• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

Driver Manager

A program called "Driver Manager" has appeared on my laptop claiming to be a Norton product. Is it for real, and if so what does it do, what does it cost, and why doesn't the standard Norton package do the same job?

McGregor

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Driver Manager

Norton 360 Premier

Kudos0

I was searching for a new driver for my Matshita DVD drive when I came upon a

Mashita Driver Update Utility site.  It indicated it would download a utility called

"Driver Manager" and it was marked as a Norton Partner.

The description indicated it would search your computer and update all drivers on your

system.

The site address is:   www.drivermanager.com/en/drivers.php?brand=Matshita&logo=pc

Is this Company a partner and is the app OK?

Kudos0

DVD drives don't need drivers except the ones that are provided by Microsoft and are part of the OS.

Maybe I'm paranoid, but do you trust a site that is partnered with Norton and has a competitors name and logo right next to it? Not me.

Kudos0

Thanks, I did not catch that conflict myself.

I didn't really trust them though, that is why I was asking the question on Norton forum.

I also thought my information could help with the original persons question while helping me as well.

By the way, my original problem is that my DVD/CD drive has quit working and the devise manager shows

the following error message:

"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"

When I tried to update the driver it came back saying I had the proper driver.

So I am looking for another method to correct the problem.

Kudos1

papablare wrote:

Thanks, I did not catch that conflict myself.

I didn't really trust them though, that is why I was asking the question on Norton forum.

I also thought my information could help with the original persons question while helping me as well.

By the way, my original problem is that my DVD/CD drive has quit working and the devise manager shows

the following error message:

"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"

When I tried to update the driver it came back saying I had the proper driver.

So I am looking for another method to correct the problem.

Go to the Device Manager and delete it. Then, reboot the PC and let it find the 'new' hardware and it will load the driver that is needed.

Kudos0

Hi,

And if you dig a bit deeper the program that wants to be so helpful will cost you. I believe they have an annual subscription fee for their services of keeping all of your drivers 'current'. If you don't need it, don't buy it

Dick Win7x64 SP1 current NIS V21
Accepted Solution
Kudos1

Hi Dick,

At last, some sense! I wasted many hours trying to get Norton to answer the simple question: Is Driver Manager a Norton product, or not. I was dealing with someone called "Tony Weiss", but I suspect that he does not exist he certainly didn't  read my messages.

Anyhow, thanks for the advice. Dick. I shall now remove it.

Kudos0

i know it said solved but for anyone interested when i went to add/remove under control panel the program highlighted with no add/remove listed...so i went to all programs and used the uninstall listed under the drop down for driver manager...rechecked add/remove control panel and the driver manager program was still listed...i then performed a search for driver manager which listed 2 folders and an application download......my opinion at worse malware...at best invasive, instrusive, and insulting.

Kudos0

McGregor wrote:

Hi Dick,

At last, some sense! I wasted many hours trying to get Norton to answer the simple question: Is Driver Manager a Norton product, or not. I was dealing with someone called "Tony Weiss", but I suspect that he does not exist he certainly didn't  read my messages.

Anyhow, thanks for the advice. Dick. I shall now remove it.

Hi,

Tony does exist. We suspect that he's an AI program at times but others claim to have touched him and state that he's real. As an employee he has to be careful not to bite the hand that feeds him. This makes getting a simple 'yes' or 'no' on some questions very difficult.

To my knowledge the program is not part of the Symantec/Norton line up. If it were I would expect it to behave much more politely and not try to conflict with other Norton products. You know what they say about a house divided against itself.

So, your problem is solved and you have marked the thread solved - thank you.

You know where to find us if you need help again. In the mean time

Stay well and surf safe

Kudos0

thank you dick for your help,

but as crazy as i may sound after i posted here the driver manager program disappeared from the add/remove control panel list, the reason for my post being the fact that it was still there with no add/remove option available to click on and the only program out of the 30 or so on the add/remove control panel list like that . and i still had to manually delete from the found entries from the start menu search.  how can i be sure there are no other remnants remaining as they have proved to me less than forthcoming?

Kudos2

gladi8er wrote:

thank you dick for your help,

but as crazy as i may sound after i posted here the driver manager program disappeared from the add/remove control panel list, the reason for my post being the fact that it was still there with no add/remove option available to click on and the only program out of the 30 or so on the add/remove control panel list like that . and i still had to manually delete from the found entries from the start menu search.  how can i be sure there are no other remnants remaining as they have proved to me less than forthcoming?

Hi,

I haven't searched their site but most of the better security vendors provide a removal tool for use when you find it necessary to eliminate their product from your system. That would be my first choice. If that's not available we'll have to do some digging to find a free tool that will do the job correctly for you.

let us know how it goes

Kudos0

A program called "Driver Manager" has appeared on my laptop claiming to be a Norton product. Is it for real, and if so what does it do, what does it cost, and why doesn't the standard Norton package do the same job?

McGregor

Kudos1

I am not aware of any Norton standalone product called "Driver Manager."  What Norton product do you have?  Can you post a screenshot of the notice you are seeing (instructions here)?

Replies are locked for this thread.