• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

Symantec Service Framework frequently using 50% of CPU

I have Norton Internet Security installed, v16.8.0.41, with Windows Vista, 3.0 GB of memory, and 2.33 GHz processor. 

3-4 times per day (or more) the CPU cranks up on my machine, and typically about 50% of it is due to Symantec Service Framework.  What is the reason behind the CPU increase?  Is it multiple downloads of virus definitions?  Updates to NIS?  Is there something I can do? 

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Symantec Service Framework frequently using 50% of CPU

Hi,

We have already released NIS 2012 version and its the latest from our products.

You can directly download it from the link www.norton.com/nis12

If you are downloading the trial from the above link, please activate it with your old product key and also to be on safer side just backup your identity safe data but it should not be a problem actually.

Or else you can use the check from new version option from the main UI->About also for upgrading the product.

Once you install NIS 2012 please run live updates untill you get the version 19.1.1.3(last patch update). Make sure you are updated to this patch so that you would get the next patch update for Firefox 7.0 compatibility.

Please update us after using the NIS 2012, hope you should not have any CPU usage there.

Regards,

Prasanna

Kudos0

Hi imamuch:

Welcome to the forum.

Firstly, it looks like you have an out-of-date version of NIS 2009 on your system.  If you have a vaild subscription you're eligible for a free upgrade to the new NIS 2012 v. 19.1.1.3.  In NIS 2011, I can upgrade automatically from Support | New Version Check, but if you post back we can provide links for older NIS 2010 and 2011 versions as well if you prefer.

As for the high CPU usage by the Symantec Service Framework (ccSvcHst.exe), does this normally occur when your system is idle?  There are several background Norton tasks that run during system idles that are listed at the bottom of the Norton Tasks window (Performance | Norton Tasks), and it's not unusual for a background Idle Full System Scan or Insight Optimizer defrag to use high amounts of CPU for extended periods of time.  If you look at the top graph in the Norton Tasks window and click on the CPU tab, CPU usage by ccSvcHst.exe will appear as yellow peaks, while non-Norton programs will appear as blue peaks.  These background Norton tasks will be suspended immediately if you move your mouse or do anything to bring your system out of idle mode.

If necessary (i.e., if your system freezes or becomes unresponsive after going into idle mode), all these tasks except for Idle Quick Scan and Norton Insight can be disabled from your NIS settings.  However, disabling Automatic LiveUpdates and Idle Full System Scans will compromise the security of your system and you will have to perform a daily LiveUpdate and weekly/monthly Full System scan manually (or schedule a full system scan to run at a specific time) to keep your system protected.

Do you have any other security software installed on your system that runs in real-time protection mode?  You could also have some software like a disk defragger running a background task on your PC that NIS doesn't trust or mistakes for malware (i.e., because it performs rapid disk read/writes or makes changes to your Windows registry) that may be waking up the real-time protection of NIS and causing high CPU usage by the Symantec Service Framework (ccSvcHst.exe) as NIS monitors the "suspicious" program while it runs to completion.

----
Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2 * NIS 2011 v. 18.6.0.29 * IE 9.0 * Firefox 6.0.0
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS

Kudos0

Hi imamuch:

I forgot to mention in my previous post that if you have a third-party program like a disk defragger or an on-demand malware scanner like Malwarebytes' Aniti-Malware that you are absolutely 100% certain is safe but that NIS doesn't trust, you can configure scan and auto-protect/SONAR exclusions (Settings | Computer Settings | AntiVirus and Sonar Exclusions) so that NIS ignores activity by that program.  This should reduce some of the CPU activity on your computer by the Symantec Service Framework ccSvcHst.exe as well.

If you have other security software like AVG Free, Spybot Search & Destroy, etc. running on your computer in real-time protection mode, it's better to uninstall this software or turn at least turn off  the real-time protection mode and let NIS handle all your real-time protection (i.e., rather than create a scan exception) to prevent any conflicts if you ever do get infected with malware. 

And when I say that NIS doesn't trust the program, I'm referring to programs with poor trust ratings in Norton Insight (see Performance | Application Ratings).

----------

Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2 * NIS 2011 v. 18.6.0.29 * IE 9.0 * Firefox 6.0.0
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS

Kudos1

Hello imanmuch

Welcome to the Norton Community Forum

NIS 2009 did use more resources than the newer versions. I would also recommend updating to either version 2011 or 2012. However, I would not recommend the over the top installation since you are several years behind. Also the 2009 version is not capable handling the malware that is out there today. Your system may be working harder in order to protect you. Since your product is that old, I would recommend a more manual way of upgrading. Please let me know if you want to upgrade free of charge with a valid license and you can use your key from 2009. I can give you the instructions and links if you are interested. Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.
Kudos0

Prasanna: 

Thank you for the quick response.  I upgraded to NIS2012, and it appears to have done the trick, at least initially.  My PC fan is not revving as often as before from ccsvchst.exe. 

I'll continue to monitor the situation in the coming weeks to see if the performance holds up.

Thanks again.

Kudos0

Hi flopot:

Thanks for your quick response.  The upgrade to NIS 2012 appears to have worked without a manual install, but I'll keep my fingers crossed. 

Thanks again.

Kudos0

Hi,

Great to hear that you are much relieved now.

Hope your fan doesn't run often henceforth... good luck... 

Regards,

Prasanna.

Kudos0

Thanks, imacri.  I don't have any other protection software going; however, the upgrade to NIS 2012 appears to have fixed the issue, at least for now.  

Thanks again for your post. 

Replies are locked for this thread.