• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

How do I temporarily disable Norton Security Suite?

I'm having a hard time uploading photos and videos to facebook and youtube. I think because of Norton, but I don't know how to turn it off.. Is there any way to turn it off and turn back on after I upload my videos?  Please help!

Replies

Kudos0

Re: How do I temporarily disable Norton Security Suite?

I'm having a hard time uploading photos and videos to facebook and youtube. I think because of Norton, but I don't know how to turn it off.. Is there any way to turn it off and turn back on after I upload my videos?  Please help!

Kudos0

Hi ineedyouiwntyou

You can try to turn on Silent Mode for a given duration.  See if that helps.

You can make these changes by right-clicking on the Norton icon in the system tray, and select the desired option, then indicate the desired duration for the selection.

RIchD

HP-Mini 110 -1020NR (netbook) 2GB RAM, CPU N270 @1.60GHz, Windows XP Home, SP3, NIS 2011 18.6.0.29 (installed 12h00 GMT 18-JUL-11) , FF5,IE8
Kudos0

You can also try disabling the firewall temporarily.  It should be a right click on the icon in the taskbar.  If that doesn't work, it may be in the security settings in Internet explorer.  

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.Mark Twain
Kudos0

Thanks for the reply. I already turned on the silent mode, but still not working.. My Norton looks different  is not the same like you showed me.. I was trying to attach some photos but my computer just keep on loading.. I don't know how to turn off firewall it's gray they won't let me click it, they're all checked. I'm using mozilla firefox.

Kudos0

Hello Ineed you

I have put in a request to have  your thread moved because I think you are using Comcast Norton Security Suite. Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.
Kudos0

OH, I see.. Thank you!

Kudos0

what should I do now? do you think it's better to uninstall it and download a different norton? but I don't know how to get free norton.

Kudos0

Try this:

Easiest way is to right click on Norton Icon in System Tray and select Disabale Antivirus Auto-Protect, select a duration and OK.

If no tray Icon, Click on Settings > Antivirus > Auto-Protect to OFF > Apply > Set Duration > OK

Make absolutely sure it is turned back on after completeing the installatioln.

Kudos0

I can't click it, because it's color gray..

Kudos0

As a Comcast customer - I think  you should follow the instructions in this link in order to get your Norton Security Site back to a "Green Check Condition":

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/How-To-Uninstall-Reinstall-Norton-Security-Suite-after-a-problem/m-p/870735

Once there (Nortoon in a Green Check condition), try what I suggested.

If you have any problems along the way - please post back and discuss.

Kudos0

I did follow the instructions you gave, but I still got the same norton..I will do it again..

Kudos0

Please go back to my last post - you will see that the link I provided was very different from the previous instructions I provided.

Kudos0

I click the link that you gave me and follow the instructions there..how to uninstall/reinstall norton security suite..I did it twice, but my norton still the same..they're all checked and gray, won't let me click it & I still can't upload photos and videos online..I don't know why, I'm using windows 7 & mozilla firefox..please don't get tired of helping me..thanks!

Kudos0

My desktop norton icon is a square color orange with black circle with arrow going to the right on the left side...

Kudos0

Just curious,let's see what is shown in a Diagnostic Report.

Open NSS, click on Tasks and select Run Diagnostic Report on the righthand side under PC Tuneup Tasks.

Let us know if you have all green checkmarks or if some areas are in fact not OK.

Kudos0

yes, they're all green checkmarks.

Kudos0

ineedyouiwntyou wrote:

My desktop norton icon is a square color orange with black circle with arrow going to the right on the left side...

Does your desktop Icon look like this?

If so double click on it and try this again:

Click on Settings > Antivirus > Auto-Protect to OFF > Apply > Set Duration > OK

Post back with the results please.

Kudos0

yes, my desktop icon looks exactly like that..I click on settings but I can't click the Antivirus they're all gray except the Identity Protection..that's the only one I can click..

Kudos0

How long have you been using Norton Security Suite?

What product were you using before?

What other real time scanners do you have installed?

Dave

Kudos0

ineedyouiwntyou wrote:

yes, my desktop icon looks exactly like that..I click on settings but I can't click the Antivirus they're all gray except the Identity Protection..that's the only one I can click..

I'm grasping at straws, but just a quick question - what happens if you right click your desktop icon and select Run as Administrator, and then answer Yes to the UAC question. 

Any difference?

Kudos0

DaveH,
I been using norton 3 months now... I had AVG before..

Yank,
 I did what you said, but still the same..

Kudos0

Open NSS and click on Support in the upper right hand corner.  It should provide a drop-down menu - click on About.  What is the version number?  The latest is 5.1.0.29.

Also what is the version numbe of Firefox that you are using?  Open FireFox, Click on Help >About Firefox.  If you are not up to date, a download will begin, it is up to you if want to clcik on the Apply Update button or not.  I have FF version 7.01 installed with my NSS and everything is running smoothly.

Please post back with what you find.

Also, you said you had AVG installed prior to Norton.  Have you had this problem with uploading photos/videos since you first installed Norton or has it just recently started?  There is a removal tool for AVG that you can run - just in case there are remnants of it remaining.  The removal tools can be foudn here:  http://www.avg.com/us-en/utilities - be sure to select the correct one - either 32 bit or 64 bit dependent on your operating system.

Kudos0

Version: 5.1.0.29
Firefox version: 3.6.21

I already uninstalled AVG..  I don't have a problem before..just recently 2 weeks now..

Kudos0

Is there a reason you have not upgraded FireFox?

Also would it be possible to talk you into installing Internet Explorer - just for as long as it would take to see if the browser makes a difference.  I do not see how the browser could affect it, but on never knows.

FWIW, Version 5.1.0.29 is compatible with IE 9 and FF 7.0.1.

Just to double check, in message 13 you stated you followed the instructions for the uninstall/reinstall of NSS - did you in fact obtain a fresh download from the link I provided or did you use a copy of the download you had saved on your system?

Kudos0

I want to upgrade my firefox..I click apply downloaded update now..and restart firefox..I did it few times, but when I look at my version still 3.6.21.

I have Windows Internet Explorer 8 installed in my computer,but I don't know how to upgrade or should I get a new firefox and internet explorer?

I click the link that you gave me and followed the instructions there on how to uninstall/reinstall NSS. I did it twice actually, but still the same..

Accepted Solution
Kudos0

I am not a full time Fire Fox user, but I do believe you have to exit out of Fire Fox and restart it in order for the update to take effect.  I have also heard that you may have to run it  few times in order to get up to 7.0.1 - in other words, it may update from 3 to 4 and thenrun it agina to update to 5 etc.  It appears you covered all those areas already.

IE9 will only work on Vista and Win 7, not XP - I should have asked long ago what operating system you are using?

Kudos0

OK. I will keep on trying to upgrade my firefox, until it becomes 7.0.1.. maybe it's the solution to my problem..

Thank you so much for helping me.. God bless you!

Kudos0

ineedyouiwntyou wrote:

OK. I will keep on trying to upgrade my firefox, until it becomes 7.0.1.. maybe it's the solution to my problem..

Thank you so much for helping me.. God bless you!

Peanut gallery suggestion:

Just do a control panel uninstall of the current version AFTER you save any of the items that you will want to use later and download the current version and install it. My friend Murphy says that 'if it can go wrong. it will, usually at the worst possible moment'. Don't give him a chance to play with your system

Dick Win7x64 SP1 current NSBU
Kudos0

Thank you guys so much for the help! I can upload pics & videos again..

I uploaded some photos of my NSS on my page..

Kudos0

Wha ta battle - glad you got it sorted!

Kudos0

Thanks for your help!

Replies are locked for this thread.