• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

how many computers?

I have Norton Internet Security 2012 installed on my desktop Pc and have just bought a laptop. I was under the impression that I could use my laptop with the same Norton account, in fact up to 3 computers, but checking the info page in My Norton Account it says licensed installs 1 available installs none. I don't really want to shelling out twice for another norton product so does this mean I cant use NIS on my new laptop?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: how many computers?

Where did you get your Norton Internet Security 2012 from? Norton on line and download or from a retail store on disk or from some other source on the Internet? Were you told you were buying a 3 PC version?

If you think there has been some mistake please contact Norton OnLine Customer Support via the CHAT route as below since they have the tools to check exactly what you have.

To contact customer support Click on this link and work on from there. You may have to scroll down a little to see the CHAT button.

Feedback from users tells us that CHAT is by far the best at resolving problems.

Note that that link is to the USA/CAN website so if you are located elsewhere I'm sure you will be able to find the equivalent location on your local Symantec website; some pages have a link at the top right where you can select the country you are located in.

Please let us know how you get on .... 

Hugh
Kudos0

newboy wrote:

I have Norton Internet Security 2012 installed on my desktop Pc and have just bought a laptop. I was under the impression that I could use my laptop with the same Norton account, in fact up to 3 computers, but checking the info page in My Norton Account it says licensed installs 1 available installs none. I don't really want to shelling out twice for another norton product so does this mean I cant use NIS on my new laptop?

Hi newboy,

It is much more common in this day and age to find 3 user/computer versions but as stated by Phoneman you may have purchased a 1 user license instead.

As Hugh said Customer Service can confirm this for you and will correct it if there is any sort of mix-up.

Best wishes.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.5.0.19 * Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari. Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.5.0.19
Kudos0

newboy:

STOP PRESS ---

I just did a google on the word Norton and found this:at the top of the page

http://antivirus.norton.com/norton/ps/3up_nl_nl_navnis360t1.html?om_sem_cid=hho_sem_sy:us:ggl:en:e|k... 

which shows NIS 2012 3 PC for $34.99 from Norton itself .... you don't have to take the special offer for the removal service.

I suggest you contact CHAT as suggested and point them to this special offer, ask them to get it for you and to add on your unexpired 1 PC days since you didn't realize that it was a 1 PC version .....

Hugh
Kudos0

Hugh
Kudos0

Just an update noticed my laptop has a trial version of what appears to be NIS2012 installed so just wondered if I could extend my current subscription when the trial runs out in 59 days or do I have to subscribe again at the same price. I'll try and check with Symantec

Kudos0

newboy wrote:

Just an update noticed my laptop has a trial version of what appears to be NIS2012 installed so just wondered if I could extend my current subscription when the trial runs out in 59 days or do I have to subscribe again at the same price. I'll try and check with Symantec

Hi newboy,

You should wait until a couple of days before your trial period expires before entering your subscription product key. Since you appear to have a 1 computer license currently you will not be able to use the product key from the subscription on your first computer to extend your subscription on your new laptop. However, as stated before you can confirm how many computers your current subscription entitles you to from Customer Service.

If your purchase a new subscription for your laptop and waiting until a couple of days before your trial period expires, you can maximize the length of protection.

Both computers can still be linked to the same Norton Account whether they use the same or a different product key.

After confirming your current license entitlement with Customer Service I would recommend that you consider purchasing a 3 computer subscription so that going forward all of your computers will use the same one. NOTE that the subscription period starts from the time you enter the product key on the first computer - e.g., all computers sharing that product key will expire at the same time.

Best wishes.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.5.0.19 * Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari. Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.5.0.19
Accepted Solution
Kudos0

Been on Symantec chat and they tell me I can activate the trial version already installed  on the new laptop using my existing subcsription product key so thats all fine.

Kudos0

Let us know what you find out from Norton CHAT please.

If you do in fact have a 3PC version then it does not really matter when you use the KEY for it to activate on your laptop because the subscription is already running on your earlier computer and they all run from the activation of the first.

But if you do decide to buy a new 3 PC version to cover both then do wait before you apply the KEY to the laptop trial and then it will not begin to run until you activate for the first time on it.

That $34 offer is good so if you do get that from Norton do ask if they will add the unexpired time from your other copy ....

Hugh
Kudos0

newboy wrote:

Been on Symantec chat and they tell me I can activate the trial version already installed  on the new laptop using my existing subcsription product key so thats all fine.

Hi newboy,

Thanks for the update.

If the product key was good for the new laptop computer then that suggests that you do in fact have the 3 computer version and not the single. Did you ask the Chat Customer Service representative to confirm if you have the 1 or 3 computer version?

And if there was a mistake showing in your Norton Account and Chat told you that it was good for another computer then I would suggest checking your Norton Account again because it would seem that it should now show ONE remaining activation, after you use it to activate NIS on your new laptop.

Have you actually activated NIS on the laptop yet? If not I would recommend to go ahead and do so. As Hugh said, if the KEY you are using on your original computer is the one you use on your laptop then it does not matter when you use it so I would suggest to do it now to give yourself peace of mind that it will work.

Please let us know how it goes.

Best wishes.

Allen

Kudos0

Kudos0

Apparantly you bought the 1 PC version. They sell a 3 pc version also. Check online, a lot of places have sales and rebate offers on NIS. Look at Newegg, Office Depot, and others for thier specials.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832408373

This one is onsale until 12/26 for $5 after rebate.

Jim

Replies are locked for this thread.