• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

Norton Tablet Security- Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 related queries

Hi

I am having a problem with Norton Tablet Security &  Samsung 10.1 Galaxy tab, the gui for Norton signin does not work(the screen is messed up, unable to enter password after userid), unable to buy the  product to download onto the tablet. ANy help will be appreciated. I already have a regular Norton account for PCs. Thanks

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Tablet Security- Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 related queries

I'm a little confused.  Norton Tablet Security doesn't use your Norton Account.  Could you provide a screenshot? 

Kudos0

The way I was trying to buy this product was as follows :

1. On my samsung tablet I browsed for Norton web site

2. Then I tried to signin using Norton website, so that I could purchase the product (tablet security)

3. When I clicked on Signin, the pop up for User id (aka email ) and password was messed up, the password field would not accepts the password.

4. Then i tried to buy the product by putting it in the shopping basket, the site again asked me to create an account and the fields were not accepting the input.

5. The signin has previously worked on my PC when I renew my 360

6. I will see if I can capture a screen shot and email it.

Kudos0

A 10.1 Samsung Galaxy Tab has a screenshot button.  

So, the problem you are experiencing isn't a problem with Norton Tablet Security, but with the purchase experience on the online store.  Keep in mind you do not need to order the product from your tablet.  You can order it from your PC and then complete the download and activation process on yoru PC.  

Kudos0

Yes, I am unable to buy the product. The reason I cannot use the PC to buy this, as I need this to be downloaded onto my tablet which has no connectivity  (depends on OTA via Wi-FI). So I figured, I could buy and install in one shot.

I will try the sceen shot and see if it can capture the screen.

Kudos0

The order does not need to be completed on the tablet in order for the download to occur.  Unlike the PC products, you will not have a download manager button show up in your completed order.  I would recommend you place the order on your PC and then perform the download and activation on your tablet after the order is completed.  

Kudos0

OK will try it in the evening and report back. Thanks for your help.

Kudos0

I was able to buy the product, however the license server does not accept the the key provided by Norton. Keep saying it is invalid. The product downloaded onto my tablet, with a  3 day grace period. The support center is swamped. Not sure if the procurement has been tested for tablets.

Kudos0

Could you send me a private message with your order number and product key?  I'll have someone take a look for you.

Kudos0

Sorry how does one send a private message

Kudos0

Click on my User name.  That should take you to a page where you should see an option that says "send user a private message."

Accepted Solution
Kudos0

My bad, I was looking at the order number which had a blown up font, found the product key way down in the order in very small font.  Realised it when you asked for the details. Thanks for  your help.

Kudos0

Glad that I could help.

Kudos0

Fell into a similar rats nest and finally worked through.  May be of use to others.

Brand new Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 Wi-Fi, connected to private network behind hardware firewall applicance.  Wanted to put security suite on it.

Side Comment: I've been using Symantec security products for a very long time, ranging from stand-alone PCs to Small Business running on my internal network and Symantec Enterprise products on client systems, and have always found Symantec's customer interface really miserable.

I first searched web reviews of Android security products using PC and decided to get NMS.  Browsed with PC Norton web site and found NMS at 50% discount ($14.99).  Reasoning that I wanted the product on my Galaxy, I Galaxy-browsed to the product and was told it was not available except via Market.  Went to Market and downloaded/installed Lite, thinking to upgrade.  Upgrade showed $29.99.  So I went to Norton Chat to see what was the issue.  After being bounced through four chat persons, I was told that Market is 3rd party and doesn't offer the discount.  I should purchase on the Norton website using my PC, and I would be given a link to install on my Galaxy.  I did that and got a page with instructions, saying the instructions had to be implemented on my "smartphone."

The procedure was to enter the URL Norton.mobi/nms in my "smartphone" browser and follow the instructions listed below.  I entered the URL and got a message that the URL was blocked.  Thinking that the Lite product was blocking, I uninstalled Lite and tried the URL again.  Got a brief "download started" flash and then nothing.  The next instruction says "Slide down the status bar at the top of the screen to verify the download is complete."  I didn't see anything to slide down.  Repeated the process several times.  Under Browser Downloads on the Galaxy, I saw a half-dozen files of 2.57MB designated NortonMobileSecurity-102.apk to 102-5.apk.  Then I noticed a bunch of down-arrows at the bottom of the screen, each of which said "download complete."  Clicking the latest one took me to another "blocked" message, but pointed me to a place where I could set the Galaxy to install downloads from unknown sites.  Did that and install was successful.  Back to the Norton email validating purchase for the code.  Entered that, and done.

Had I been intimately familiar with the Galaxy manual, I probably would not have been hung up at the "status bar" issue, but my first step with a new device is to put security on it -- not become intimately familiar with the manual.

Kudos0

Hi sheppardjg.

Welcome to the community.  Glad that you have found us but sorry to hear that you have found your experience of trying to use Norton apps on a mobile device so discouraging so far.

I am also glad that you eventually appeared to have got Norton Mobile Security (NMS) set up on your Galaxy Tab 10.1.  However as you may now realise if you have read some of the posts here, and as you have posted in the Norton Tablet Security (NTS) forum rather than the NMS forum, you appear to have the wrong product.  NMS is intended for smartphones and when it first came out users and Norton realised that it was not ideal for tablets, so they introduced a similar product specifically targeted at tablets, this is NTS.  So while NMS should work on your tablet you would probably be better off with NTS.  

Given Norton's excellent refund policy (a full refund within 60 days of initial set up if you do not want the product) this should not present you with any great problem.  I would suggest locating a copy of Norton Tablet Security and then when you know where and how to get it, contact Norton Chat again, tell them what has happened and ask for a full refund on NMS, then uninstall it and install NTS.

None of this will undo the painful learning curve of installing different apps on a tablet but at least you should have a product designed for what you want.

I hope that helps.  If you have any further questions please come back and ask.

Good luck.

Mike
Kudos0

Thanks for the input.

Given that I have NMS working on my Galaxy, would there be any real advantage to replacing it with NTS.  First glance at the descriptions look like the core functionality is the same, but the interface is more for tablets.

Kudos0

sheppardjg wrote:

Thanks for the input.

Given that I have NMS working on my Galaxy, would there be any real advantage to replacing it with NTS.  First glance at the descriptions look like the core functionality is the same, but the interface is more for tablets.

Hi sheppardjg

I would highly recommend replacing Norton Mobile Security with  Norton

Tablet Security for your Galaxy Tab as the app is fully developed for Android

Tablets with the great User Interface and all the features that Tablets require.

NMS has a lot of wasted features which cannot be used with the Tablets,

being all the Anti-Theft SMS commands which means your money would be

better spent on the specifically developed NTS for Android Tablets.

Having used both NMS Full version and NTS on my Xoom Tablet i have found

NTS to be by far the best value for the features that it provides.

So if you can purchase the NTS product from somewhere then contact Norton

Support Live Chat here to get a refund on your version of NMS before the 60 day

period is up that would be the best steps to take.

I hope that info is usefull in helping you to make your decision.

Let us know how you go.  :)

Cheers

Kudos0

Hi Goroor - we had the same problem, support couldn't fix it but we worked it out in the end. You need to turn off predictive text:

Go to Settings - Language and Input . Then under the "personal" section choose "Keyboards and Input Methods", Next to Samsung Keyboard, hit the icon on the right (like a sort of slider) and then against "Predictive text" move the slider to "Off".

Try entering your activation code again - should now work. Good luck,

Chris and Sara