• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

CPU and Memory at 100%!!!!

I AM ABSOLUTELY LIVID AND AT WITS END! I have been using NIS for many years now and I've had it! Every single time I get on my computer my CPU and memory skyrocket! We are talking to 100%!!!!!! It also shows 2 instances of explorer. It shows explorer,exe and iexplorer.exe. When I have to bring up the task manager to shut down the programs, which is everytime I use the computer, It always shows two instances of the same program that I have to shut down. That was never the case before using NIS. Eventually my computer will crash and who is going to foot that bill, Norton? Not likely! I, like many other people who have posted the same issue, started experiencing problems when the 2010 version was introduced to my computer and it has continually gotten worse. I, unlike many others on here, am not a programmer, engineer or tech of any kind so I don't know how to do a lot of things but I know enough. I know NIS is the culprit because if I remove it, my computer runs much faster. What good is anti-virus protection when you can't get online to use it? My computers have become expensive useless dust collectors and a complete waste of space! As far as the previous fixes that have been offered to the others such as downloading the renewal tool and reinstalling, that was already done by YOUR people when I renewed my subscription as I had let it lapse for a couple months. Almost immediately, my computer was bogged down and continuously got worse and worse and now is completely useless. This is with YOUR people doing the process! It's not just my PC either, the same goes for my laptop as well. I also turned off the community watch program to no avail. I agree with many of the users in here that the problem does not lie with our computers or our systems. It's obviously a problem with your program and (I quote) "you guys are ignoring the problem when you should be creating a fix for it!" Amen!!  I have always liked and trusted Norton products but not anymore. Unless something can be done about this issue, I will not be renewing my subscription and I will be taking my business to one of your competitors which I prefer not to do. Do you have a resolution for me or should I start shopping around?

Replies

Kudos1

Re: CPU and Memory at 100%!!!!

It is not strange that explorer.exe and iexplore.exe are running at the same time. explorer.exe is the graphical user interface of Windows and must be running at all times. iexplore.exe is Internet Explorer, the browser. You certainly can't shut down explorer.exe, or all your Windows items like the task bar and start menu will disappear.

Which process is it that is using 100% CPU power?

Kudos0

To add to what Bombastus said, besides Windows Explorer, when running Internet Explorer you should see a process running for each tab that you have open, so it is entirely normal to see many instances of iexplore.exe.  The Norton process, ccsvchst.exe, should also show two instances.

Kudos0

shai_jai wrote:

I AM ABSOLUTELY LIVID AND AT WITS END! I have been using NIS for many years now and I've had it! Every single time I get on my computer my CPU and memory skyrocket! We are talking to 100%!!!!!! .

[stuff deleted in the interests of brevity]

Unless something can be done about this issue, I will not be renewing my subscription and I will be taking my business to one of your competitors which I prefer not to do. Do you have a resolution for me or should I start shopping around?

Hi, shai_jai.  A couple of things to note:

1. How much ram is in your machine?  Recent increases in the sophistication of rootkits has resulted in increased complexity when performing idle quick-scans and full system scans.  With machines that are short on memory, this will result in swapfile activity which causes scans to pause and then resume at a later time.  See the following thread for more info:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/NIS-19-2-0-10-Idle-quick-scan-cancels-itself/m-p/589424#M183467

Also in that thread is a mention of DPC Latency Checker, which is used to determine what is actually causing the CPU on affected machines to have high CPU usage.  In your situation, NIS may not be the culprit - but it may be the "canary" that shows something else on the machine is eating CPU cycles that NIS - by its design - is bringing to the surface and thus making the problem obvious to the user.

A discussion at the MSFN forums has further details on how to go beyond what DPC Latency Checker can tell you.  In the threads for that discussion are many many many users who have/had high CPU usage - where the tools used at the MSFN site conclusively show that what "seems" to be the problem is just a consequence of some more-fundamental problem behind the scenes.  See the thread here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/140263-how-to-get-the-cause-of-high-cpu-usage-by-dpc-interrupt

While your problem is not unknown as far as use of NIS is concerned - it is also relatively uncommon.  Millions of NIS users do not have the problem you describe.  Consequently, I suspect there is something else going on with your machine that NIS is making obvious.  And as the threads in that forum post reveal, the thing that is "behind the scenes" is what is causing the problem.  What those users actually described as their original complaint was just the result of something else that did not seem to be relevant to the situation, a bad driver, a buggy BIOS version, and so on.

If you do not feel technically competent to follow the procedures detailed on that website - to "peek behind the scenes" and thereby figure out what is causing your high CPU utilization - do you have a technically-competent friend or associate that can so so?  Personally, I consider the task reasonably easy - but then again I have little problem following well-written instructions.  Many do.  The technical experts at that site are IMO eminently capable of helping you or your associate figure out what is going on.  That they do so for free is just icing on the cake.

That site has an enviable record for finding stuff that baffles many if not most.  I think the site is well worth investigating.

Hope this helps.

BTW, if they do find the source of your problem, please come back and report here.  It will save someone else the pain you are going through.   

Kudos0

I know exactly what you're going through. Although my problems aren't quite as severe as the ones you described, there is a huge problem with Norton using up system resources. The problem on my computer is caused by a small application file within Norton named asoelnch.exe. It's located at C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton Internet Security\Engine\19.2.0.10 and it's described as an "AntiSpam Hook Launcher."  Although it doesn't use much memory on my machine, it does gobble up a huge percentage of my CPU - sometimes up to and including 100% when the computer is idle. My first clue that this particular file is causing a problem is when I hear the fans kick up to maximum speed to try and keep the processor cool. If I open Task Manager and click on the Processes tab, it will show not one but two instances of asoelnch.exe running, each instance using a HUGE percentage of the CPU. These two identical processes only use minimal memory, but the CPU usage goes so high I get constant "High CPU Usage" alerts. I'm not able to end these processes in Task Manager (I get an "Access Denied" message) so the only way I've found to stop this is to do a restart when the CPU usage soars. After the restart, everything is back to normal - for a while. But within a short time, this file starts eating up the CPU and it's the same thing all over again. I just tried going to Norton's support site and let the AutoFix run - it detected and repaired one "installation" item, so I'll see if that does any good.

I'm running Windows 7 Professional, SP1, with an Intel i7 processor and 16 GB of RAM. I have Norton Internet Security 2012, version 19.2.0.10.

Kudos0

Bill2857 wrote:

I know exactly what you're going through. Although my problems aren't quite as severe as the ones you described, there is a huge problem with Norton using up system resources. The problem on my computer is caused by a small application file within Norton named asoelnch.exe. It's located at C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton Internet Security\Engine\19.2.0.10 and it's described as an "AntiSpam Hook Launcher."  Although it doesn't use much memory on my machine, it does gobble up a huge percentage of my CPU - sometimes up to and including 100% when the computer is idle. My first clue that this particular file is causing a problem is when I hear the fans kick up to maximum speed to try and keep the processor cool. If I open Task Manager and click on the Processes tab, it will show not one but two instances of asoelnch.exe running, each instance using a HUGE percentage of the CPU. These two identical processes only use minimal memory, but the CPU usage goes so high I get constant "High CPU Usage" alerts. I'm not able to end these processes in Task Manager (I get an "Access Denied" message) so the only way I've found to stop this is to do a restart when the CPU usage soars. After the restart, everything is back to normal - for a while. But within a short time, this file starts eating up the CPU and it's the same thing all over again. I just tried going to Norton's support site and let the AutoFix run - it detected and repaired one "installation" item, so I'll see if that does any good.

I'm running Windows 7 Professional, SP1, with an Intel i7 processor and 16 GB of RAM. I have Norton Internet Security 2012, version 19.2.0.10.

Hi, Bill 2857.  I think you and shai_jai are describing two different things.  Your problem uses CPU but does not uncontrollably chew up memory.  His problem chews up both CPU and memory.  That would tend to indicate they are different.  It is possible that both problems are related to bad drivers - but your poorly coded driver does not have a memory leak.  Shai_jai's problem definitely indicates that whatever is causing the problem for him is a CPU hog - and that as well as being a CPU hog his buggy stuff also has a memory leak.

So, as mentioned for shai_jai, you may want to investigate what is causing the high CPU usage on your machine in the same fashion as I mentioned in that post.  And again, if you find the problem, please post back here with info as to what caused your particular problem to show up - so again it will save someone else the pain you are going through.  

Kudos0

Hi shai_jai & Bill2857,

I have sent you both a Private Message (  ). Please take a look at it when time permits.

Thanks!

Gayathri Rajendiran
Norton Forums Administrator
Symantec Corporation

Kudos0

I AM ABSOLUTELY LIVID AND AT WITS END! I have been using NIS for many years now and I've had it! Every single time I get on my computer my CPU and memory skyrocket! We are talking to 100%!!!!!! It also shows 2 instances of explorer. It shows explorer,exe and iexplorer.exe. When I have to bring up the task manager to shut down the programs, which is everytime I use the computer, It always shows two instances of the same program that I have to shut down. That was never the case before using NIS. Eventually my computer will crash and who is going to foot that bill, Norton? Not likely! I, like many other people who have posted the same issue, started experiencing problems when the 2010 version was introduced to my computer and it has continually gotten worse. I, unlike many others on here, am not a programmer, engineer or tech of any kind so I don't know how to do a lot of things but I know enough. I know NIS is the culprit because if I remove it, my computer runs much faster. What good is anti-virus protection when you can't get online to use it? My computers have become expensive useless dust collectors and a complete waste of space! As far as the previous fixes that have been offered to the others such as downloading the renewal tool and reinstalling, that was already done by YOUR people when I renewed my subscription as I had let it lapse for a couple months. Almost immediately, my computer was bogged down and continuously got worse and worse and now is completely useless. This is with YOUR people doing the process! It's not just my PC either, the same goes for my laptop as well. I also turned off the community watch program to no avail. I agree with many of the users in here that the problem does not lie with our computers or our systems. It's obviously a problem with your program and (I quote) "you guys are ignoring the problem when you should be creating a fix for it!" Amen!!  I have always liked and trusted Norton products but not anymore. Unless something can be done about this issue, I will not be renewing my subscription and I will be taking my business to one of your competitors which I prefer not to do. Do you have a resolution for me or should I start shopping around?

Kudos0

Welcome,

I am sorry that you are having  a continuing problem. However, I am also glad that you have found your way here. If you can tell us  more about your hardware and software it will be easier to make suggestions which should solve the problem. My initial questions would be what is your operating system, version of NIS and do you have any other security products running - like Micorsoft security essentials? Two copies of programs running sounds like a possible mouse problem. Mine has been known to double click when only one was needed. The chair/keyboard interface is undergoing retraining to improve clicking.

Looking forward to your responses

Dick Win7x64 SP1 current NIS V21

Replies are locked for this thread.