• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Error 3048,3 message from 'Norton Autofix'?

Hello,

I left my pc for just over an hour and when I came back there was an error message in the middle of the screen with the above message? I didn't click on the auto fix, checked NIS and everything appears ok for now. When I looked in my history page, it would appear that live update 'didn't complete successfully', nine updates were in fact installed. I did a quick search of the forums here and would appear to be a bug, in that lots of people have received this notification and couldn't find anything wrong with their security programme, like myself. I can only think this window may have been triggered by the live update not completing properly, although live update failed just a few times before with no error message. Be interestsing to find out what some people here think about this! Never had any major issues before.

One other thing I noticed was my 'idle time full scan' ran for the first time in two months. There was another thread where it was decided it was a known bug when changing scan times so this came as a pleasant surprise.

NIS 2012 latest Ed. W7 Home prem sp1, 64 bit.  No other security software.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Error 3048,3 message from 'Norton Autofix'?

Hello,

I left my pc for just over an hour and when I came back there was an error message in the middle of the screen with the above message? I didn't click on the auto fix, checked NIS and everything appears ok for now. When I looked in my history page, it would appear that live update 'didn't complete successfully', nine updates were in fact installed. I did a quick search of the forums here and would appear to be a bug, in that lots of people have received this notification and couldn't find anything wrong with their security programme, like myself. I can only think this window may have been triggered by the live update not completing properly, although live update failed just a few times before with no error message. Be interestsing to find out what some people here think about this! Never had any major issues before.

One other thing I noticed was my 'idle time full scan' ran for the first time in two months. There was another thread where it was decided it was a known bug when changing scan times so this came as a pleasant surprise.

NIS 2012 latest Ed. W7 Home prem sp1, 64 bit.  No other security software.

Kudos0

Hello,

since that did you get this issue again? I checked the Support pages, and for this issue first a reboot is suggested. If that can not help, a reinstall with the Norton Removal Tool is suggested.

Windows 8.1 Embedded Industry Pro x64 Hungarian, Norton 360 v21.5.0.19
Kudos0

Since I posted earlier, I had another look and what I think it is, the 'Idle full system scan' which ran, showed 'total risks detected' and the 'total risks resolved' as 1,  but on the history pages, doesn't register any resolved risks for that scan? Even on the performance page, it shows for today one idle quick scan but not another and certainly no threat detections. This was why there was probably the alert message because the tracking cookies were not deleted. I ran another quick scan and 13 were detected and removed and they do show in the relevant pages as opposed to the 'Full idle scan' results. 

Kudos0

Please try to run a Full System Scan in Safe Mode:
1. Restart your PC
2. Before the Windows logo press F8 until you see a list
3. Select Safe Mode, and hit enter
4. When Windows is loaded, open the Norton product, and run a Full System Scan.

Let us know the results.

Windows 8.1 Embedded Industry Pro x64 Hungarian, Norton 360 v21.5.0.19
Kudos3

brummie wrote:

Since I posted earlier, I had another look and what I think it is, the 'Idle full system scan' which ran, showed 'total risks detected' and the 'total risks resolved' as 1,  but on the history pages, doesn't register any resolved risks for that scan? Even on the performance page, it shows for today one idle quick scan but not another and certainly no threat detections. This was why there was probably the alert message because the tracking cookies were not deleted. I ran another quick scan and 13 were detected and removed and they do show in the relevant pages as opposed to the 'Full idle scan' results. 

Hi, brummie.  Here is my understanding of your first issue:

The Error 3048,3 occurs when Live Update sees that it is supposed to download and install a particular patch - but the patchfile itself is not available for download at the particular Live Update subserver you are connected to.  This is the bug which has been playing hob with Live Update - and has been the source of discussion for the past few weeks on the board.

Solving the problem involves rerunning Live Update at a later time - once the housekeeping between Symantec's Live Update Servers which autofill the Live Update subservers - have finished their "sync" routines and populated your subserver with the missing update patchfile.  Live Update will then properly install that particular patch on a subsequent run.  Thusly, the entire issue is resolved - other than the item in your History noting there was a failure to install one or more of the requested patches - during the particular Live Update run where you were notified of a problem.

Symantec are in the process of updating the way autofill and autosync are handled between Symantec's Live Update Servers and the various Live Update subservers (which are located all over the world) - in order to prevent a mismatch between what the Live Update manifest says should be available to be installed - and what is actually available in the patchfile cache at the particular Live Update subserver you are connecting to.  Once Symantec have that situation in hand - the entire problem will go away.

On your second issue, my understanding is that what happens when you run QuickScans or Full System Scans - and what you see in your History - depends upon circumstance as follows:

For Idle QuickScans:

1. An Idle-QuickScan does not run the routine that scans for tracking cookies.  Thus, there is no popup offering to delete tracking cookies during an Idle-QuickScan.  Consequently, every history report for an Idle-QuickScan will show no tracking cookies detected and no tracking cookies resolved - even if there are tracking cookies in the browser cache that could have been processed.

For Manual QuickScans:

1. A Manual-QuickScan - initiated from the Norton Control Panel - does run the routine that scans for tracking cookies.  Thus, if there are tracking cookies detected, a Manual-QuickScan will pop up a window giving you the option to delete tracking cookies - if that is one of your settings in NIS for how tracking cookies are to be handled.  Consequently  a History report for a Manual-QuickScan can report tracking cookies detected and resolved - but only if there is something there to find and you manually opted to delete the tracking cookies - or you have NIS set up to autodelete tracking cookies..

2. The reason for the change in operation depending on circumstance is purely pragmatic.  Tracking cookies are not a security threat to the system over the short term - they are only an annoyance.  Thus, tracking cookies can be ignored by Idle-QuickScans and allowed to accumulate until either a Manual-QuickScan is run - or the next Full System Scan is run (whether Idle, Scheduled, or initiated by the user).

3. If Symantec did not do things in the manner described - the results screen for an Idle-QuickScan could pop up in the middle of whatever the user was doing and interrupt them - regardless of circumstance.  This would be especially possible on a powerful multi-core processor.

4. Gamers tend to find the above possibility rather disconcerting - when they suddenly can't see the threat-environment in the middle of a firefight and end up quickly dead as a result. 

5. Gamers are also the people who commonly have precisely the kind of system that has the CPU horsepower and multi-core capabilities which could allow the above situation to occur.  Thus, the need for prudence and for tippy-toeing about when doing Idle-QuickScans.   

For  Idle Full System Scan operations:

1. An Idle Full System Scan has four modes of operation - depending upon circumstance.

2. The four different modes work in a completely different way from QuickScan.  The changes depend upon:

3a)  whether you are present at the machine and respond to the threat-report when the Idle Full System Scan pops up its dialog box during its normal operations (but this does not break you out of Idle mode)

3b)  whether you respond once the Idle Full System Scan has completed but NIS has not yet performed its auto-complete function

3c)  whether you do not respond (because you are not there) and NIS auto-completes the threat-resolution for you

3d1)  whether you respond in such a way that you force NIS out of Idle-mode and thus the Scan is cancelled (NIS 2010, 2011 or 2012-Version 19.1.x.x only)

3d2) whether you respond while the Idle Full System Scan is running and force the Scan to suspend for subsequent reactivation once Idle-mode is re-established (NIS 2012-Version 19.2.x.x and subsequent)

4. The four different response scenarios (abcd) affect how things are noted in your History.

Hope this helps your understanding.

Kudos0

Thanks Twixt for your detailed explanation.

I have found this error too, and it's now January 2012, but it's only happened to me once or twice, and now seems to have stopped. 

Replies are locked for this thread.