• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

How to disconnect external hard drive without shutting down

Hi,

I'm running Norton Ghost 15 on Windows 7 64-bit, and it's working great except for one problem: I can no longer use "Safely Remove Hardware" to disconnect the external drive that my backups are stored to.  It always says that the device is in use, even if I'm not running a backup and I don't have Ghost open.

Is there a way to safely disconnect the drive without having to shut the computer down?  I suppose I could use the task manager to kill the ghost process that is holding onto the drive, but I don't know what it's doing, and I don't want to risk corrupting my backups.

Thanks

Replies

Kudos0

Re: How to disconnect external hard drive without shutting down

Hi,

I'm running Norton Ghost 15 on Windows 7 64-bit, and it's working great except for one problem: I can no longer use "Safely Remove Hardware" to disconnect the external drive that my backups are stored to.  It always says that the device is in use, even if I'm not running a backup and I don't have Ghost open.

Is there a way to safely disconnect the drive without having to shut the computer down?  I suppose I could use the task manager to kill the ghost process that is holding onto the drive, but I don't know what it's doing, and I don't want to risk corrupting my backups.

Thanks

Kudos1

Click Start, and in SEARCH, type SERVICES.MSC. In the box that appears, locate the Norton Ghost service and select STOP. Then try the eject. You can restart the service anytime. If the device can be ejected safely after the Ghost service is stopped, then Ghost is likely the culprit.

Also, have you tried any other USB hard drives to verify that it is indeed Ghost?

-Andy
Kudos0

Andy:

In my case Ghost is the culprit in preventing safe external hard drive removal.

I have shut down Ghost services with success to safely remove my external drive. However, this step is cumbersome and annoying.

Thoughts: If I put the PC in standby can I remove the external hard drive safely? I am always placing in PC in Standby and this would be the easiest step I could think of.

The hard drive activity lights are not on when PC is in standby.

Thanks.

Bob

Kudos0

Follow up to Post

12-04-201110:16 AM Andy

If PC is in stand by can I remove the external hard drive safely?

Per Seagate tech support 12/6/11 - No. Since SB does not close Ghost you risk corrupting and or damaging the hard drive. The Seagate tech did not say the 10 curses of the Pharaoh would also befall me but I will take his word for it.

I will either:

Shut down Ghost services

Shut down the PC

Suggestion for future Ghost: Let Ghost shut down through normal "safely remove hardware icon."

Kudos0

I hate to admit it, but I never use 'Safely Remove Hardware'. If there is no activity, I yank the USB plug. I've never cvorrupted anything yet.

In the Ghost GUI > Advanced tab, are you monitioring disk status on said USB drive?

Kudos0

Red says:

In the Ghost GUI > Advanced tab, are you monitoring disk status on said USB drive?

I have poked around in the the Adv T and cannot find any reference to the "monitoring disk status on the USB drive?"

Can you narrow this down for me?

Thanks.

Bob

Kudos1

I don't have that problem, but since I'm bored today I figured out how to do it with a couple tools.

Not sure how much this helps, it's a sloppy workaround really but easier than doing it manually.

It takes 2 free tools, nircmd and USB Disk Ejector.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/nircmd2.html#using

http://quick.mixnmojo.com/software/usb-disk-ejector

I'm using XP, your results may vary, if your using a 64OS you need the 64bit version of NirCmd.

I use NirCmd for some other things, it does a lot of helpfull things from the command line.

The first time you run it, it offers to copy it to the windows folder.  Let it do that so you don't have to specify the full path to the file each time.

The USB ejector needs to be unzipped to a folder out of the way and you need the drive letter of the USB drive you want to safely eject.

For my example the drive is letter J and the extecutable is:

"D:\Documents and Settings\Dave\Junk\USB_Disk_Eject.exe"

You'll need to change that line, make sure you use quotes if the path contains any spaces.

Copy this into notepad and save it to your desktop or somewhere with a .bat or .cmd extention:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

nircmd.exe service stop "Norton Ghost"
"D:\Documents and Settings\Dave\Junk\USB_Disk_Eject.exe" /REMOVELETTER J
nircmd.exe service start "Norton Ghost"
exit

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Works for me, but I have no idea if windows 7 UAC gets in the way

Dave

Kudos0

johnsoncpa wrote:

Red says:

In the Ghost GUI > Advanced tab, are you monitoring disk status on said USB drive?

I have poked around in the the Adv T and cannot find any reference to the "monitoring disk status on the USB drive?"

Can you narrow this down for me?

Thanks.

Bob

Ghost GUI > Advanced tab > Drives sub tab > highlight the USB drive that is the target for backups > Custom Status Reporting > Check No Status Reporting.

Kudos0

Hi Red:

I am at full status reporting on all backup destination drives.

I need to study the difference between  full status reporting vs. no status reporting. The scary comment for "no status reporting" says: "Select this option if the data is unimportant....."  Ugh. Is this "no status reporting" comment  alarmist or do I really need "full status reporting?"

All data is important or you and I would be doing something else.

My comfort level points toward "full status reporting" as all data is critical. 

I will take a peak at the manual and get back to you.

Thanks

Bob

Kudos0

Hi DaveH:

I will put this in my bag of tricks to "safely remove hardware."

Thanks for the post.

Bob

Kudos0

johnsoncpa wrote:

Hi Red:

I am at full status reporting on all backup destination drives.

I need to study the difference between  full status reporting vs. no status reporting. The scary comment for "no status reporting" says: "Select this option if the data is unimportant....."  Ugh. Is this "no status reporting" comment  alarmist or do I really need "full status reporting?"

All data is important or you and I would be doing something else.

My comfort level points toward "full status reporting" as all data is critical. 

I will take a peak at the manual and get back to you.

Thanks

Bob

As far as I know, it just controls the green checkmark on the tray icon.

Kudos0

I use Ghost 14 on two computers, both running Windows Vista.  I have two Western Digital external drives.  On one of the external drives I connect it via USB.  I've never had a problem simply plugging it in when I need it and unplugging it when I'm finished.  On the other external drive, I connect it via eSata.  The instructions from Western Digital state that the drive must be turned on prior to booting the computer, and that the computer must be shut down before turning off the drive.

Replies are locked for this thread.