• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Error when installing Norton_download_manager.exe is not a valid Win32 application

Hi, I apologize if this is a duplicate, but I have searched the forum and could not find a discussion about this particular problem. I am running Windows XP, service pack III, inside a virtual machine (Parallels 5) on a Macbook Pro/Snow Leopard.

When I try to run the norton download manager to install Norton 360 (downloaded from within windows using internet expolorer), as soon as I click "run", I get an error message "C/download location folder name/Norton_Download_Manager.exe is not a valid Win32 application". I have tried both running the download manager right from the download screen (clicking run) and also saving the .exe file to a c:/ folder, then trying to run it, but I get the same error message (the only thing that changes is the download location folder name).

I had no problem when I downloaded and installed Norton Internet Security last year, nor have I had any problems downloading and installing other applications from within Windows.As a matter of fact, I just unintstalled Norton Internet Security today. It always acts just like a "native" Windows machine, until this came up.

Does anyone have a solution for this problem, or insight as to what is going on? 

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Error when installing Norton_download_manager.exe is not a valid Win32 application

Hi, I apologize if this is a duplicate, but I have searched the forum and could not find a discussion about this particular problem. I am running Windows XP, service pack III, inside a virtual machine (Parallels 5) on a Macbook Pro/Snow Leopard.

When I try to run the norton download manager to install Norton 360 (downloaded from within windows using internet expolorer), as soon as I click "run", I get an error message "C/download location folder name/Norton_Download_Manager.exe is not a valid Win32 application". I have tried both running the download manager right from the download screen (clicking run) and also saving the .exe file to a c:/ folder, then trying to run it, but I get the same error message (the only thing that changes is the download location folder name).

I had no problem when I downloaded and installed Norton Internet Security last year, nor have I had any problems downloading and installing other applications from within Windows.As a matter of fact, I just unintstalled Norton Internet Security today. It always acts just like a "native" Windows machine, until this came up.

Does anyone have a solution for this problem, or insight as to what is going on? 

Kudos0

Re: Error when installing Norton_download_manager.exe is not a valid Win32 application

Hi,

Welcome to Norton Community. Please try to download Norton360 from here. Let us know how it went.

Cheers

Kudos0

Thank you! I was able to download and install Norton 360 from that link without the errors. However, I now have another problem. I was trying to download Norton 360 from Comcast/Xfinity, as it is included as a no-charge extra with my internet plan. When I download the file from the Xfinity link, I receive a "service PIN", which I assume is the product key (sure looks like one). However, when I try to use that as the product key for Norton 360 installed via the link you provided, it will not accept it as a valid product key.

Any suggestions on how to either a) obtain a product key so that I can use the version I was able to install or b) download the Xfinity version (if it is perhaps a scaled-down version???)? I assumed it was the standard Norton 360, as Xfinity doesn't say otherwise. However, the PIN provided doesn't work with the version I was able to download.

Thank you again for your assistance!

Kudos0

I think you have correctly deduced what's happened. Comcast/Xfinity distributes a "custom" version of Norton 360, called "Norton Security Suite." This version is "authorized" automatically through your Comcast/Xfinity membership, so you don't have to fork over for a subscription renewal once a year like the rest of us. Consequently, you do not have to activate NSS with a Product Key like we do either.

Unfortunately, since you hadn't thought to mention that detail in your first post (why would you? lol), Subash gave you the standard link to download Norton 360 v.5...which requires that Product Key that you don't have.

You do indeed have to download NSS direct from Xfinity; I'll see if I can dig up the link for you, from an earlier thread, if our Comcast Guru, yank, doesn't get here first and provide it!

Kudos0

pcrail wrote:

Thank you! I was able to download and install Norton 360 from that link without the errors. However, I now have another problem. I was trying to download Norton 360 from Comcast/Xfinity, as it is included as a no-charge extra with my internet plan. When I download the file from the Xfinity link, I receive a "service PIN", which I assume is the product key (sure looks like one). However, when I try to use that as the product key for Norton 360 installed via the link you provided, it will not accept it as a valid product key.

Any suggestions on how to either a) obtain a product key so that I can use the version I was able to install or b) download the Xfinity version (if it is perhaps a scaled-down version???)? I assumed it was the standard Norton 360, as Xfinity doesn't say otherwise. However, the PIN provided doesn't work with the version I was able to download.

Thank you again for your assistance!

Time out please.  Although the Norton Security Suite is in fact free from Comcast and is basically Norton 360 with a few slight differences, you have managed to find one of those differences.  NSS is in fact activated with a 13 digit PIN number and is automatically activated/renewed as long as you remain a Comcast customer.  The PIN from Comcast (Xfinity) will not activate the commercial vrsion of N 360 (which it appears you have downloaded).

So please, just be patient and I will get you a course of action to follow.  It will include links from the Comcast Help and Support Forum's Security Board FAQs.  It will seem like a long drawn out procedure, but in the end, you'll be up and running with the free (comcast)  verison of Norton Security Suite fully updated and ready to protect you.

I'll be back with your plan of attack in about 30 minutes.

Kudos0

Hi,

Please click here to download the Norton Security Suite.

Regards,

Subash

Kudos0

SUBASH_PRABU wrote:

Hi,

Please click here to download the Norton Security Suite.

Regards,

Subash

Subash, as I stated, it's not that easy!

Kudos0

OK pcrail, First a brief description of what we need to do before getting into the actual procedures.

We are going to Export(backup) and save your Identity Safe data (if you use it), remove your N 360 program if it ever installed.  You can tell this by looking in Add/Remove Programs.  We will then run the Norton Removal Tool in order to remove any digital debris left behind by either the removal of N 360 or the unsuccessful install of N 360.  Next we will download a fresh copy of Comcast's offered Norton Security Suite, and update it totally to the latest version and Import (Restore) you ID safe data.

Follow the instructions in this link:  http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/How-To-Uninstall-Reinstall-Norton-Security-Suite-after-a-problem/m-p/870735

A few notes:

-  Please substitue N360 for NSS when it comes to the uninstall via Add/Remove.

-  When you get to the download of NSS from this link: http://xfinity.comcast.net/constantguard/Products/CGPS/norton/ 

Please click on the No Thanks Button for the Constant Guard Protection Suite, which will let you view the Get It Now download button which will provide you with a fresh download of NSS.

If you have any questions about the procedure, feel free to ask.

Please post back with results.

PS: The download Subash provided will work for the download - but you really need to accomplish the preparation, so that we can ensure a clean install and inclusion of your ID Safe data.

Kudos0

[Edit: Ehh, he beat me to it! OK, yank, it's all yours!]

Kudos1

Hi Yank,

The OP had installed N360 right now only so we can eliminate ID safe out, and while installing NSS it will remove the N360 automatically. we go for NRT if there is any difficulty in removing it from ADD/remove or in case of errors after the Installation.

Kudos0

check whether you have any other security program. if so uninstall it.

restart the computer and then try download and install it.