• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

High Disk Usage

I got a pop-up for high disk usage when the computer was idle.

Origin:  svchost.exe.  I clicked Details from the File Insight menu.  Under Activity, it said it had performed 4 actions.  I clicked More and ended up back at the File Insight menu, which didn't tell me much.  Is there something else I need to do to get more specific information on the actions performed?

I also noticed that when I clicked into History to recheck the information under Activity, it just said "No suspicious actions were performed."

Thanks,

Cody

Replies

Accepted Solution
Kudos0

Re: High Disk Usage

You will have a number of svchost.exe running on your system, many more on Windows 7 and Vista than on XP. Each one is made up of one or more of Microsofts services, and they control pretty much everything that happens on your system. Many of them run on schedule, and it is not unusual for one or more services to start running a task when the computer is in idle. Some of them, like the Disk Defragmenter for example, will initiate some heavy disk usage.

If you go to Start Menu and type eventvwr in the search box and press enter, you will get the Event Viewer. If you check under Windows Logs, and then the submenus Application and System, you might be able to find what happened at the time that corresponds to the entry in your Norton logs.

Kudos0

Re: High Disk Usage

Thanks very much,

Cody

Replies are locked for this thread.