• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

Windows XP firewall being mysteriously turning off.

My aunt recently installed a Nortons product on her P.C.  I'm not sure exactly which one, but my guess would be Nortons Internet Security/Antivirus.

Recently her Windows XP firewall just mysteriously started turning off.  I did  a little poking around on her machine and could not find any issues.  I looked in the Nortons logs and seen where it found several virus, but no mention of the firewall being turned off.

My suspicion is that Nortons is turning it off, but I don't see anything to back it up.  Has anyone else experienced this?  If not, any suggestions on what else to look for?

Thanks.

Daryl

Replies

Kudos1

Re: Windows XP firewall being mysteriously turning off.

rosede wrote:

My aunt recently installed a Nortons product on her P.C.  I'm not sure exactly which one, but my guess would be Nortons Internet Security/Antivirus.

Recently her Windows XP firewall just mysteriously started turning off.  I did  a little poking around on her machine and could not find any issues.  I looked in the Nortons logs and seen where it found several virus, but no mention of the firewall being turned off.

My suspicion is that Nortons is turning it off, but I don't see anything to back it up.  Has anyone else experienced this?  If not, any suggestions on what else to look for?

Thanks.

Daryl

Welcome Daryl,

Both Norton NAV and NIS are antivirus programs. As such they take over the functions of protecting the system on which they are installed. As part of the installation process they make various modifications to the existing system so that they can do their job.

The windows firewall being off is as it should be.

Hope this helps

Stay well and surf safe

Dick Win7x64 SP1 current NSBU
Kudos3

dickevans wrote
Both Norton NAV and NIS are antivirus programs.  As part of the installation process they make various modifications to the existing system so that they can do their job.   The windows firewall being off is as it should be.

NIS has a firewall and therefore does turn off the Windows Firewall.  Open the WIndows Security Center in the Windows Control Panel and make sure it shows that Norton Internet Secuity is reporting that the Norton Firewall is on.  If so, everything is as it should be.

NAV does not have a firewall and does not disable the Windows Firewall.  If you are running Norton Antivirus the Windows Firewall should remain on,  If it isn't, then things are definitely not as they should be and you need to determine why.

Kudos0

Thanks to both replies. 

I've verified with her that she does have Norton Internet Security/Norton Antivirus 2011. 

Where exactly in NIS can I look to see if the Norton Firewall is turned on?  Are these two separate programs, or do I get to NIS from the main control panel? I poked around in there, but didn't see a firewall setting.

Thanks.

Daryl Rose

Kudos0

rosede wrote:

I've verified with her that she does have Norton Internet Security/Norton Antivirus 2011. 

It can't be both.  If it is Norton Internet Security you should see the Smart Firewall listed under Network Protection on the main window and in Settings.  If you don't see a Smart Firewall listed anywhere, it is probably Norton Antivirus.