• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

Attempting to install Norton from CD over an existing subscription breaks Windows 7 CD drivers

Dear all,

This is a complete pain and a very shoddy way for a piece of software to behave.

I have been using 360 for a year and as my subscription was coming up for renewal looked into this. Amazon had a special offer of 360 V5 at half price if you purchased another product. Since I was going to anyway I purchased the other item and Norton 360 V5.

My subscription was due to expire yesterday - so I tried to install Norton from the new CD I bought from Amazon.

Norton then uninstalled rather than giving me the option to simply renew. I didn't think too much of this at the time, however 1 reboot later I found that my CD/DVD drive was no-longer recognised by Window 7. A yellow ! had appeared over it in device manager, yet when I checked for updated drivers I was told they were none.

Removing the CD drive from device manager and rescanning resulted in it stating that the driver had failed to install (!)

Reading these and other forums showed that Norton does not unistall fully when you tell it to. Instead it leaves a bit of itself behind which  then blocks all access to your CD drive!

Apparently in order to remove Norton you need to run a special unistall application - multiple times. I could not find this so downloaded Norton again (which promptly screamed that it had expired!) and after a reboot the CD started working again. Thus it is clearly an issue with Norton and no other programme.

After much cursing all that is Symantec I finally got the new subscription loaded. After 3 hours of struggle!

1. Why when you insert a new version of Norton on CD are you not simply given the option to enter the new key and renew?

2. Why does Norton's 'unistall' not actually unistall!

and most importantly...

3. Why does Norton leave behind a piece of itself which then acts just like a virus preventing you from installing anything from the CD drive at all??!

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Attempting to install Norton from CD over an existing subscription breaks Windows 7 CD drivers

Dear all,

This is a complete pain and a very shoddy way for a piece of software to behave.

I have been using 360 for a year and as my subscription was coming up for renewal looked into this. Amazon had a special offer of 360 V5 at half price if you purchased another product. Since I was going to anyway I purchased the other item and Norton 360 V5.

My subscription was due to expire yesterday - so I tried to install Norton from the new CD I bought from Amazon.

Norton then uninstalled rather than giving me the option to simply renew. I didn't think too much of this at the time, however 1 reboot later I found that my CD/DVD drive was no-longer recognised by Window 7. A yellow ! had appeared over it in device manager, yet when I checked for updated drivers I was told they were none.

Removing the CD drive from device manager and rescanning resulted in it stating that the driver had failed to install (!)

Reading these and other forums showed that Norton does not unistall fully when you tell it to. Instead it leaves a bit of itself behind which  then blocks all access to your CD drive!

Apparently in order to remove Norton you need to run a special unistall application - multiple times. I could not find this so downloaded Norton again (which promptly screamed that it had expired!) and after a reboot the CD started working again. Thus it is clearly an issue with Norton and no other programme.

After much cursing all that is Symantec I finally got the new subscription loaded. After 3 hours of struggle!

1. Why when you insert a new version of Norton on CD are you not simply given the option to enter the new key and renew?

2. Why does Norton's 'unistall' not actually unistall!

and most importantly...

3. Why does Norton leave behind a piece of itself which then acts just like a virus preventing you from installing anything from the CD drive at all??!

Kudos0

Re: Attempting to install Norton from CD over an existing subscription breaks Windows 7 CD drivers

It appers to me that when Norton detects another Security (AV) Program is installed it attempts to remove it (even other Norton products).    I know this happened when Comcast switched from McAfee to Norton as the free AV for customers.  It appears the removal that Norton uses is one that does not first remove the other product from Windows, but actually rips it out of the system (rather then disabling the drivers as a removal from  add/remove would accomplish).  I actually believe (although cannot prove) that the NRT ( or a form thereof) is used when over installing - which is causing the CD/DVD driver problems.

I know that doesn't answer all your questions, and that is just my opinion, but I am also sure someone else more knowledegable than I will chime in. 

Kudos1

I have always found, through the years, that when updating a complex piece of software, it is always best to save the data, remove the older version and then do a fresh installation.  As hard as Symantec tries to make it seamless for its users, the fact is that security software is so deep into the operating system to protect it that it is going to cause issues depending on the individual system.

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.Mark Twain
Kudos0

Hmmm,

Sorry I cannot agree with you here. Symantec's unistall should not leave anything that could cause problems, yet it does. I don't really see why a properly comprehensive install log should not enable the unistall to remove the product correctly, or at the very least prevent the problems that I have had.

Since the problem has been reported since version 3 (and at present we are on 5) it makes me wonder on the company's commitment to bug hunt. Don't get me wrong Norton has improved since my last encounter with it - when it was just dire and horribly slow - but problems like this do not improve the company's image. It's made me think twice about renewing next year.

The other point is that the CD should not have just unistalled in any case. There should have been the option to update the subscription yet the was not

Kudos0

I can't help you with the why of what happened to you, but I do wonder why you bothered to

do a resintall. Your new cd should have come with a registration key and if you opened your

360 that expired, you should see subscription status at the bottom with a renew link. It will

give you the option to enter a new registration key if you already have it. Then you'd be all

renewed and good to go. I'm just curious why you didn't do this since it sounds like your 360

was working just fine until your subscription expired.

Replies are locked for this thread.