prone to writing in absolutes, so using the word "always" is very deliberate. There is always a misunderstanding, always an expectation that is not met regarding the schedule, and always an angry customer who expected a release "sometime in May" to be on May 1st at 12:01 AM (see any thread about Firefox updates, even ones where we release within hours of the Firefox udpate). Additionally, there are times that schedules change, even from when we planned them. They don't change arbitrarily, but rather for reasons mentioned in my reply to #1. It would be irresponsible for us to communicate either a timeframe that might change due to unknown circumstances or to release an update according to schedule that could potentially cause harm. Do we stick to our committment of schedule? Or to our committment of excellence? We prefer the latter, which means that our schedule information remains internal.

While I know this isn't likely to be a satisfactory answer for you, I think at this point we can "agree to disagree" on this subject. You've been polite in presenting your side of the issue, and we've tried to do the same. However, our policy on release dates is not likely to change.

Kudos0

Hi Geek47:

I understand how you feel (seriously) but the remediation process is more complicated than you think, IMHO.

Tony Weiss does present a real-world explanation of the items which must be taken into consideration when

you are doing business with a company that has a plethora of products - each one deserves the same type of

treatment.

Have you tried Setting Silent Mode on for 1 day (maximum setting) and see if this might be a temporary workaround

for this problem? If not, please do so. If it doesn't work, we have at least given things a try.

I still maintain that you should stay the course, as the other products out there from other vendors (as previously mentioned) probably have their own share of problems. At least the pop-ups are not compromising the security of your computer.

Could you guarantee that you would be so safe and happy with another vendor?

I've been there and have come back here. That tells me something.

Happy holidays,

Kudos0

Tony,

Thank you for your detailed response. While I understand Symantec's reluctance to provide an approximate timeframe for the next "major" release of NIS, as you said, we may just have to "agree to disagree" on this. Hopefully the fix for this pop-up annoyance will be in the "next" release, and hopefully, the next "major" release will occur before NIS 2013  :)

With your indulgence, could you please pass this request to the developers/architects ...

Whenever possible, when making changes that affect the User Interface (especially pop-up messages, and especially pop-up messages that say "no problems found"), please please make those pop-ups optional.

Atomic_Blast,

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

I'm not sure Silent Mode is an effective workaround.

Yes, it would result in surpressing pop-ups .... but my understanding of Silent Mode is that (when Silent Mode is active) all alerts and all background processes are suspended. I don't want to suspend the background processes (i.e., scans) because they help to keep ones PC secure, and I don't want to surpress any alert that might warn me of a possible problem .... I just want to (permanently) surpress the superfluous pop-ups that say "no problems found". Hopefully, the fix that Symantec is working on will make those superfluous pop-ups optional.

As far as "staying the course" .... I am a long-time Symantec customer (back to the days of Peter Norton) and do not plan on changing products because of this issue. As both you and Tony have mentioned (and I agree), these pop-ups do not compromise the security provided by NIS.... they are only an annoyance .... but hopefully an annoyance that will soon be fixed (i.e.,  long before NIS 2013 is rolled out)!     

Kudos0

The issue I have (Norton Antivirus 2012) with this is not having the option to not have Quick Scan start up everytime my computer goes idle. I have no problem with the Live Update doing its thing automatically but do have a problem not being able to control when Norton wants to scan my computer. I'm perfectly capable of doing this on my own, I don't need big brother Norton looking over my shoulder telling me it doesn't trust my judgement so it's going to take it out of my hands. If this doesn't get fixed (to have options to disable any of the background activities individually) I also will not be renewing my subscription when it expires. There are just too many good antivirus programs out there to have to put up with this.

Kudos0

I think that in this day and age it would not be very wise to rely on oneself to do the scans. By the time you get around to doing it, you could already be infected with a virus. The quick scans have already been fixed by Norton, so they don't really intrude in every day computing anymore.

Anyway, this thread is not about quick scans, but the accompanying pop-up message. As you may have read, this will be fixed also

Kudos0

Mike89 does make a good point .... even if it is off topic.

I agree ....the Quick Scan feature should have options for Automatic or Manual. Perhaps the default should be Automatic (that would address vienna10's concerns about relying on onself to do the scans before one gets infected), while having an option for Manual would address Mile89's concerns about forcing customers to run Quick Scans   ... having Auto and Manual options would be a win-win.

Perhaps the lesson learned is that by giving customers options, each customer can have it their way. Features should never be forced onto a customer but should have options to enable/disable/adjust (even if it appears to Symantec's software architects that a feature has universal appeal, there will be some customers who do not want it). Of course, there still might be disagreements as to what defaults each option should have .... but I think that is an easier issue for Symantec to deal with than the issue of features being imposed with no options for the customer to control them.

Just my 2 cents.

Kudos0

Hi folks,

I totally agree about this.

The IDLE Quick Scan feature really should have options for Automatic or Manual. However, If it is set to Automatic, the

Idle notification situation must be first be fully remedied beforehand, otherwise there is no true benefit.

I have posted this request in Product Suggestions. I hope that Symantec will consider it.

http://community.norton.com/t5/Product-Suggestions/NIS-NAV-2012-Idle-Quick-Scan-feature-modifications/td-p/617733

Happy Holidays!

Kudos1

The Idle Quick Scan feature is pretty basic to the product's protection.  I suspect that in any decision to make it optional Symantec would need to weigh the number of customers who would get themselves in trouble and be upset vs. the numbers who are upset because they can't turn it off.  I'm quite happy with being able to turn on Silent Mode during those few times it's important to make sure the background processes--including Quick Scan--don't run.

(Of course I do want to turn off the unwanted scan-completed notifications, but Symantec is already addressing that.  To those who are upset that it isn't being addressed soon enough, I'm tempted to say "get a life". )

Kudos0

First off I didn't think my post was off topic cause the Quick Scan is what triggers the pop up message (when it's done scanning). Second the last poster mentions symanatec would have to weigh how many would get into trouble turning it off. That just makes no sense. That's like saying switching to any other antivirus that doens't do this is getting the user in trouble. I just like having control of what my programs are doing. It I want it to scan I'll just tell it to do it. I don't like Norton not giving me the option.

Kudos0

I'm not sure I can buy the argument (against providing an option to disable Quick Scan) based on the possibility that customers who choose that option might "get themselves in trouble".

Consider the existing Silent Mode option which supresses all alerts and suspends all other background processes (including Quick Scan) ... for up to 24 hours?

By providing the Silent Mode option for up to 24 hours, Symantec already gives customers the possibility of getting themselves in trouble (a lot can happen in the time that Silent Mode is in effect).

If customers only want to disable Quick Scan (but not all other background processes), then why not provide an option to just disable/enable Quick Scan??? In that case, other background processes can continue to run, and alerts can continue to be posted (except for pop-ups that say "no trouble found" which eventually, someday, hopefully soon, will also be made optional).

Kudos0

Since the 19.2 product update, the Idle Time Quick Scans only run when the computer is idle.  As soon as the user resumes activity on the PC, the scans stop.  So, I am not seeing where the Quick Scans themselves would have any effect on the user experience.  If Symantec provides a way of disabling the notifications, that should eliminate the annoyance.

Kudos0

Hi SendOfJive,

Actually, the Idle Quick Time Scans are not perfect - yet. There is a fine line as to what constitutes Idle Time by the developers and I think that it is more subjective then objective. As an example, I can sometimes be working in Visio with some light data manipulations but NIS will run an Idle Time Scan in the background. I also see occasionally upon login that the "Scan completed successfully - no threats found," relating to the Idle Time Quick Scan.

So, IMO, it's still an issue but less then it was prior to 19.2, that's for sure.

Regards,

Kudos0

I agree completely. I don't want these scans running all the time. I have a computer that shuts the hard drive down when inactive and I would like to keep it that way. Since installing this, it has never "slept" again. Wouldn't mind being able to schedule them occurring late at night or whenever I choose or choose not to. I've tried their solutions and none have worked.

Kudos0

I’m currently running NIS-2012 (version 19.2.0.10) and have read through all the posts here.

* I’m guessing there’s been an unconscious Symantec design philosophy at work, such that the code which inflicts those notices upon us is buried rather deep. It's easy for businesses to assume that their customers are as oriented around their products and services as they are. My office products supplier, my health insurer, radio/TV stations, and software companies in particular seem to think my life just naturally revolves around them, so I get swamped with their frequent announcements, willy-nilly upgrades, and promotional gimmicks.

The future belongs to businesses which take to heart the message of that amazing and painstaking Honda Accord video commercial: “isn’t it nice, when things just work?”.

Kudos0

I forgot to note my agreement with Atom and Kcrec about the constant spinning up of my hard drives when I'm trying to focus on a project. There's always a "barking dog" in my lizard brain which worries about _something_ (definitely out of my control) operating inside of _my_ computer.

"Is it a virus?"

"Of course not", answers my left hemisphere --but I've already forgotten some subtlety about what I was going to do next.

Interesting, isn't it: how that "pop-up" lays in waiting for one to make a move, then bushwacks your attention --and demands to be acknowledged before it will go away.

I also forgot to wish Symantec and everyone here a very "happy new year". This thread will soon be 3 months old. Perhaps we should hold quarterly celebrations (or something), as we look forward to becoming old, old friends.

Craig

Replies are locked for this thread.