• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

NIS 2012 - IDentity Safe online passwords all gone?

I just ordered a couple of copies of NIS 2012. While I'm waiting for them to arrive, I have installed the trial version of NIS 2012.

I already have a Norton account because I have Norton360 v5 on another computer.

Anyways, I created an online 'vault' (or whatever the exact name is) for my passwords so they could be synched between my two computers.

After a couple days work, when I came to work this morning I find that all of the passwords and login info is gone from the online account. I made sure I connected to my Norton account and also the separate password to the login/password account. Everything logged in ok, but all of the passwords are gone. I logged into the online password vault using my web browser and there is nothing.  Any ideas?  I thought this would be very helpful to keep my passwords in sync on my different computers, but not if they go missing....

Matthew

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NIS 2012 - IDentity Safe online passwords all gone?

Hi Allen:

The NIS 2012 version is: 19.2.0.10.

I ordered x2 boxed copies from Newegg (very cheap after the rebate).

I created the online ID safe vault using the trial version of NIS 2012.

The account is the same on both computers.  I had entered some a couple of days ago at home, then yesterday logged in to the online vault here at work (also using NIS 2012 the same version) and added some more links/passwords. Last night when I got home, all of the ones I had added earlier in the day showed up ok.  This morning when I came back to work, my browser said I needed to login to identity safe. I did so, and no passwords. I verified this by also using my web browser and going to the ID safe vault online and there are no passwords or other info.

Matthew

Kudos0

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for the update and clarification.

You said when you came back to work the "browser" said you needed to log in to ID safe. I assume you meant NIS and not the browser correct? Or was this from the Norton toolbar in the browser?

Do you recall if NIS detected an online vault after logging into your Norton Account? Did you have to enter your ID safe password once or twice? Is there any chance that you or someone else could have reset the online ID safe vault such as by entering the wrong password 3 times where NIS would have asked if you wanted to reinitialize the vault? Apologies, just have to ask to cover all the bases.

This is quite unusual as the online vault is becoming quite popular and I have not seen this type of problem reported before. I have also been using the online vault since 2012 came out and the only time I have seen a problem with it was when there was an internet routing problem which prevented communication with Symantec's ID safe server.

Do you have a recent ID safe backup? If so you can import the backup into NIS to recover the information. This is from Settings > Web Settings > Identity Safe > Import Data. Making periodic backups are always recommended.

Best wishes.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.5.0.19 * Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari. Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.5.0.19
Kudos0

I just ordered a couple of copies of NIS 2012. While I'm waiting for them to arrive, I have installed the trial version of NIS 2012.

I already have a Norton account because I have Norton360 v5 on another computer.

Anyways, I created an online 'vault' (or whatever the exact name is) for my passwords so they could be synched between my two computers.

After a couple days work, when I came to work this morning I find that all of the passwords and login info is gone from the online account. I made sure I connected to my Norton account and also the separate password to the login/password account. Everything logged in ok, but all of the passwords are gone. I logged into the online password vault using my web browser and there is nothing.  Any ideas?  I thought this would be very helpful to keep my passwords in sync on my different computers, but not if they go missing....

Matthew

Kudos0

Hi Allen:

"You said when you came back to work the "browser" said you needed to log in to ID safe. I assume you meant NIS and not the browser correct? Or was this from the Norton toolbar in the browser?"

The Norton Toolbar said I was logged out and I had to log in.

Yes, I had to log into the norton account, and then into the online account. (two different passwords).

I guess I can just re-enter the passwords and do an occassional export/backup in case there are any issues. I was trying to get everything in before making a backup, but this time I'll be sure to backup as I go.

Thanks for your help,

Matthew

Kudos0

Hi Matthew,

You are most welcome.

Please do let me know if you see this problem come up again and as much information as possible on what may have led up to it. I am hoping this was just a fluke so to speak but I will start getting suspicious if this happens again.

If you do see this again I can work to try and reproduce it myself and in either case I can make sure Symantec is aware of it.

Best wishes.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.5.0.19 * Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari. Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.5.0.19
Kudos0

Hi Matthew,

What version of NIS 2012 do you have? You can find the version from Support > About. The number will be in the format of 19.xx.xx.xx. Also what version of Windows and SP do you have and is it 32 or 64 bit?

Do you have any other security software installed on the computer(s) besides NIS?

You indicated you are waiting for NIS to "arrive". Just to clarify, did you order a CD boxed version? I wanted to make sure since most online orders contain a download link and you would have received a product KEY at the end of your purchase and/or via email. In either case, when NIS does arrive you need only enter your product key by clicking on "Renew" or "Activate" at the bottom of the main NIS window. Then click on "I have a key or code to enter" in the pop up window, enter your product key in the box provided and hit <Return>. You do not need to reinstall NIS at that time, entering the product key will change NIS from a fully functional trial to a subscription.

Having to do with your online ID safe vault, can you clarify a couple of questions?

1. How did you create the online ID safe vault? Did you do this after you installed NIS 2012 trial version or from some other computer which already had NIS 2012 installed?

2. You mentioned you have a Norton Account because you have N360 v5 on another computer. Was this where you set up the ID safe vault to share with other computers? If so, N360 v5 does not support online ID safe vaults. Could you have created a portable ID safe profile on a USB flash drive instead of in your Norton Account?

3.  Please make sure that you have logged into the same Norton Account on each computer.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes.

Allen

Replies are locked for this thread.