• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

Still worried !!!!!! File Insight > Network> dozens and dozens!!!

Dear  All  ( especially  the  helpful  SendOfJive )

I  start  my  computer , connect to internet , launch  Firefox  , open  Firefox History , find  the  You  Tube  song  that I  was listening to yesterday , click  to open and   before it has loaded , the   Norton 360    "Warning  High  CPU  Usage "  pops  up   .  Under  "Activity  > Network  "   there  are  126  "Remote  Connections "!!!

The  YouTube  link  does  not  open  eventually ,  with  the  notice  over  the  YuoTube  viewing  screen   "  Plug in  crashed - Send  Error  Report  "  -  which  I  did .

Before  I  had  launched  Firefox , but  after  I   had  connected  to  the  internet , I   noticed  the  two  TVs  in  the  system  tray  that  denote  being  connected  to  the  internet, had  been  lit  up  so  I   placed  my  cursor  over  their  symbol  and  I  had  received  over  six  million  bytes  from  the  internet  even  before  I  had  launched  a  browser!!!

My   computer  has  been behaving a  bit  slow  recently , but  a  Norton 360  and a SuperAntiSpyware  scan  showed  nothing.

I  have  tried  to  find  out  what  these   "Remote  Connections "   are   from  the  Norton 360  literature  to  no  avail .

What  gives ?

Can  I  block  these  "Remote Connections " ?

Do  they  use  up  the  computer's  memory ?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Still worried !!!!!! File Insight > Network> dozens and dozens!!!

Dear  All  ( especially  the  helpful  SendOfJive )

I  start  my  computer , connect to internet , launch  Firefox  , open  Firefox History , find  the  You  Tube  song  that I  was listening to yesterday , click  to open and   before it has loaded , the   Norton 360    "Warning  High  CPU  Usage "  pops  up   .  Under  "Activity  > Network  "   there  are  126  "Remote  Connections "!!!

The  YouTube  link  does  not  open  eventually ,  with  the  notice  over  the  YuoTube  viewing  screen   "  Plug in  crashed - Send  Error  Report  "  -  which  I  did .

Before  I  had  launched  Firefox , but  after  I   had  connected  to  the  internet , I   noticed  the  two  TVs  in  the  system  tray  that  denote  being  connected  to  the  internet, had  been  lit  up  so  I   placed  my  cursor  over  their  symbol  and  I  had  received  over  six  million  bytes  from  the  internet  even  before  I  had  launched  a  browser!!!

My   computer  has  been behaving a  bit  slow  recently , but  a  Norton 360  and a SuperAntiSpyware  scan  showed  nothing.

I  have  tried  to  find  out  what  these   "Remote  Connections "   are   from  the  Norton 360  literature  to  no  avail .

What  gives ?

Can  I  block  these  "Remote Connections " ?

Do  they  use  up  the  computer's  memory ?

Kudos0

Hi,

can you please let us know which version of Firefox and Flash plugin do you use?

Also include please how much memory your system has.

Thanks!

Windows 8.1 Embedded Industry Pro x64 Hungarian, Norton 360 v21.5.0.19
Kudos1

Do you get a lot of application crashes?  The Norton Performance Monitoring alerts are not messengers of doom - they just tell you when available memory or CPU is in short supply.  If your PC was already extremely busy when you tried to view YouTube, then Firefox's demands on CPU might cause Norton to warn you about the browser, even though Firefox is only the most recently started program of many running programs, all of which are contributing to the resource drain.

If you want to see what connections are happening, download the free TCPView program from Microsoft/Sysinternals.  It will show you what programs are connecting out and to where they are connecting.  Be advised that there are many background connections that Windows and installed applications make routinely so it is normal to see a lot of connections that you would not otherwise be aware of - don't assume that they are dangerous.

If something malicious were connecting out, Norton's IPS would normally detect it, block it and notify you.  So chances are, what you are seeing are just normal background communications, such as LiveUpdate checking for, or downloading, new definitions, etc.

Kudos0

Also, unfortunately, as our machines age, it grows more and more common for our software--which is generally getting updated to take  advantage of design advances and the arrival on the market of newer, faster hardware--to consume the increasingly limited resources our machines can bring to bear. Thus, all of those connections--which are often just what's required for your computer to do what you've asked it to do--start exhausting your computer's ability to keep up, resulting in intermittent crashes like you just experienced.

The connections aspect of this issue is going to get even more common (has actually already started) as vendors move more of what we're asking them to do for us into the cloud....

Kudos0

Hi  PapauZ

I  am  using Firefox  7.0.1   and Adode  Flash Player  10.3.183.10 ( ActiveX  Version 10.2.153.1  Plug-in  Version 10.3.183.10 )  which  I   have  just  updated to  11.0.1.152  ( ActiveX  Version  10.2.153.1  Plug-in  Version  11.0.1.152 )

My  computer  has  0.99 GB  of  RAM  -  it  used  to  be I  think  368MB  but  was  upgraded  a  few  years  ago; it  is  an  old  machine ,  the  earliest  Windows  files  I  can  find  are  17 Dec  2003.   I  had  disabled  the  "Automatic  "  update  check  on  Adobe  Flash Player  as  I   could  never  ascertain  its  size .

SendOfJive , Hello  again .  I  very  rarely  get  application  crashes . I  appreciate  the Norton Perfomance Monitoring  alerts ,  but  in  the  instance  I   mentioned  above  I  had  just  switched  the  computer  on, connected  to  the  internet, opened  my  Google  start  page  via  Firefox  then opened  the  Library  history  , located  the  YouTube  song  I had  been  listening  to  the   day   before  and  clicked  to  open  it  in  the  same  Firefox  tab  -  the  only  tab  open .  As  I  said , the  computer  was  still  trying  to  load  that  page  when  the Norton  Performance  Alert  popped  up ( for   firefox.exe )

As  I  mentioned  to  PapauZ ,  it  is    an  old  machine   but  it  still  has  51%  free  space  and  is  not  used  for  gaming . I   got  a  Norton Performance  Alert  today  when  I  had  5  open  tabs ,  so  I   looked  at  the    'Remote Connections '  in  the  'Network  Activity '   and  there  were   hundreds  of  connections -  I  gave  up  trying  to  count  them .  Having  hundreds  of  these  connections  must  surely  slow  down  the  computer ,  and  ,  are  these  connections  one-way (  from  my  computer  to  them  and  not  from  them  to  me ).  You  can  probably  guess  that  I  still  do  not  understand  what  these  connections  are .

DistEd2 , 

"Thus, all of those connections--which are often just what's required for your computer to do what you've asked it to do"-----  but  I  never  asked  my  computer  to  establish  all  these   connections  and  am  quite  happy  to  wait  a  few  milliseconds  OR seconds  longer  for  it  to  do  any  task  that  I  ask  it . I  still  think  that  having  all  these  connections  must  use  up  resources :  probably  I   only  use  a  fraction  of  these  'Remote  Connections' .

Thanks  for  your  patience , all !

Kudos2

Not a problem--we're here to try to help other users get the most help and the least worry out of their Norton protection! But what we're trying to tell you is that you are asking your computer to open all those connections--you just don't know it. "Just" switching the computer on and connecting to the Internet is going to open a bunch. Then opening the Google start page in Firefox ands a bunch more, from two different connection-hungry sources. (And that's not even counting any programs you've asked your computer to run at startup--again, you may not be aware that you've done so, because all you did was install a program that felt it needed to do so by default--they're going to each add a mess more, because pretty much everything at least "phones home" nowadays, to check subscriptions, look for its program updates, serve you an ad, synch your playlist, etc.) Then you tried to play a song from YouTube--again adding a bunch of new connections to the mix.

As SendOfJive's initial posting that you found so helpful on the other thread explained, that basically accounts for the "dozens and dozens" of connections  you're seeing--easily. Yes, absolutely, they're slowing your computer down. But like I said, they're what's necessary for your computer to do what you've asked it to do. Your computer--like mine--is just approaching the age where it's no longer capable of doing even the simple things you've asked--not because you're asking it to do more, but because the software that does it has gotten more complex, to use the added power that new hardware can offer it (because if it didn't,  then nobody would buy it).

Bottom line: it's just the way the computing life works. I've been going through this for a quarter century now. It can be frustrating--but it's nothing to worry about.

Kudos0

Where are you seeing all of these remote connections?  Are they all in the File Insight report for Firefox?  If it's just Firefox I wouldn't worry about it at all.  If the connections are related to other processes that you don't recognize, then you need to look a bit deeper to see if these are legitimate programs or not.  These days, almost every application needs to access something on the internet for updates, etc.

Kudos0

I too am getting messages the most recent, while on Google Chrome says, under Activity: CPU 100% of at least one CPU This also worries me as ignoring it does not sound like a responsible answer. What does it mean and what should I do about it?

Kudos1

Hi meoski,

It just means your PC has a lot to do.  Flash content, if you were watching videos, demands a lot of CPU time, for example.  It is normal for the CPU to occasionally run at 100% and you do not need to do anything about it.  The CPU should return to normal as soon as the high-demand activity stops.

Kudos0

Thanks  for  the  replies.

Yes  SendOfJive ,   all   the File  Insight   Activity  Remote  Connections  are  all  from  the  one  fifefox.exe  . I  have  tried  looking  up  a  few  of  these  connections  but  leaves  me  none  the  wiser  for  some  as  the  destinations  reached  are  double Dutch  unless  you  are  an  experienced  computer  buff .  And   there  are  so  many that   it is  a  time  consuming  and  laborious  business .

DistEd2  ,   the  bottom  line  is  I  would  rather  block  most  of  them   and  I  start  to  feel   disempowered  when 6MB  are  received   by  my  computer   before  I   even  open    0ne   application !!    ( that  feels  a  bit  creepy)

Probably   just  as  well  my  connection  to  the  internet  is  terminated  when  I  turn  my  computer   off  an  the  dial  up  connection  is   aborted

Maybe  I  should  start  an     #OCCUPY  THE  WEB  campaign .

Thanks  for  your    kind  input 

xxx

Kudos1

ROTFL!!

Well, I do empathize. I remember (vaguely, by now!) the first time I had to come to grips with the fact that it was no longer going to be possible for me to know what every single file on my hard disk did, who made it, and how it got there. That was around 1986, I think. Since then, these dang things have gotten so complex and sophisticated that my computers have entire programs on them that I don't have a clue what they do--and even hidden accounts installed by the manufacturer to permit their maintenance techs to remote in to fix problems! That still makes me a tad uncomfortable--but technology marches on, and you have to give up a little control to take advantage of its benefits...because it just gets too complex to be able to control at the granularity we used to. But ultimately, the choice to accompany it or remain behind is yours.

Kudos0

Today    - Halloween  -   I   was   just  on  my  computer  for  less  than  5  mins   and  had  3  open  tabs  in   Firefox ,  which  I  had  just  opened  and  had  not  navigated  to  other  pages  in  any  of  the  tabs ,  when  up  popped  the  Norton  Performance  alert   so  I   clicked  on  it  and  under  Network  Activity   there  were   so  many  Remote  Connections  that  I  gave  up  trying  to  count  them  after  I  had  reached  300 ,  so  I  measured  the  distance  down  the  list  that  I  had  travelled ( about 7mm )   and  with a  ruler  measured  the  remaining  distance  to  the  bottom ( 57mm).

So  I    worked  out  the  total  number  of  Remote  Connections  at   2700  !!!!!!!!!

Surely , if  this  is  correct  and  it  is  not  just  my  computer  having  some  problem  causing  this   ,  we  should  be  informing   ALL  the  Norton  Community   of   this  as  a  point  of  information  ?

I  was  tempted  to  post  a  new  thread  telling  people  of  this   outrageous  number  of  Remote  Connections   but  thought  I  would  post  it  here  for  the  opinion  all  all  your  much  more  experienced  users  .

Replies are locked for this thread.