• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Renewal with CD-ROM

Can I renew my current Norton 360 v 5.0 subscription with a new CD-ROM package (good for 3 PCs)? Do I just pop in the CD and go from there or do I just find the product key & enter that somewhere or what?

Replies

Accepted Solution
Kudos1

Re: Renewal with CD-ROM

It took a while but I finally got an answer & made something of a discovery myself. There is a clickable "renewal" link on the splash page when you open the product - under the number of days left in your subscription. But until I got down to the last week of the subscription, the big red RENEW box took you to the online renewal site which I did not want. Apparently all I have to do is enter my new Product Key and all should be well. The caveat to this is not to renew it until your last day if you don't want to lose any time from the old subscription. When you activate your new renewal date, the old date goes away and the countdown to next year starts.

Kudos0

Hi, rawfarina--thanks for this tip! This information could be extremely useful, if this works for other users. I had been under the impression that buying a new copy of the software in lieu of renewal required a remove-and-reinstall...which in turn requires some extra steps to preserve your settings and reload them once you're done. So what you've discovered could save folks some extra effort if it's replicable.

Note that, if you've lost some subscription days to either of these processes, the helpful folks of Norton's Live Chat customer support staff can help you restore them.

Kudos0

DistEd2 wrote:

[ ... ]. I had been under the impression that buying a new copy of the software in lieu of renewal required a remove-and-reinstall...which in turn requires some extra steps to preserve your settings and reload them once you're done. [ ... ]

Absolutely no need to reinstall -- in fact since teh CD is likely to be several generations older than a current version it's the worst thing you can do unless your exisiting situation is not running well.

Even then it's best to download the installer using your MyNortonAccount's Download button which gives you an updated version, although you would still have to activate it if the subscription was running out or expired.

Just entering the new KEY a few days before the old one expires is all you need to do if the purchased copy is identical in subversion (Standard Or Premium) to the installed Norton.

As you've indicated using a new KEY does wipe unexpired days, hence the advice to delay and save the step of asking OnLine Support to rectify this.

Hugh
Kudos0

Hugh,

I never recommend reinstalling from a fixed source like a CD, for precisely that reason--in fact the route you recommend is in all my instructions--save for Comcast users with NSS, as they have no Norton Accounts. And the Norton Remove and Reinstall Tool also  reinstalls from an online (current) source.

What's cool about this report (for me, the missing piece) is that the behavior of that renewal button changes in the last week before expiration, in a way that doesn't require remove-and-reinstall--a big timesaver.

You, evidently, were already aware of this. Which doesn't surprise me!

But it was news to me!

Kudos0

DistEd

<<  behavior of that renewal button changes in the last week before expiration, in a way that doesn't require remove-and-reinstall--a big timesave >>

I was not aware that anything changed -- certainly to my knowledge it has never been a requirement of activation of the same product with a new key that you reinstall ... unless the subversion was different.

Hugh

Replies are locked for this thread.