• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

The internet Takes over my Hotmail account and send out links!!!

Has anyone any ideas..  The internet appears to take over my hotmail account and send out malicious emails with links on.  The sent email does not appear in the sent items.. I have run a virus check and all is fine.  It has only happened 2 or 3 times that I am aware off over the past several months... How do I stop this??

Replies

Kudos0

Re: The internet Takes over my Hotmail account and send out links!!!

Has anyone any ideas..  The internet appears to take over my hotmail account and send out malicious emails with links on.  The sent email does not appear in the sent items.. I have run a virus check and all is fine.  It has only happened 2 or 3 times that I am aware off over the past several months... How do I stop this??

Kudos0

Hi Jacqandnick,

Welcome to Norton Community!!

Let us know how you found that your hotmail keeps sending emails with malicious links. Is it a delivery failed message(Auto-reply) from non-existing email accounts?

There are several caused for this type of behaviour:

1. Your email address has been used by spammers to send email as if sent from your address, usually accomplished by forging an emails headers with your address. It does not necessarily mean it was sent from your Hotmail account and you won't be able to stop spammers from using your email address. This can occur from use of your real email address on the internet, in newsgroups, clicking on links in unsolicited email, clicking on a link to unsubscribe in an unsolicited email, etc.

2. Someone else's system with your email address in their address book was compromised and all other addresses was harvested by a virus or worm for use as sending spam.
3. Your system or Hotmail account was compromised.(Less chance when you have Norton 360 5.0)

Did you run full system scan using Norton 360 in Safe mode?

If not, try that first. Run LiveUpdate from Norton 360 repeatedly until yu see the message that all updates are installed. Then restart the computer to Safe Mode. In Safe mode, double-click Norton 360 icon and when it prompts to run a full system scan, click yes.

Thanks,

HarryP

Kudos0

Ok thanks.  I found out as it sent an email to me on a work email that was in my address book from hotmail.  i also received a number of dilivery failed emails...  I shall try the safe mode scan.  thanks.

Kudos1

This can be a result of Spoofing by spammers. Spoofing is the "forgery" of an address, to hide the identity of the sender, and is usually done by an Automatic Spamming system, that blindly and randomly, runs through addresses in sequence. The sender information shown in e-mails (the "From" field) can be spoofed easily. It's not actually coming from or thru your account. This technique is commonly used by Spammers to hide the origin of their e-mails and leads to problems such as misdirected bounces. All you can do is delete the emails, and run full system scan on weekly basis to make sure that you are protected.

Thanks,

HarryP

Kudos1

Hi Jacqandnick,

It is very rare that this sort of problem involves malware, so your scans are not likely to turn up anything.  If this is a case of email address spoofing there is really nothing you can do, as HarryP said.  If your Hotmail account has been compromised, which is not uncommon these days, then there are some steps you should take to secure the account and prevent the spammers from regaining access.  You should change the password and any other means of accessing the account, such as secret questions.  Make sure that no alterations have been made to the account, such as a changed confirmation email address that would cause confirmations intended for you to go to the spammers instead.  In your situation, you should assume the account was probably compromised, and follow the steps in the article below to secure your account:

http://ask-leo.com/is_changing_my_password_enough.html

Replies are locked for this thread.