• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Is it possible to receive customer support from Symantec?

I have been trying to resolve an issue with Norton 360 for over a week now.  At first I spent several days trying to resolve the issue myself, which involved reinstalling 360, upgrading to the V6 Beta, running traces, disabling drivers, etc etc etc.

When I was not able to resolve the issue myself I  decided to engage Symantec customer support.  After waiting over 20 minutes I was able to use the “chat” function on their website to speak with a customer service rep.  Over the next 30 minutes she did nothing but delete the files in my “temp” directory, after which she said the problem should be fixed and that she was going to reboot my computer.  After the reboot I never heard from her again, no email, no chat, no phone call.  Clearly this is a deceptive practice Symantec uses to disengage from a customer when they are unwilling to correct an acknowledged fault in their software.

Undeterred, I again attempted to use the “chat” function on their website, I was told there would be a 30 minute wait.   During the wait I also called their support line, after a wait of approximately 15 minutes I was connected with another customer support rep, who after I explained to him my problem assured me, “do not worry we will fix this today” (that is a verbatim quotation.) I allowed him remote access to my machine and over the next 30 minutes he did nothing more than delete one executable, claiming it contained a virus, an executable which I am very confident does not contain a virus, but I was willing to trust him give his assurance that he was capable of fixing the problem. 

He proclaimed the problem “fixed.” Before disengaging with him I asked what the procedure was should the problem occur, I was told to call the 1-800 number and I would receive immediate attention and that he was leaving my case open which would ensure prompt attention.

Within 5 minutes of disengaging the customer service representative my machine was once again became unusable, Norton 360 taking more than 75% of the available clock cycles.  At this point I called the 1-800 number as instructed.  After a wait of 15 minutes I was connected to another customer service representative, this representative attempted to engage me in another round of problem resolution at which point I asked to speak with a supervisor.  He said he would connect me to a supervisor, in reality what he did was put the phone down and did not do anything, I could still hear background noise, and after a few minutes, I shouted into the phone, at which point he picked up the phone and told me I should continue to hold and a supervisor would be on the line shortly.

I did as instructed and stayws on the line for another 30 minutes, all the time listen to background noise and static, I again attempted to shout into the phone to get his attention but was unsuccessful this time.  After 30 minutes of listening background noise and static and receiving no attention from either the customer service rep or the supervisor I disengaged and redialed the 1-800 number. 

I was subjected to another 15 minutes on hold, after which I spoke to a 4th customer service representative, who I promptly informed that I wished to speak with a supervisor.  I was put on hold and after 10 minutes was connected with a person identifying himself as a supervisor.

I was told that there was nothing more that could be done and that my issue would have to be escalated and that someone would call me back the next day.  A mutually agreed time was set for a call the next day.

Well not surprisingly no call ever came. 

While lapses in customer service protocol do occur and I certainly understand and accept this, it is clear that Symantec has no facility to resolve duly reported and acknowledge defects in the product.  Worse than that at every level of interaction they provide, false and misleading information, as well as fail to fulfill every and all commitments made to customers while trying to resolve said issues.

I am just curious if anyone has been at all successful engaging Symantec’s customer service organization?

The defect I am trying to resolve is one that clearly is known to Symantec, a Google search turns up thousands of references to the defect many of those references occurring on Symantec’s own forum, and acknowledged by Symantec.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Is it possible to receive customer support from Symantec?

Hi 10021guy,

Perhaps if you give us the details of your situation someone on here can help you.

Kudos0

Do you still have the Norton 360 V6 beta installed?

Betas are developments to be installed on testbeds and should never be used to try to solve a problem because they are not yet complete and their malware detection definitions etc are not updated with the frequency of the released for use software.

So apart from telling us what the problem was that you were trying to solve, and which you say is widely known, you really need to remove the Norton 360 beta, cleanup and then start over.

Please let us try to resolve this with your help -- there's a lot of expertise here ... and no charge.

Here's my boilerplate on background system information and it would help to have the data from you on the system as it was before you installed the N 360 beta:

To get you the best advice, would you give us some more information about your system:

What version of Windows are you using including Service Packs and whether 32 bit or 64 bit as well as the Name and Version ID of the Norton product that you are using -- Help or Support / About is where that is, in the format of nn.nn.nn.nnn where n is a number.

If you have the COMCAST version of Norton 360 / Security Suite and not the normal commercial version please be sure to tell us.

If you get any error messages please give the exact wording of them as well as any other background that could be helpful.

Please also say what internet browser you are using -- name and version number ...

Hugh
Kudos0

Hugh/Yank-

Thanks for your concern; the problem is the well documented ccSvcHst.exe issue where it eats up clock cycles.  I have tried every remedy I could find before attempting to engage customer support.

To date I have spent somewhere in the order of three man days working on this problem, I guess in retrospect I started with a false assumption,  I assumed Symantec would release a product free of known critical defects, or at the very least if there was a defect they would work to remedy it.

I can tell you from my experience nothing is further from the truth.  They know about the defect but are completely unwilling to assist in resolution, actually they go beyond being unwilling to assist in resolution they use lies, misdirection and ignorance to impede the resolution.

I have spent 25 years in the software industry and have never seen anything even remotely like this, I am assuming that my case is not an isolated incident.

Symantec’s business model seems to be if the customer has a problem do everything possible to avoid actually dealing with it and just provide one fairy tale story after another until hopefully the customer goes away.

Again I ask ANYONE out there is there ANY way to successful engage the Symantec customer service organization or is it all just a façade to make people believe they actually provide support for the products?

If I ran a customer support organization like Symantec I would be long out of business or in jail, although I guess with the way their stock price has been going of late, that might be an option for them too.

I have reported Symantec to the Better Business Bureau and hope that others who have found themselves in this situation do the same so that other may be warned of their highly disreputable business practices.

Kudos0

10021guy wrote:

Hugh/Yank-

Thanks for your concern; the problem is the well documented ccSvcHst.exe issue where it eats up clock cycles.  I have tried every remedy I could find before attempting to engage customer support.

OK, you have a ccSVcHst problem of using excessive CPU.  Now that you provided that tidbit, how about telling us what OS you are using, how much RAM your system has, what other Security Programs you have or may have had running on this system prior to Norton 360.  This includes if Windows Defender is turned off or not.  

Also what have you done/tried in regards to troubleshooting/correcting this useage.  Have you made any adjustments to the default settings of N 360.

The more info you can give us about the history of the problem the better.

Yes, I ignored your comments in regards to Norton Support/customer service, etc.   As nothing more than another Norton user volunteering my time to assist others with technical problems, I can not, nor do I attempt to speak for those folks.

We'll be looking forward to hearing more details of your technical problem.

Kudos0

Thanks for specifying the problem.

I don't use N 360 myself so I can't help you specifically on this but I'll ask others to join in to supplement anything Yank can contribute.

Hugh
Kudos0

there should be a phone number on the support web page i have used with good results.

Kudos0

Tightpants wrote:

there should be a phone number on the support web page i have used with good results.

The OP has been to the Customer Support without success and now that we have some details here I'm sure he will get some more help here.

Hugh
Kudos0

Guys-

Thanks for all the offers of help, config is Windows 7 x86, plenty of RAM, plenty of HDD space, plenty of cycles on the CPU.  If you are curious about this issue there are over 100k hits on google when you search for the phrase “ccSvcHst.exe CPU” 

This is a well know issue within the user community and is acknowledged by Symantec.  There is also a 5 page thread on this forum which describes the defect and which does not provide a resolution:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/ccsvchst-using-60-cpu/td-p/413546

As I mentioned in my original post I have tried all suggestions mentioned on this forum, reinstall, clean reinstall, Beta install (suggested by Symantec), disabling of drivers, disabling of N360 features, reconfiguration of N360 features.  I am now at OVER 4 man days on this problem and there is no light at the end of the tunnel.

Having a strong background in software development I certainly understand that defects happen and sometimes they can be tricky to track down.  That is not the case here this is a widely reported and easily reproducible defect.  I would think it would take a technical service rep or a developer all of 15 minutes to diagnose.

All of the above is understandable less than idle but still understandable.

The issue I am trying to address is Symantec’s disgusting business practices.  If you question my characterization go back and reread my original post.  If you are still not convinced you should know that Symantec again failed to fulfill their promised escalate of my case and to have a call between me and a technician today.  Yes that is right AGAIN Symantec failed to participate in a call today, a call which they scheduled and they confirmed.

If they were completely unresponsive that would be one thing but to repeatedly lie is unacceptable in my opinion.

I would love to be proven wrong again I ask has anyone ever been able to utilize the customer service we pay for as part of our license fee? 

Thanks

Kudos0

I'm sorry, but your insistance that you have tried everything and none of it has fixed your useage problems leaves me no choice but to see if I can help others who come here for assistance.

Kudos0

10021guy wrote:

I am just curious if anyone has been at all successful engaging Symantec’s customer service organization?

Hi 10021,

Yes,  I have used Customer Support several times successfully. 

Dave.

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 *|*|* Norton Security with Backup v22.1.0.9
Kudos2

Hi 10021guy,

I've sent you an email requesting followup information. Let me know if you're interested in working with us to help resolve this issue. Thanks.

Tony Weiss | Norton Forums Global Community Manager | Symantec Corporation

Replies are locked for this thread.