• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

Moving apps from internal storage to micro SD storage on Acer Iconia A500 tablet

I recently downloaded this app so I could move my apps from internal storage to the micro SD card on my Acer A500 tab. When I try to do this however, it brings up details of the app, but does not move it. Can you suggest what may be the issue?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Moving apps from internal storage to micro SD storage on Acer Iconia A500 tablet

Hi 21dt75.

Welcome to the Community and Happy New Year!

I do not know why Norton Mobile Utilities (NMU) is not moving your apps to the SD card and I have not got a similar device to try it on.  But as I'm not sure that anyone else has one at the moment I will see if I can help in the interim.

There could be an issue with NMU and your device but this would not be my first guess and in any case you will have to wait until Norton staff are back and can find a suitable device to try it on.

However some apps will not move to SD card.

But then I wonder why you say that you got NMU specifically to move apps to the SD card.  This should be possible via the functionality of Android.  Try the following press the menu button - then select Settings - then Applications - Manage applications - select the app you want to move (you may need to select "All" the default start is "Downloaded" I think) - then if it can be moved to SD card you will see a button showing "Move to SD card".  If this is dimmed out or not visible then the app cannot be moved.

Does this explain the issue?

Kudos0

Re: Moving apps from internal storage to micro SD storage on Acer Iconia A500 tablet

Hi, 

Thanks for the quick reply, & happy new year to you as well!

Sorry, but there is no option as you describe in android 3.2, maybe there will be with I.C.S. i can go to manage apps, but no option to move to SD card that i can find.

I am unclear, maybe this is an issue with the Iconia Tab, will wait to see what Norton come back with.

Thanks again for the info though.

Cheers

Kudos0

21dt75 wrote:
I recently downloaded this app so I could move my apps from internal storage to the micro SD card on my Acer A500 tab. When I try to do this however, it brings up details of the app, but does not move it. Can you suggest what may be the issue?

Hi 21dt75

There is no App 2 SD with Honeycomb Tablets as the Applications installed

are in the device internal storage and cannot be moved, the SD card is just

used for external storage.

There are no issues with Norton Utilites or any other Apps 2 SD applications

and there is no issue with your Acer Tablet it is just the way Honeycomb

was designed.

Ice Cream Sandwich from what i have seen is exactly the same as Honeycomb

using only the internal storage of  the device with no option to move apps.

so i guess when ICS makes it to Tablets it will be just the same as the ICS

mobiles and Honeycomb tablets.

I think as the devices have advanced they now tend to have a large amount of

internal storage available to the users and the applications that are used and

installed on the device.

So i think Apps 2 SD is something of the past when it comes to the latest

Android operating systems for mobiles and probably will stay the same with

Android  tablets as well.

Cheers.

And Happy New Year 2012.

PS  IT might be different with a rooted device as i am not sure about that. :-)

Kudos0

Sorry if I miss-advised you 21dt75.  

Having now looked up your device I see it apparently has 32 Gb of internal storage.  I am intrigued, why do you want to move active apps to an SD card?

Kudos0

No problem, than you for providing something to try. My model actually has 16Gb of internal storage, but I have added a 32Gb micro SDHC card. My device does not want to send the apps to the SDHC card, only internal. This is a major issue, as I have run out of internal memory. Do you know why this may be?
Kudos0

21dt75 wrote:
No problem, than you for providing something to try. My model actually has 16Gb of internal storage, but I have added a 32Gb micro SDHC card. My device does not want to send the apps to the SDHC card, only internal. This is a major issue, as I have run out of internal memory. Do you know why this may be?

Hi 21dt75

It would appear from your post that you have just started to use a micro SD which

would mean you have been using the Tablet internal memory to store everything in.

If you have music and photos on your tablet it might pay to transer it to the micro

SD to free up some space on the internal storage.

You could also install a file manager app to see what is taking up all the space in

your device. You can also do it with a computer by connecting with the included

usb cable, you might have to download and install a USB driver onto your computer

from Acer as i had to do with my Acer Tab.

Here are a few file manager apps from the Android Market-

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.speedsoftware.explorer

https://market.android.com/details?id=org.openintents.filemanager&feature=search_result

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.metago.astro

And also here is the Acer link-

http://www.acer.com/worldwide/selection.html

And this is the Acer Worldwide link for the USB driver website-

http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/download.htm

But before you download install the USB driver for your computer refer to

your user manual as the info may differ in different countries. This info

did come from my old Iconia Tab A500  PDF manual.

Have a look at the internal storage with one of the apps from above or as

a mass storage device thru your computer and see if you can free up a

bit of space by moving stuff to your microSD card external memory.

Let us know how you go. :)

Cheers.

Kudos0

I'll do some double checking for you, but the reason why likely has to do with the mount points in Honeycomb.  The Internal SD is mounted first and when we try to move to SD card we essentially try there.  Currently we're not able to then check the external SD for now.  There are quite a few file managers on the market, and I'd recommend clearing up some of the internal storage before trying to move apps again.  

Replies are locked for this thread.