• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

Is SUPERAntiSpyware (Free Edition) really compatible with NIS?

Hello all,

I installed SUPERAntiSpyware (Free Edition) after seeing it recommended on this forum as an on-demand malware scanner. I did not choose any of the real-time protection options when I installed it.

However, I now notice two things that lead me to ask whether this program can in fact be installed concurrently with NIS without causing conflicts or other problems

1. In my WIndows XP boot log, there are now two SAS drivers that are loaded at boot-up time, in addition to half a dozen Symantec drivers.  The SUPERAntiSpyware drivers are:

Loaded driver \??\C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASKUTIL.SYS
    Loaded driver \??\C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASDIFSV.SYS

2. In my Task Manager display, there is now a service initialized at Windows start-up called SASCore.exe and it is running concurrently with the ccSvcHst.exe services initialized by NIS.

Are these loaded SAS drivers and services likely to cause problems with NIS?

Thanks,  RichD

HP-Mini 110 -1020NR (netbook) 2GB RAM, CPU N270 @1.60GHz, Windows XP Home, SP3, NIS 2011 18.6.0.29 (installed 12h00 GMT 18-JUL-11) , FF5,IE8

Replies

Kudos1

Re: Is SUPERAntiSpyware (Free Edition) really compatible with NIS?

There are almost no reports of SAS free version causing Norton conflicts.  I think I would be tempted to set the SAS service to manual so as not to slow boot down.  It is really just the real time scanning that is apt to cause issues.

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.Mark Twain
Kudos1

Hi RichD,

I don't think this has any adverse effect on Norton.  I've had it installed for awhile with no problems.  However, I am really getting annoyed at everything that thinks it needs to run as a service at startup.  I used to have more RAM than I knew what to do with and now, a few megabytes here, a few megabytes there for all these programs that I only run a few times a month, and I'm running short of memory for the programs that are actually in use.  And SUPERAntiSpyware is insisting that SASCORE needs to be running with an automatic startup:

http://forums.superantispyware.com/index.php?/topic/4135-what-is-sas-core-service/

Kudos1

Hi Rich,

I am not aware of any changes which would include real-time protection with their free version. Please see the following link:

http://www.superantispyware.com/WebHelp/SUPERAntiSpyware.htm#Real-Time_Protection.htm

At the top it says that real-time protection applies to the Professional version only.

However I know that recently MalwareBytes started asking during install sometimes if the user wants to activate the trial which does include real-time protection. So I can't help wondering if there might be something similar going on with SAS. I admit it does not sound right regarding the startup processes you mentioned.

At the above link, please check and see if the options under the Real Time Protection tab on the left side of the browser are present in your installation of SAS. If the options are present ensure that all of them are unchecked.

Similarly click on the General and Startup tab on the left side and check that all of the startup options are NOT checked.

I would also click on the Updates tab and ensure that none of the updates options are checked either.

If you find any of these options checked, uncheck them and restart your computer and see if those processes are still shown at startup.

I'll keep digging a bit more as well.

Best wishes.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.5.0.19 * Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari. Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.5.0.19
Kudos0

Hi Delph and SoJ,

There probably isn't any real-time protections but there are other tabs as I noted above which should probably be checked. There appear to be quite a few options which I think could cause startup processes to fire off.

I don't use SAS very much myself so I can't really say for sure but it would bear checking out those options.

Now we got *3* of us responding at the same time!

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.5.0.19 * Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari. Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.5.0.19
Kudos0

At least we all came up with the same general answer.  

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.Mark Twain
Kudos0

SendOfJive wrote:

Hi RichD,

I don't think this has any adverse effect on Norton.  I've had it installed for awhile with no problems.  However, I am really getting annoyed at everything that thinks it needs to run as a service at startup.  I used to have more RAM than I knew what to do with and now, a few megabytes here, a few megabytes there for all these programs that I only run a few times a month, and I'm running short of memory for the programs that are actually in use.  And SUPERAntiSpyware is insisting that SASCORE needs to be running with an automatic startup:

http://forums.superantispyware.com/index.php?/topic/4135-what-is-sas-core-service/

Hi SendOfJive,

I just noticed the above link you posted. I am with you on that - I too am tired of everything under the sun thinking it needs to run at startup.

In all honesty I will not be using SAS because of this because I think that kind of design is unacceptable for an on-demand scanner - IMHO!

If I ever found a need to actually use SAS for another opinion, honestly I would install it long enough to run the scans and uninstall again.

Allen

Kudos0

delphinium wrote:

At least we all came up with the same general answer.  

LOL, that we did! But then that is generally the case with us!

Kudos0

AllenM wrote:
In all honesty I will not be using SAS because of this because I think that kind of design is unacceptable for an on-demand scanner - IMHO!

I don't uses SAS that much, either.  To be honest, I am considering uninstalling it.  I dumped Ad-Aware a few years ago when it decided it needed to be running constantly as a service.

Kudos0

I don't use SAS and also dumped adaware about the time it quit finding anything at all.  It used to at least beat Norton to the tracking cookies, but alas, no more.

You can't beat SAS for adware though. 

Kudos2

delphinium wrote:

I don't use SAS and also dumped adaware about the time it quit finding anything at all.  It used to at least beat Norton to the tracking cookies, but alas, no more.

You can't beat SAS for adware though. 

That may be true but I take a very dim view of programs which insist on running at startup for no good reason.

I could even surmise from SoJ's link that it was clear that the Developers were just too lazy to make changes such that the on-demand version would just run the services when you are actually doing an on-demand scan and then unload the services when the scan is completed.

To a degree I can understand that since they are providing the software for free but I think they also need to understand this from a user's perspective and realize that if they are going to offer a free on-demand version (by choice I might add) then they should respect the fact that user's don't want services constantly running and taking resources away from other things for a scan which is only run on infrequent occasions.

Alas, maybe one day developers will truly realize this and design accordingly! And I can speak from personal experience as a software developer myself - I always at least try to keep the user's wishes in mind when I design something and always ask myself "Is this really necessary?"

Allen

Replies are locked for this thread.