• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos12

Firefox 8 Support for Norton Toolbar

Mozilla has released Firefox 8. During the upgrade process to Firefox 8, Firefox users will be presented with a list of add-ons installed and the user must select whether to enable them or not. This includes the Norton Toolbar.

Symantec has released a compatibility update to bring Firefox 8 support to our 2011 products (including Norton 360 v5) and 2012 products.  For ease and convenience it is recommended that you apply this patch prior to upgrading to Firefox 8. You may already have this patch downloaded via Automatic LiveUpdate.

Step 1. Make sure your Norton product has the Firefox 8 compatible patch by running LiveUpdate and rebooting until there are no more patches available on LiveUpdate. 

Step 2. When upgrading to Firefox v8 , Firefox will check for your add-ons:

Step 3. When prompted to select the Add-ons you would like enabled, select the ‘Norton Toolbar’ and ‘Norton Vulnerability Protection’ checkboxes:

Step 4. Restart Firefox 8

Step 5. If you still do not see the Norton Toolbar, run LiveUpdate again and reboot. The update may have already been applied by Automatic LiveUpdate.

Check in Firefox to make sure that the Norton add-ons are enabled by going to ‘Tools’->’Add-ons’ and select the ‘Extensions’ tab. If they are disabled for some reason, click on the ‘Enable’ button for both ‘Norton Toolbar’ and ‘Norton Vulnerability Protection’.

Screenshot of the 2012 version of Norton Toolbar

Screenshot of the 2011 version of Norton Toolbar

If you are unable to get the patch for your Norton Product, here are a few steps you can take to download the patch:

- Run LiveUpdate continuously until it tells you that there are no updates available.

- Please check the Norton Update Center to ensure you're running the latest version of Norton Internet Security or Norton 360. (Current customers with a valid subscription are eligible for a free update to the latest version.)

Cheers,

Dave

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Firefox 8 Support for Norton Toolbar

I had two updates one after another (itself amazing given the live update issue) requiring a reboot each Firefox 8 is however saying

Norton Toolbar 2012.2.0.2 (disabled)

Last updated 08 November 2011

Kudos0

john7 wrote:

I had two updates one after another (itself amazing given the live update issue) requiring a reboot each Firefox 8 is however saying

Norton Toolbar 2012.2.0.2 (disabled)

Last updated 08 November 2011

Same here. I'm going to reboot again... see if that works.

Windows 7 SP1 32bit - NSBU - 22.0.2.17
Kudos4

There is a product update for NIS 2012 that will arrive after these two - it brings NIS 2012 to 19.2.0.10 and after that the Toolbar will work.

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 -- NIS 21
Kudos0

I had a 3rd update of some 15mb that needed an other reboot. This time its all working in FF, it had the same update date but the version number is now 216. It would help is we were informed of whats going on and what versions we need to look out for if there are problems. What needed 3 reboots no one has said!

Kudos0

Yup.  Just got the 19.2 update but it required THREE restarts!  Update, restart, update, restart, update, restart.  It seems that with every update, a small aspect of the Norton program was changed.  The first update brought with it the MUI folder, the second swaped the 19.1 MUI with the 19.2 MUI folder, the third brought the engine update.

Windows 7 SP1 64 bit (x64), Norton Internet Security 2012, Internet Explorer 9Turn on your social badge like the one I have set up on the left (box surrounding name). Click here to set it up.
Kudos0

Yes, you've to restart  your PC and run LiveUpdate until LiveUpdate says that there are no update applicable to the product. Then it should work.

Check in Firefox in the Addons section if there is no update. Then restart firefox if there was no change or restart the PC at least.

Good luck!

Markus

Kudos2

All,

Starting about now you won't need the extra reboots to fully LU to the 19.2 patch.  The extra reboots were due to us pushing the parts of the patch out and users getting the parts individually.  Now that all are up this should no longer be an issue.

But yes please run LU until you don't get any more updates. 

bk

Kudos0

TomiRed wrote:

There is a product update for NIS 2012 that will arrive after these two - it brings NIS 2012 to 19.2.0.10 and after that the Toolbar will work.

Indeed! Ran LiveUpdate again before the reboot & got the Engine update - Toolbar is now working.

Looks like we got an added surprise today.

Now, if I can just find which extension is freezing Firefox repeatedly, I'll be happy.

Kudos0

I ran update with NO updates many times between the first 2 and 3rd one. It was only an aftewr thought to try again had the 3rd one which can make this update very confusing.

Kudos0

Fix brought by the 19.2 update? Are the reported issue resolved?

Windows 7 SP1 64 bit (x64), Norton Internet Security 2012, Internet Explorer 9Turn on your social badge like the one I have set up on the left (box surrounding name). Click here to set it up.
Kudos1

The easiest way to know you have the part of the patch for Firefox 8 compatibility is to check your about box... if it is 19.2 your good to go.

The rest of the 19.2 patches are not necessary for FF8.

bk

Kudos0

Are the known issues with NIS19.1 resolved?

Kudos1

Hi Mike,

We'll post a fix list later today.

Cheers!

Dave

Kudos0

working fine thanks a lot for the info,,,,,,,,,,,just ran live update once restarted and it automatically popped up  norton toolbar.....

Kudos0

An anticipated update to NIS2012 and a surprise.

Kudos0

After I updated to Firefox 8 my Norton Internet Security 2012 (19.2.0.10) stopped identifying cookies and who knows what else.  I know this for a fact because when I go into the Firefox page for accepting cookies I click on "remove cookies" and I see a host of cookies that Norton should have picked up...and did before the update to Firefox 8.  Plus I visitied several websites known to leave cookies yet whenever I ran NIS nothing showed up.  I did have NIS 2011 before the Firefox 8 update and never had a problem.  I removed NIS 2011 and installed NIS 2012 thinking that this might resolve the situation.  It did not!  Any suggestions or will Norton be addressing this issue in a future Live Update???   

Kudos0

Hi JimJacobs:

I still have NIS 2011 and FF 7.0.1, and NIS 2011 only removes tracking cookies that can report information to a third-party (Settings | Computer Settings | Computer Scans Tracking Cookies | Remove/Ignore/Ask Me) when full system scans and on-demand manual Quick Scans (Scan Now | Quick Scan) run.  Idle Quick Scans do not check for tracking cookies.

As far as I know all other cookie cleaning should be managed from within your browser (in FF7 it's Tools | Options | Privacy | History | Accept Cookies From Sites.....) or with disk cleaners such as the free CCleaner utility.  To test this I ran a manual Quick Scan (3 tracking cookies removed) and then checked the list of cookies in my FF 7 browser (Tools | Options | Privacy | History | Show Cookies) and I found several cookies that were not cleaned by NIS 2011.

It's possible that you used to have FF configured to automatically remove your cookies on exit (Tools | Options | Privacy | History | Clear History When Firefox Closes) and assumed that NIS 2011 was cleaning all the non-tracking cookies for you.

---------

Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2 * NIS 2011 v. 18.6.0.29 * IE 9.0 * Firefox 7.0.1
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Kudos0

Cookie detection is not directly tied to the Norton Toolbar.

Support for Cookie detection in Firefox 8 was released a few hours ago so please make sure you have all the Live Updates and restart if it prompts you.  Let me know if you still see this behavior.

-makoto

Kudos0

Hello,

We release Definition update late yesterday containing the cookie detection for FF8.  Please run live update to make sure you have the latest definitions.  Let us know if this resolves the issue.

You can check if you have latest definitions by checking for the folder under->
<APPData>\Norton\{0C55C096-0F1D-4F28-AAA2-85EF591126E7}\NIS_18.6.0.29\Definitions\VirusDefs

There should be a folder with a name as 20111108.035

Thanks,

digishr

Kudos0

digishr wrote:

Hello,

We release Definition update late yesterday containing the cookie detection for FF8.  Please run live update to make sure you have the latest definitions.  Let us know if this resolves the issue.

You can check if you have latest definitions by checking for the folder under->
<APPData>\Norton\{0C55C096-0F1D-4F28-AAA2-85EF591126E7}\NIS_18.6.0.29\Definitions\VirusDefs

There should be a folder with a name as 20111108.035

Thanks,

digishr

Hi digishr,

For me - NIS 19.2.0.10 on Home XP SP3 -  the folders are NIS_19.1.1.3 (not NIS_18.6.0.29) and 20111109.035 (not 20111108.35). All is working fine.

Kudos0

Well I got 18.6.0.28  

C:\ProgramData\Norton\{0C55C096-0F1D-4F28-AAA2-85EF591126E7}\NIS_19.1.0.28\Definitions\VirusDefs\20111110.002

But I think if the virus defs at the end is later 20111108.035 (November 8), cookie removal defs for FF8 should be added.

Kudos0

Mikedov, are you saying that Cookies are not being correctly removed on your system?

Also, the file path you copied shows 19.1.0.28, not 18.6.0.28, so im confused by which product you have. Regardless of the version of the product, Firefox 8 cookies removal should work.

Kudos0

I have the 2012 version and I may have a typo with 19 and 18. Also I don't use Firefox.
Kudos0

Why do I have nis_19.1.0.28 but nogwhere have NIS_19.1.1.3. However, both our about read 19.2.
Kudos0

Every time I close Firefox 8.0, then restart, I must re-enter my identity safe password.  this started only with Firefox 8.0

I have NIS 2012 19.2.0.10,

Kudos0

We can try updating few plugins after getting upgraded to FireFox 8.0

Please go to 

Try downloading and installing these Plugins:

• Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in
  • Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape
  • Shockwave Flash (Adobe Flash or Flash)
  • Next Generation Java Plug-in for Mozilla browsers

After installing these plugins. Please go to Tools>options> manage add-ons > extensions > Norton tool bar (click enable).

Kudos0

paulswolf wrote:

Every time I close Firefox 8.0, then restart, I must re-enter my identity safe password.  This started only with Firefox 8.0.  I have NIS 2012 19.2.0.10.

Hi paulswolf:

Please see SHO_GuN's post here titled Comments on Identity Safe Since 19.2.0.10 Update. Is the problem SHO_GuN mentioned in the second paragraph of that post similar to yours?

----------

Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2 * NIS 2011 v. 18.6.0.29 * IE 9.0 * Firefox 8.0.0
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Kudos0

Hello all! :-)

Is FireFox 8.01 (latest release) compatible with the Norton Toolbar? 

Thanks.

Cheers,

Herve 

Serious mode OFF: I'm French but i try to treat this matter seriously! LOLSerious mode ON: To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection. - Jerry Pournelle
Kudos2

Yes, it's working fine.

Kudos0

LOL killyourtv

Thanks. Update done... No problems indeed!

Cheers,

Herve

Serious mode OFF: I'm French but i try to treat this matter seriously! LOLSerious mode ON: To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection. - Jerry Pournelle
Kudos0

I still have no norton tool bar on firefox 8

not on windows 7 ultimate nor windows xp 2nd computer

I have ran the update and still nothing

see image

Thank You

Kudos0

Hi ozijon

Welcome to the Norton Community Forum

Form the screen i see that you still have the Toolbar Addon version number 2011.7.2.3

The recent  lot of updates for the NIS 2011 should now have Norton Toolbar Addon with

the version number  2011.7.3.6

This is a link smoe info about the recent updates for Norton compatibility with the release of Firefox 8-

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Firefox-8-Support-for-Norton-Toolbar/td-p/581516

Has Norton Vulnerability Protection been updated thru LiveUpdates to the new version number of 3.2.?

Have you tried to use the default Firefox Theme in case the Theme you are using is not compatible

with the NIS Addons.?.

Disable the Theme you are using then again run LiveUpdates manually till there are no more updates.

Then open Firefox and open the Addons then Extensions  and try Enable the Norton Addons if they

show as Disabled in the list and close Firefox reopen and see if they are now working.?

And you could try and update to Firefox 8.0.1 as well which is the latest version available to users

in the release channel.-

Mozilla Firefox 8.0.1 Download Website -

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all.html

Just a few questions and some simple things to try.

Post back and let us know how you go with resolving this issue.

Cheers:

PS Have you thought about upgrading to Norton Internet Security 2012

it is free for NIS 2011 users.?

Kudos0

Hi I got the  norton internet security

But it says 30 day Trial

I have 300 somting days left on my 360 whats this mean ?

oh and toolbar works on ff 8.1 now with norton internet security

thank you

Kudos0

ozijon wrote:

Hi I got the  norton internet security

But it says 30 day Trial

I have 300 somting days left on my 360 whats this mean ?

oh and toolbar works on ff 8.1 now with norton internet security

thank you

smithy wrote-

PS Have you thought about upgrading to Norton Internet Security 2012

it is free for NIS 2011 users.?

What were you using when you had the issue with the Norton Toolbar

and Firefox 8 ?

Was it NIS 2011?

Or was it Norton 360?

I am a little confused with what version of Norton you had before.

Cheers

Kudos0

I'm using norton 360

I installed the internet security 2012.Toolbar on ff worked ok.

But I reinstalled 360 now toolbar has gone again

I have over 300 days subscription left on my 360 but internet security says 30 day trial ?

so I'm at a los I guse

Thank You

Kudos0

Hi

if you were using Norton 360 and find you would like to use Norton

Internet Security 2012 instead you can contact Norton Support by

Live Chat and they can swap your licence from Norton 360 to Norton

Interent Security 2012. I just confirmed this with Live Chat Support.

Follow this link for Live Chat Support with Norton and explain that

you would like to swap Norton Products and the remaining days left.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/norton/support/contact/chat/ivr_chat.jsp?chatexp=ivr_ts

Follow the prompts language, Product and Version.

Then click on the orange tab then click on live chat and explain the situation

and they will help you to resolve the issue.

The choice i guess is yours if you would like to swap from 360 to NIS 2012.

Otherwise you could try one more thing and that is to run the Norton Removal

Tool which will uninsatll all Norton Products.

I would reccomend you run it twice and reboot the computer between each time

you run NRT.

Then try 360 again and see if this will resolve the issue and don't forget to run

LiveUpdates till there are no updates left.

Norton Removal Tool Link-

https://www-secure.symantec.com/norton-support/jsp/help-solutions.jsp?lg=english&ct=united+states&docid=20080710133834EN&product=home&version=1&pvid=f-home

Follow the prompts and see how you go.

If you still have problems and want to swap products the choice is yours, just

follow the steps mentioned in this post. That is about all i can think of to help you

with this issue.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

PS If you could keep us posted on how you go that would be much appreciated.

And out of curiosity what version Norton 360 are you using?

Kudos0

Hi it works now

I'm using norton 360 5.1.0.29

I uninstalled norton then reinstalled

ran live update 6 times you believe that

and now it works thank you for you time in helping me

ps:working on xp to

Kudos0

Hi ozijon

i am very happy for you that the issue is fixed.

And also very happy that you will continue to use the full protection of Norton 360

And wish you happy safe surfing on the web with Firefox and the Security of the Norton Addons.

Cheers.

Kudos0

I Installed FF8 not knowing of the conflict.  (Post FF8 Install) All norton updates are done.  Rebooted. FF8 Norton is disabled.  Reinstalled FF8 - changing addon/extension options no longer available. 

Any ideas?

Kudos0

Ok.  Have run updater at length. . . prolly 24 times. 

Have rebooted 4 times.  Running undater multiple times in between.

No status change on FF8 extensions

Really, really annoyed. 

Kudos0

johnfffff wrote:

Ok.  Have run updater at length. . . prolly 24 times. 

Have rebooted 4 times.  Running undater multiple times in between.

No status change on FF8 extensions

Really, really annoyed. 

Welcome,

Take a deep breath and relax a bit.

NIS and FF8.0.1 are compatible and the toolbar will work.

Try this, uninstall FF, reboot and reinstall FF

If that doesn't work you may want to uninstall and reinstall NIS. Before you play with NIS be sure to backup your identity safe data. The quickest/safest way to do the NIS thing is to use the Norton Remove and Reinstall Tool found here:

http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20110217171332EN

Warning:  This will uninstall all of your Norton products but it will only reinstall NIS.

Let us know how you progress

Dick Win7x64 SP1 current NSBU
Kudos0

i uninstalled norton and reinstalled.  works great minus all of my stored passwords. thanks for the help and getting a timely solution posted (lmfao)

Kudos0

Hi johnffff:

I posted some troubleshooting tips here in the Firefox forum for users having problems with their Norton toolbar(s).  If my suggestions there aren't any help please post back here with:

• The Norton product you use (NIS/NAV/N360) and version number from Support | About (e.g.,  v. 19.2.0.10)
  • The version numbers of the Symantec extensions in your Firefox browser from Tools | Add-ons | Extensions (see Dave Coleman's post here in message # 1 of this thread for the correct extension versions)
  • The version number of the coFFPlgn.dll file in the C:\Program Files\ folder for your Norton product (e.g., for my NIS 2011 this file is found in  C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Engine\18.6.0.29\coFFPlgn.dll and is currently v. 2011.7.2.3 - for NIS/NAV 2012 the current version is v. 2012.2.1.6)

Edit:

Sorry, just saw your post informing us that the re-install of your Norton product solved the problem.  I'll leave my previous comments up in case anyone else finds them helppful.

--------
Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2 * NIS 2011 v. 18.6.0.29 * IE 9.0 * Firefox 8.0.0

Kudos0

johnfffff wrote:

i uninstalled norton and reinstalled.  works great minus all of my stored passwords. thanks for the help and getting a timely solution posted (lmfao)

Hi John,

My bad. I forgot to add the warning about backing up your identity safe data before doing the uninstall/reinstall. I'll try to get that warning included when I write the message next time.

Dick Win7x64 SP1 current NSBU
Kudos0

Firefox 9.0 is out in it's final version.

Don't believe me? Just change the current download link from 8.0.1 to 9.0

And again NIS Toolbar is broken. So the waiting begins.

Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit / Norton Internet Security v.21.x
Kudos1

Hi SGFC,

Firefox RTM build is available at firefox website, we are able to download and install it, but officially they didn't release yet

So please wait for firefox9 release update from mozilla and install it. Once its released you have option from  Firefox->About->Check for updates to upgrade from 8 to 9

Please watch forum for  firefox9 support for Norton Toolbar,

Hope this helps.

For more information http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/9.0/

Thanks,

Senthil

Kudos0

As this thread deals with the Firefox 8 update, and there is already discussion on the Firefox 9 release, this thread is now locked from further posting.

Tony Weiss | Norton Forums Global Community Manager | Symantec Corporation

Replies are locked for this thread.