• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

disappearing keystrokes in webform

Washington State MyVote has a form for entering into the voter system. Keystrokes disappear as you enter them to check on the status of your registration and to accomplish other aspects of absentee voting. Secretary of State's office thinks it is Constant Guard. Any ideas outside uninstalling all our security. Have tried disabling all security, and lowering our security level, and shutting off constant protection, but it does not help.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: disappearing keystrokes in webform


sharondoubled wrote:

Washington State MyVote has a form for entering into the voter system. Keystrokes disappear as you enter them to check on the status of your registration and to accomplish other aspects of absentee voting. Secretary of State's office thinks it is Constant Guard. Any ideas outside uninstalling all our security. Have tried disabling all security, and lowering our security level, and shutting off constant protection, but it does not help.


Constant Guard - are you a Comcast customer?  

If so how much of the Constant Guard Protection Suite do you have installed? 

Did your  install include  Norton Security Suite?

If you are not a Comcast customer, you can ignore my questions as the "Constant Guard" you are referring to is not the Comcast version.

Kudos0

Re: disappearing keystrokes in webform

I am a Comcast customer and have everything but Backup installed.

Kudos0

Re: disappearing keystrokes in webform

sharondoubled wrote:

I am a Comcast customer and have everything but Backup installed.

Thanks for the response.  There has been quite a few problems with Constant Guard Protective Suite (CGPS) and it's add ons. So IMHO, the first thing you need to do is get rid of all the CGPS.  You need to go into Add/Remove Programs (Progams & Features) and remove all entires for Constant Guard, ID Vault, Guided ID, Comcast (Xfinity) Toolbar and any CA RealTime entires that are present.  Some, or all of them may be present.  Once that is done, reboot.

Next see if Norton Security Suite has been left in tact and is showing that it is still running OK (Green status).  If so, try to complete the Washington State MyVote forms again.

Please come back and let us know what has changed or if you are good.  You may still; have to remove and reinstall Norton Security Suite, but we'll help with that after you respond.

Kudos0

Re: disappearing keystrokes in webform

I sincerely appreciate this advice. However, I'd rather set things up in another way rather than do all this to try to solve for trouble with one website. It's the only issue I've come across with the Norton Suite. I will pass along your tips to the state attorney general's office, who asked me to let them know if there is a solution to the problem.

With gratitude. s

Kudos0

Re: disappearing keystrokes in webform


sharondoubled wrote:

I sincerely appreciate this advice. However, I'd rather set things up in another way rather than do all this to try to solve for trouble with one website. It's the only issue I've come across with the Norton Suite. I will pass along your tips to the state attorney general's office, who asked me to let them know if there is a solution to the problem.

With gratitude. s


As I stated, it is not Norton that is causing you the problem.  we (on the Comcast Forums)  have seen Constant Guard cause problems with numerous sites because of either the way the site is setup or the way Constant Guard attempts to communicate with the specific site.  The Comcast Forum is available as read only for anyone who wants to go there, but you have to be a Comcst customer to be able to register and post. If you have anymore problems/questions about Constant Guard I suggest you (or the AG's office) use the following contact info:  http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/How-to-contact-the-Comcast-Customer-Security-Assurance/td-p/884309

Kudos1

Re: disappearing keystrokes in webform

Hi sharondoubled,

This particular issue appears to be isolated to this specific site and is directly related to a JavaScript function the website owners have implemented to test whether the first name or last name text filed is only alpha characters.  The method employed at the website to check for alpha characters is not the standard approach, which is to check for the input as it is added onKeyUp. The standard JS best practice is to use a regular expression that checks and validates the entire field input at form submission.  Therefore we expect this to be an isolated issue.

It does not appear to impact FF 8 or IE9 based on our initial tests but does on earlier versions of the browsers.

Since it appears to be an isolated issue our recommended fix for users of that site: On the CGPS option menu select the last item “Configure my Anti-Keylogging protection…” and select Temporary Disable when they use that site.

Kudos0

Re: disappearing keystrokes in webform

TYVM CarlostL for this information. 

Just to clarify for me please, are you saying the other way to "fix" (rather than temproary disable) the non working form is to in fact use FF 8 or IE 9?  It just seems to me if this occurs on another site, the best move would be to keep your browsers up to date?

Kudos0

Re: disappearing keystrokes in webform

You are welcome yank.

Correct. The first recommendation is to make sure that IE or FF are up to date, as a standard troubleshooting practice. Since this particular site however uses a non standard approach on their use of JS, if the issue still does occur after updating the browser, the next option is to follow the steps above.

Replies are locked for this thread.