• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

PC at Risk

I recently upgraded Norton Security Suite provided by Comcast (5.1.0.29) and now find that my system is shown as at risk. I tried running "fix it" and rebooting my machine but it doesn't work, the system still shows as at risk. The date and time on the machine is correct. I'm running Win 7 Pro 64 bit.

Mike

Replies

Kudos0

Re: PC at Risk

I recently upgraded Norton Security Suite provided by Comcast (5.1.0.29) and now find that my system is shown as at risk. I tried running "fix it" and rebooting my machine but it doesn't work, the system still shows as at risk. The date and time on the machine is correct. I'm running Win 7 Pro 64 bit.

Mike

Kudos0

Hi, Mike54,

Welcome to our community!

There are a lot of things that can cause your Norton product, as a whole, to render a verdict of "At Risk." Try double-clicking on the little Norton icon in your system tray at the bottom of the screen, to open the main Norton window; you should see four big indicators. Which one (or ones) is showing at risk--and what reason does it give?

Many of the things it could be telling you are really less an indication of trouble than a cue that you have some work left to do. Are your definitions up to date? If not, you're going to show "At Risk" to get you to run LiveUpdate until you have the latest definitions (this example seems unlikely in your case, because clicking "Fix it" will generally fix that one. But another example--particularly likely for a new installation such as yours--is that you haven't set up your backup yet...and that indicator is gshowing you "At Risk" just to encourage you to do so as soon as you can.

You should do so as soon as you can...but it isn't your security software sounding the alarm that the barbarians are at the gate!

Let us know if this doesn't completely account for your situation or answer your questions, and we'll keep at it until you're ready to click that "Accept as Solution" button here to help the next user concerned about this find their way to some peace of mind too!

Kudos1

Hello Mike54 and welcome to the Community.  You may find that your post has been moved to another Forum, to get you more help.  This Forum is for Norton 360 questions.  If they do move your post, they will live a shortcut here showing where your post was moved to. 

As far as your "At Risk" notice, I can only think of three things... date and/or time incorrect (you've checked and this isn't the problem), your updates are not up to date (you may try running LiveUpdate manually to make sure they are all up to date), your subscription may be expired (since you just upgraded this shouldn't be the problem), did you have any problem activating the Comcast version?  Are you running any other security software?  Just asking..

Kudos2

@ Mike54,

Thanks for starting a new thread, completing my suggestions from the other thread and for supplying addtional info as I requested.  Please check your Norton Tasks and see if the Idle Full System Scan and or the Idle Quick Scan have completed since you did the upgrade.  Click on Performance on main page of NSS, then Norton Tasks (LH side) and finally if either one is NOT shown as Complete, click on the circled blue arrow to start the task.  If both are shown as not complete please let one run to completion before starting the second one.  The Quick Scan will run much faster than the Full System Scan, so you may wan to do that one first.

I'm not sure about the BACKUP casusing your problem, I have never used the backup and I do not have the At Risk, however, a quick check would be to Select Settings fomr the main page and then under Quick Controls (RH side) uncheck Backup and Backup Status Overlays.   This will do two things,Cause your Backup block on the main page to be grayed out and labeled Disabled and if this is the reason for the At Risk it should stop it from showing.  And if incase you are wondering about Silent Mode being grayed out and unchecked - that is the default setting and is not causing your situation.

Please post back with results from what I suggested.

@ PC_confused,

FYI:

There is no subsciption with Comcast NSS, there are no days left on subscription, nor is there an Account nor  a Product Key.  The product is managed by Comcast thru your subscription to Comcst High Speed Internet. 

Kudos1

A non-existent/outdated (>week?) backup will trigger the "at risk" warning unless you turn off backup completely.

What does it say for why it is at risk?

\\ZAPHOD: Win7x64pro; 4.2GHz Sandy Bridge; 8GB DDR3-2133; Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4, 2xGTX580 SLI; Crucial m4 128GB SSD (64GB RST cache); WD 2002FAEX; Seagate 2TB LP, 500GB 7200.10; Enermax Galaxy Evo 1250W; APC RS1500; Antec 1200 | Beta box \\BEEBLEBROX: Win7x64ult; 3GHz Conroe; 4GB DDR2-900; Gigabyte P965-DQ6v3.3, GTX260; 5x250GB WD Blue 4xRAID0; Enermax Platimax 600w; APC RS1500; Antec 902
Kudos0

It showing PC Security is At Risk. The virus definitions show as updated less than 2 minutes ago. Both idle and full systems scans show as completed. Both backup check boxes were unchecled as well.

Kudos1

OK; now open up the PC Security section and let us know why it thinks PC security is at risk....

Kudos1

Thanks for the feedback Mike54

What do you get when you hover over the PC Security Block and click on View Details - what is not show with a green check mark?

Kudos0

It says the pc needs to be scanned for viruses and spyware (which I've done at least 1/2 dozen times in 2 days)

Kudos0

Are the scans shown as completed under Norton Tasks as I asked above?

Kudos0

Ahh, OK--there's definitely an issue here then; seems to be specific to NSS. Huh.

Kudos0

yank wrote:

Are the scans shown as completed under Norton Tasks as I asked above?

Yes and I'm running another now.

Kudos0

Mike54,

We'll see what the scans hold and if a reboot perhaps helps and if not we'll have to remove, run the norton removal tool and reinstall as a last resort fix. 

Kudos2

If the scans and a reboot do not do anything for you, here are the instructions to I suggest your follow for the removal and installation:  You may want to look over them befofe your stat and ask any questions you may have.

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/How-To-Uninstall-Reinstall-Norton-Security-Suite-after-a-problem/m-p/870735

Kudos0

I'll let you know what happens. It may be tomorrow as watching my grandson tends to impede my ability to concentrate on the computer.

Kudos0

yank - Thanks for the information, I don't know any features of that Comcast version.  I'll put that information away for futher use.. 

Kudos0

Mike - that's fine - I'll be gone for awhile later on anyway - Wed is bowling night.

Pc_confused, the basic operation, looks,settings and troubleshooting of the Comcast version vs N360 are the same - just weird things like I explained are different.

Kudos0

I'm all of a sudden getting the same thing Mike along with a message error 3039,65543.  :(  Tried everything so far and nothing has worked.

Kudos0

huntfamily99 wrote:

I'm all of a sudden getting the same thing Mike along with a message error 3039,65543.  :(  Tried everything so far and nothing has worked.

I'm getting this error message too

Kudos0

Uninstalled, removal tool run and reinstalled. Currently "Secure".

Hope it holds.

Thanks for the assist.

Mike

Kudos0

Mike54 wrote:

Uninstalled, removal tool run and reinstalled. Currently "Secure".

Hope it holds.

Thanks for the assist.

Mike

That's good news! 

Anymore problems - you now where to find us!

Replies are locked for this thread.