• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

NTS for Kindle Fire

Will Norton Tablet Security (NTS) work on the new Kindle Fire?  If not, what Norton product would you recommend for this new device?

Replies

Kudos1

Re: NTS for Kindle Fire

The Kindle Fire is not officially supported, but NTS may work on it.  There is a 60 day return policy so if you were to install it and noticed a problem you could get your money back.  

Kudos1

Hi Bri

If you do try it, we would also appreciate it if you comment back here on whether it worked or not.  So others can be guided on its value to them.

Thanks

Mike
Kudos0

Erik:  Thank you for the quick response re: NTS for Kindle Fire. Your response provoked another question - re: 60 day return policy. Does this return policy apply to NTS purchased online, as well as through a retail store (Ex: Best Buy)?  If yes, then I will try NTS and report back to message board with results. ...

Kudos0

There are no restrictions for the 60 day policy.  The clock starts when you buy the product, regardless of how you bought it.  It's a part of your legal rights as a consumer.  You'd just need to go to http://norton.com/returns to find out how.  That said, I'm hoping that you don't have a problem and thereby don't need to return the product.  

Kudos2

Erik,  NTS works on the Kindle Fire.  Just completed the download and all functions of app appear to work fine.  Thank you for your assistance.   

Kudos0

Great to hear it installed for you.  I know that in some testing there is some inconsistent behavior, but this should be expected since the product was built and released before the Fire was available.  According to a news article Amazon will be sending out an OTA (Over the air) update to the Fire soon as well which may have a positive impact as well.  We'll just have to wait and see what happens.  Thanks for trying it out.  

Kudos0

Bri wrote:

Erik,  NTS works on the Kindle Fire.  Just completed the download and all functions of app appear to work fine.  Thank you for your assistance.   

Hi Bri

This is great news for all current Kindle Fire owners and future customers

who purchase a Kindle Fire as they will be able to purchase and use the

Norton Tablet Security on their Kindle Fire and know that they have the best

Protection and Security that Symantec Norton can provide.

Cheers

Kudos0

Hi.

I had this feeling it would work.

It shows you that the Kindle Fire is based on a Custom Android OS.

That is, customized to Amazon's advantage. Nothing more, IMO.

What about purging their OS and loading Android 4.x?

Atomic_Blast :)

"Every day is just another increment on the bell curve of life."
Kudos0

We do know of some issues that can be seen on the Fire as it hasn't been certified on it yet, but several things will still work.  

Kudos0

I purchased and installed the NTS app on my Kindle Fire succesfully without issues.

However, when trying to install the Norton Anti-Theft plugin (which is supposed to be a part of NTS), Amazon Kindle Fire owners are NOT able to go to Android Marketplace due to device restrictions (and may NOT be able to root their devices as easily now, if at all, thanks to Amazon's latest update).

Instead of requiring Kindle Fire owners to root their devices in order to access Android Marketplace for full functionality of NTS, could Norton/Symantec put a copy of Norton Anti-Security Plugin on Amazon Marketplace as well and allow for the in-app link to redirect to either location?  This small change would help Kindle Fire users everywhere... thanks!

Kudos0

From the browser on your fire, try going to market.android.com and searching for the NAT plugin?  See if you can install from there.  

Kudos0

Thanks for the tip, but it doesn't work.  Amazon blocks access to Android Marketplace in the Kindle Fire (yes, even in the browser).  It's been like that for a while now, and I've been waiting for Norton to put their Anti-Theft Plug-in on Amazon Marketplace...  any other advice?

EDIT:  Just tried to go to an alternate website that can search and download apps from Android Marketplace, but Amazon has blocked that in the Kindle Fire too.

Kudos0

Another thing to try would to go to the Android market on a pc, download the APKand the transfer it to your Fire.
Kudos0

Thanks for the tip.

I tried to download the plug-in from Android Marketplace with a PC, but it asked me to sign into my Google account in order to download.  I signed into my Google account and then clicked "Install" again, but it said there were no Android phones associated with my account (so I can't download the plug-in).

Is there any other way to download the plugin from Android Marketplace so I can transfer it to my Kindle Fire?

Kudos0

Because of this thread, I got NTS for my Kindle Fire, too, and it appears to work fine. But, when I tried to get the anti theft plugin, it took me to the google play store, which doesn't support Kindle fire, either, so I couldn't get it from there. Norton tech support also says the kindle fire isn't supported for the anti theft plugin. Has anyone been able to get this plunging any other way? Or do I need to get the stand alone anti theft product?
Kudos0

Hi cmthmpsn.

I think what this thread shows is that Norton Tablet Security (NTS) appears to work on the Kindle Fire (but if it does not work you can get your money back for the first 60 days), but it also seems to show that the Norton Anti Theft (NAT) Plugin does not appear to work on the Fire.

So why not try NTS?  

The NAT Plugin is a Plugin and intended to plug-in to something such as Norton Mobile Security.  So even if it did work on the Fire you would have needed NTS loaded first.

I hope that helps.

Do come back with any further questions or to tell us how you have faired.

Mike