• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

norton utilities 15 recover deleted file

Hi

I just purchased norton utilities 15.  i have a deleted file - word document (not in recycle bin any longer). i try the norton unerase: quick, deep and physcal scan but the file cannot be found.  is norton unerase really working? if so, what is the condition of deleted file that can be recovered?

thanks

andre

Replies

Kudos0

Re: norton utilities 15 recover deleted file

Hi Dick

Thanks for the response.

Since I deleted the file, I have not done (written)  anything to my harddisk.  I did this test because I was curious with the Norton Unerase.  I searched on internet, one article (probably a few years ago) mentioned that Norton Unerase could only recover files that were not protected by Windows Recycle bin.  Another article mentioned that Norton Unerase was not meant to be a full data recovery software.  I am still not sure whether that is true but the result of test that I did was out of my expectation on its functionality.

Regards

Kudos1

If it's your C drive, you have written a lot of data to the drive.  The normal use of windows writes data to the page file, registry, and lots of other places.  Using the internet writes files to the temp internet cache, cookies, etc.

The articles you read may have been about the old versions that used a "norton protected recycle bin".

The new unerase program in NU version 15 appears to be an actual data recovery program.

When you scanned your drives, did you not find a whole lot of files that have been recently deleted?

Dave

Kudos0

DaveH

Good to know

Thank you

DickWin7x64 SP1 current NIS V21
Kudos0

Hi Dave,

When I did my test,

- I created a text file and put it in the desktop, deleted it from desktop and recycle bin

- I created a text file and out in in C drive, deleted it from desktop and recycle bin

Then immediately tried to recover file by searching the pattern such as z*.txt.  There were a few other files with the same pattern found but not the one that I looked for.

I also did another test:

- I created a microsoft word doc and put it in the desktop and C drive, deleted it from desktop and recycle bin. There were not found either but other files with same pattern

Thanks

Andre

Kudos0

I don't have NU 15 installed at the moment and it's been a while since I tried it.  But I remember being impressed that it was now a real data recovery tool.

But I'm familiar with trying to search for specific files.  I usually just browse through the list to find them.   But you might want to try searching for just the extentions.  When a file has been deleted twice, a lot of times the first letter of the filename has been replaced with an undercarriage  _  The filename is not really part of a file but an entry in the master file table.

So you may have better luck searching for *.doc then z*.doc

You also might want to try Recuva to compare the 2 programs.  Recuva is free and it also comes as a portable program that needs no installation.

If you want to try it you can see it here:

http://www.piriform.com/recuva

And get it here:

http://www.piriform.com/recuva/builds

Get either the portable or the "slim" version, the full version comes with the yahoo toolbar.

Dave

Kudos0

Hi

I just purchased norton utilities 15.  i have a deleted file - word document (not in recycle bin any longer). i try the norton unerase: quick, deep and physcal scan but the file cannot be found.  is norton unerase really working? if so, what is the condition of deleted file that can be recovered?

thanks

andre

Kudos0

andrelie wrote:

Hi

thanks

andre

Welcome,

When a file is 'deleted' the operating system just marks the address as being available. Until that address, and the space it refers to, are reused the file can be 'unerased'. Once the space is overwritten with a new file or even the segment of a file it can no longer be recovered. The optimize routine will effectively make it almost impossible to recover files.

Sorry I can't give you better news.

Stay well and surf safe

DickWin7x64 SP1 current NIS V21

Replies are locked for this thread.