• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

NIS 2012 Reinstall

Hi Everyone,

Maybe I should have started a new message thread ... but I have the identical question that whalas has but I am using the Norton Internet Security 2012 program. Can I use the same procedures noted here for my NIS 2012 reinstall ?

Thanks

[edit:Clarified subject.]

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NIS 2012 Reinstall

Hi Everyone,

Maybe I should have started a new message thread ... but I have the identical question that whalas has but I am using the Norton Internet Security 2012 program. Can I use the same procedures noted here for my NIS 2012 reinstall ?

Thanks

[edit:Clarified subject.]

Kudos0

Thank you Dick for the quick reply and the info.

Richard

Kudos0

Unless you got what you need from the other thread I think you better restate what your problem is now that you have been split off ....

To get you the best advice, would you give us some more information about your system:

What version of Windows are you using including Service Packs and whether 32 bit or 64 bit as well as the Name and Version ID of the Norton product that you are using -- Help or Support / About is where that is, in the format of nn.nn.nn.nnn where n is a number.

If you get any error messages please give the exact wording of them as well as any other background that could be helpful. 

Please also say what internet browser you are using -- name and version number ...

Hugh
Kudos0

A good idea Hugh ... I recently bought a new HP PC. I have Win7 Home Premium 64bit (sp1) OS and running FF 8. With the HP PC came a 60 day trial of Norton Internet Security 2012. I don't have the exact version number of NIS 2012 because I am typing this away from my HP PC. I plan to replace NIS when it expires with a new copy of NIS 2012 which I purchased for far less money than renewing it.

From what I learned in other post I was told to follow these procedures:

• Download the Norton Uninstall program (even though it doesn't say it includes the 2012 Versions)
  • Use Windows uninstall/change software utility to have Win7 remove NIS.
  • Run the Norton Uninstall program. Reboot.
  • Install the new NIS 2012 on my PC.

Are these procedures correct or is there something else I need to be aware of?

Thanks & Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

Rich

Kudos0

AZKID44 wrote:

A good idea Hugh ... I recently bought a new HP PC. I have Win7 Home Premium 64bit (sp1) OS and running FF 8. With the HP PC came a 60 day trial of Norton Internet Security 2012. I don't have the exact version number of NIS 2012 because I am typing this away from my HP PC. I plan to replace NIS when it expires with a new copy of NIS 2012 which I purchased for far less money than renewing it.

From what I learned in other post I was told to follow these procedures:

• Download the Norton Uninstall program (even though it doesn't say it includes the 2012 Versions)
  • Use Windows uninstall/change software utility to have Win7 remove NIS.
  • Run the Norton Uninstall program. Reboot.
  • Install the new NIS 2012 on my PC.

Are these procedures correct or is there something else I need to be aware of?

Thanks & Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

Rich

Hi Rich,

Please don't replace your trial copy. It is a fully functional copy of the current version of the program. The only thing you will need is the key from the package you purchase on sale at the best price you find. When you install it it will give you a full year of protection, updates and upgrades.

Stay well and surf safe

DickWin7x64 SP1 current NIS V21
Kudos0

Rich,

Assuming that your installed copy is running fine and if the planets are right all you should have to do is to take the KEY on the copy of NIS 2012 that you have purchsed and enter it in the activate box on the copy that is already installed.

In principle trial and retail copies are identical functionally -- just a fixe expiry date on the trial.

Sometimes there is a different with certain OEM preinstalls so it just may not work but it should.

If not follow Plan B  <g>

Plan B is as you describe but don't install the NIS 2012 from your disk that you bought but download it from:

Click on this link -- NIS 2012  This will download a single file of around 90MB which you should save on your hard drive where you can use it again if necessary -- Do not select Run but use Save when asked and remember where you put it!

This will download a single file NIS-ESD-19-1-0-28-EN.exe whichis the latest for downloading but after installation needs to have you run LiveUpdate a few times with a restart inbetween until it tells you it's fully uptodate.

Hugh
Kudos0

Assuming that your installed copy is running fine and if the planets are right all you should have to do is to take the KEY on the copy of NIS 2012 that you have purchased and enter it in the activate box on the copy that is already installed.

Thanks Hugh & Dick,

I will try the your 1st recommendation shown above.

On your Plan B .... Click on this link -- NIS 2012  This will download a single file of around 90MB which you should save on your hard drive where you can use it again if necessary -- Do not select Run but use Save when asked and remember where you put it! 

If I have to resort to Plan B will you please kindly educate me as to exactly what this NIS 2012 program does? ... and when I should run it?

My initial thinking of uninstalling the OEM trial version , running Norton's Removal Tool, and then installing the NIS 2012 from the new NIS disk seems logical to me (shrugs), but I know from past experience with Norton products that sometimes Norton can be tricky critters and that is why I rely the gurus here to help me do it right the first time.  Please hang in there with me Hugh & Dick.

Thanks again,

Rich

Kudos1

Hello AZKID44

Hugh is recommending as Plan B to use his link instead of the CD because the CD is static. Since it has been released, there have been program updates. His link will give you those program updates. You wil still need to run live update to get the newest updates. Uninstalling the oem if it should be necessary really isn't necessary to do as a separate operation. NIS 2012 has been designed to uninstall previous recent versions of the same product before it installs itself. So unless you are having major problems with your trial NIS 2012, there is no need to uninstall it first.

I would wait till near the end of the trial period before you put in your new key as it will wipe out the remaining time on the trial version.

Please come back and let us know how you made out. Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.
Kudos0

The link huwyn gave you is the installer for the Norton Internet Security program.  Its almost identical to the one on the CD but its bundled in one nice file so you can carry it around (to install on other PC for example).  Also, the file at www.norton.com/nis12 is almost always the latest version (sometimes the disk have an old version and do not contain the patches of the new version releases).  I always recommend using the online version instead of the disk as the disk is certainly the old version of the installer (but do hold on to the disk as it contains the Norton bootable recovery tool).

Also, you need to restart after uninstalling the Norton program via add/remove.  You almost never need to reinstall the trial version unless its giving you problems (glitches, etc) that cannot be resolve by a simple restart.

Windows 7 SP1 64 bit (x64), Norton Internet Security 2012, Internet Explorer 9Turn on your social badge like the one I have set up on the left (box surrounding name). Click here to set it up.
Kudos0

AZKID44 wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Thanks

Welcome,

Yes, this should be in a new thread, I'll request that it be done. And, yes you can use the same procedure. This assumes that you have the same conditions, etc.

DickWin7x64 SP1 current NIS V21

Replies are locked for this thread.