• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

XP Hangs at Windows Shutdown Screen - TuneUp Utilis 2011 BUG!!

Hi all, I have been experiencing problems with my computer  hanging at the 'saving settings' window during the shut-down procedure for around 4-5 months. (this problem is random)!!

Today I notice in windows event viewer that an entry is created by Microsoft's 'User Profile Cleanup Service' at each shutdown, the offending piece of software is TuneUp Utilities!

Here's one such entry, note the info varies on each log entry but it is always the same service causing the issue!

Event Type:    Information
Event Source:    UPHClean
Event Category:    None
Event ID:    1401
Date:        23/09/2011
Time:        22:19:55
User:        SLINKY\Slinky Grafix
Computer:    SLINKY
Description:
The following handles in user profile hive SLINKY\Slinky Grafix (S-1-5-21-1957994488-1078081533-839522115-1003) have been remapped because they were preventing the profile from unloading successfully:

TuneUpUtilitiesService32.exe (3444)
  HKCU (0x3a0)
  HKCU (0x3ac)
  HKCU (0x3b0)
  HKCU (0x4f8)
  HKCU (0x4fc)
  HKCU (0x500)

Please note that on the ocassions where my computer DOES HANG, the above type of entries are not generated! Seemingly the 'User Profile Service' does not always work.

I have contacted TuneUp Utilities Tech Support dozens of times and they said to try stopping the TuneUp service before shutdown and see if the problem goes away. I tried that and it DOES!!!

TuneUp Utilities will not acknowledge that there is a problem with their software and ignore ALL my emails!

TuneUp Utilities is quite a good program (when it works properly) but the company who sell it are flippin useless!! Not at all what you would expect from a German Company!!

Any help would be much appreciated.

P.S. I have tried a fresh install but still no luck!

Replies

Kudos0

Re: XP Hangs at Windows Shutdown Screen - TuneUp Utilis 2011 BUG!!

Hi all, I have been experiencing problems with my computer  hanging at the 'saving settings' window during the shut-down procedure for around 4-5 months. (this problem is random)!!

Today I notice in windows event viewer that an entry is created by Microsoft's 'User Profile Cleanup Service' at each shutdown, the offending piece of software is TuneUp Utilities!

Here's one such entry, note the info varies on each log entry but it is always the same service causing the issue!

Event Type:    Information
Event Source:    UPHClean
Event Category:    None
Event ID:    1401
Date:        23/09/2011
Time:        22:19:55
User:        SLINKY\Slinky Grafix
Computer:    SLINKY
Description:
The following handles in user profile hive SLINKY\Slinky Grafix (S-1-5-21-1957994488-1078081533-839522115-1003) have been remapped because they were preventing the profile from unloading successfully:

TuneUpUtilitiesService32.exe (3444)
  HKCU (0x3a0)
  HKCU (0x3ac)
  HKCU (0x3b0)
  HKCU (0x4f8)
  HKCU (0x4fc)
  HKCU (0x500)

Please note that on the ocassions where my computer DOES HANG, the above type of entries are not generated! Seemingly the 'User Profile Service' does not always work.

I have contacted TuneUp Utilities Tech Support dozens of times and they said to try stopping the TuneUp service before shutdown and see if the problem goes away. I tried that and it DOES!!!

TuneUp Utilities will not acknowledge that there is a problem with their software and ignore ALL my emails!

TuneUp Utilities is quite a good program (when it works properly) but the company who sell it are flippin useless!! Not at all what you would expect from a German Company!!

Any help would be much appreciated.

P.S. I have tried a fresh install but still no luck!

Kudos0

What version of Windows are you using? 32 bit or 64 bit?

I'd remove TUneUp Utilities ..... I've seen more people with problems from using them then getting real benefit.

You refer to a Microsoft utility that is probably trying to do the same thing at the same time so no wonder it reports a conflict!

Hugh
Kudos0

huwyngr wrote:

What version of Windows are you using? 32 bit or 64 bit? 

What difference does that make..? UPH Clean does not work with XP - 64 Bit!

I'd remove TUneUp Utilities ..... I've seen more people with problems from using them then getting real benefit.

You refer to a Microsoft utility that is probably trying to do the same thing at the same time so no wonder it reports a conflict!

A ridiculous statement to make! Do you know what UPH Clean does exactly? Clearly not!

Hi huwyngr!

Thank you for your comments.., as you can see I've left a few inline comments above. However, and with all due respect, if you cannot make a sensible comment please don't bother wasting your time or mine. It solves nothing!

What is the point in asking me what version of Windows I'm using if in the next breath you dismiss the actual problem and tell me to uninstall TuneUp Utilities? How exactly are you qualified to make such a diagnosis, surely it's not based on a few random hearsay comments you've Googled?

Further, you mention the Microsoft Utility that I run, it's actually called 'User Profile Hive Cleanup Service' or UPH Clean for short. The purpose of this Microsoft utility is to help ensure user sessions are completely terminated when a user logs off. It does this by remapping any locked handles that have been left open by a program or process to the registry. As I said in my OP, UPHClean usually creates an entry in the windows event viewer when it has unlocked/re-mapped the TuneUp Utilities Service32.exe which then facilitates a clean shutdown. Occasionally this is not happening and it is this problem that I am trying to remedy! Pointless comments about uninstalling TU are simply that. Pointless!!

You might like to read about UPH Clean here: 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/837115

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=6676

All the best!

Kudos0

Since you know so much why are you asking help?

The first step in intelligent troubleshooting is to establish basic  facts which is why we ask routine questions often although not in this case using boilerplate.

We look for facts in the text of messages so I missed that you put XP in the subject.

Your account of what is going on which included:

the offending piece of software is TuneUp Utilities !

which I did look up  http://www.tune-up.com/products/tuneup-utilities/    and stand by my suggestion of getting rid of what your log says is interfering.

I've been doing computer support for over 20 years and technical development before that so I do have some experience.

But I've no time for rudeness so I hope someone can help you.

Hugh
Kudos0

Hmm.., 20 years experience eh?!

Great!

Have a nice day.

Accepted Solution
Kudos1

Problem Solved!!

A while back Norton Internet Security 2011 quarantined my 'Logonui.exe' as it said the file had performed a suspicious activity! NIS did not elaborate but as a result of this file being quarantined I lost access to the logon screen at startup! Eventually I realized that these problems had occurred as I had used TuneUp Utilities 2011 to customize my logon screen. Effectively TUU 2011 had made the customization in the registry but Norton Internet Security thought this change was malicious and promptly disabled the file and deleted the registry key!!.

Anyway to cut a long story short since I am the soul user of my machine I decided to disable the logon screen as it was not really necessary in my case. Unfortunately this is where the problem occurred since my computer was still waiting for me to log off so that it could unload my profile successfully. Having now re-enabled my logon/log off screen and logged out and back in again, the problem of the hang at shut down has now gone! Furthermore Microsoft's UPHClean program is no longer having to re-map the locked handles in my user profile or the TuneUp UtilitiesService32.exe........................Thank the lord for small mercies!!

In summary it would appear that the problem was caused by NIS 2011 wrongly quarantining a good file! That's my take on it, I'm sure someone will want to say different.

Kudos1

You can tell Norton to ignore that file, or folder in future ....

I don't see it as Norton quarantining a "bad" file but as you said quarantining something that was doing something out of the ordinary. Since the logon screen is the portal to your system and may involve password protection it's not surprising to me that a security application should react.

Windows itself does not like anything messing in the registry -- which is why I am against registry cleaners and tuneup utilities.

And I'm not alone in this view if you scan here, other forums (except those selling the products <g>) and technical advice generally.

But congratulations on tracking it down ....

Hugh
Kudos0

Hi Hue

Thanks for the compliments!

Regarding NIS deleting the windows registry key "UIHost" found here "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon", whilst I do agree that NIS was doing it's job I do not agree that the key should have been completely removed! The above key is an integral part of windows and is needed in order for the machine to function correctly. By doing so NIS placed my machine in an unstable position which prevented the user (myself) from logging off.

Obviously TUUtilities cannot be excused of all blame either, given the lack of any technical support from TuneUp Utilities it does make me wonder how they became a Microsoft Gold Certified Partner?! Whilst I do quite like the program, quirks and all, I cannot recommend this program as a matter of principle!

Slinky

Kudos0

Your call on that utility but given that doing what it wanted to do caused difficulties ....

Have you asked around about other ways of achieving whatever modification it was you wanted in LogIn ? We have Tech Outpost Forum here for non-Norton related computing topics ....

Hugh
Kudos1

Yes we're in Tech Outpost now.., clue at top of screen!

I've marked my post as solved since I found the solution already thanks.

Slinky

Kudos0

Thank you for your comments.., as you can see I've left a few inline comments above. However, and with all due respect, if you cannot make a sensible comment please don't bother wasting your time or mine. It solves nothing!

____________________________________________________________________________________

Frankly, Slinky, this kind of comment to anyone trying to assist you is not appreciated by any of us.  None of us are required to spend time answering your questions, so I suggest that you not make yourself so umpleasant that nobody will answer you.  It isn't like we get paid to put up with it.   

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.Mark Twain
Kudos0

Please remember to keep posts on topic. Offensive behavior is grounds for locking this thread. Post content should remain courteous at all times.

Kudos1

Good day Slinky-Grafix and All,

Ruben here! I have the Microsoft UPH-Cleaner programme on my computer at home and have been getting the same event error as yourself. I have looked in the registry for the key you mentioned (uihost) but it is not there! Can you please tell me how I restore this key, I think internet security delete mine too!

Sorry I forget to say I also use tuneup utility's (2011 version.)

PS. I hope I not speaking out of turn or breaking the rules but I think the other senior members here were a bit mean to you slinky-grafix. The first person who said to remove Tuneup was making a completely pointless comment, I cannot see how that would help. If we removed every programme everytime it developed a bug we wouldn't have any programmes left. I read some of the other articles by other people and I don't see anyone telling them to remove internet security 2012.

Chin up slinky looks like your the person to ask for help here.

Ruben

Kudos0

Hi Ruben welcome to the forum! '8-inch-weener' indeed.., LOL!   Wish I'd thought of that user name, is it a kind of German sausage?.

With regard to the event error you're getting, it may sound like I'm stating the obvious but UPHClean can generate a number of different Event ID's, so before we go any further can you first please confirm if it is actually 'Event ID: 1401'? The event viewer should also state the 'Event Source', this should also be 'UPHClean' if it is?

You mentioned also that you use TuneUp Utilities, have you at any stage customized your log on screen? I'm guessing perhaps you have since you cannot find the UIHost key?!

Once I have conformation from you I'll be happy to talk you through restoring the registry key, it's quite easy. We can do this using TuneUp's registry editor for safety. You can also create a backup of your registry with TuneUp if you wish.

All the best chap and thank you for your kind comments previously, it makes a refreshing change from some of the snide remarks I've been reading lately.

All the best

Slinky 

Kudos0

Good day Slinky, is that your real name? German sausage it is not, I'm from the UK.

I have looked at event error again and it is 1401 – UPH-Clean. Also I did customize my log in screen a few weeks ago but internet security did something and I lost my log in screen.

Chat soon! --- Ruben

Kudos0

Hey chap, good to hear back from you! Sorry for the slight delay in my response, I've been busy building a new pc for a friend of mine.

One thing I did forget to ask you was which version of Internet Security you're currently using? I'm running NIS 2012 myself and so the instructions my differ slightly between versions but it shouldn't be too difficult to follow.

If you are using NIS 2012, all well and good, the next step will be quite simple.

First off, open Norton Internet Security and click on the 'Advanced Tab' and then locate the 'Quarantine' under 'Computer Protection' (left hand side of window).

Once you have the quarantine window open, search for an entry for 'tu_logonui.exe', I believe it also mentions TuneUp Styler in the description. Once you have located this file you need to restore this file and exclude it from future scans. Look for 'Restore & Options' on the right side of the window in NIS 2012. As I say, the the instructions may differ slightly between versions of NIS but the principle is the same.

Once you have done this you will need to restore the registry key which NIS deleted, sadly this bit doesn't get restored with the above method. Shame on you Norton for breaking my registry!!

Open TuneUp Utilities main window and launch the Registry Editor, you will find it located under the 'All Functions' tab (top right of window)

Navigate to the key below and before you do anything else, right click the key and select 'Export Key'. Save it somewhere safe just in case! (Desktop will do)!

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Currentversion\Winlogon

With the above key still expanded right click an area of blank space in the right side of the window and select 'New String Value' and rename this item to 'UIHost'. (we're nearly done chap)!!

Finally right click on this newly created string and select 'Modify' in the drop down menu.

Now insert this line of text where it says 'Value Data'

c:\windows\system32\logonui.exe

Close registry editor and restart your pc to complete the process, all being well your Windows Log On screen will be back again! If you want to go ahead and re-customize your Log On screen using TUUtilities it should now work correctly!

The following is for information only!

If you do customize your log on screen again you will find that the registry key you restored above will change to the following value, this is where your custom screen is actually stored by TuneUp!

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\TuneUp Software\TuneUp Utilities 2011\WinStyler\tu_logonui.exe

The above instructions may seem long but if you follow them carefully it will only take 5 minutes tops!

Wishing you luck fella, feel free to PM me (private message) if you need any further help!

All the best

Slinky