• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

high cpu usage for internet exlore

I have been looking at the form and can't find and answer to my problem. I get the pop up from Norton about the high CPU usage and my computer slows way down and sometimes freezes. I am running Norton the new version 5.1.0.29. Now what I am doing, when this happens is I am on Farmville or one of Zanya games on Facebook. And the only way to resume play is to close all browsers and put my computer to sleep, then wake it up. Sometimes I have to do this 2 or 3 times to be able to even open my homepage at a normal speed. I have windows 7 and I am running explore 7  my lap top is only 3 years old. I have

Processor Intel(R) core TM 2 Duo CPU p7350 @ 2.00GHz  2.00 GHz

Installed Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB (3.87 usable

System 64 bit

When I look ant my control panel it says for the hard disk drive 178 GB free of 286 GB and the blue bar is showing less than have way full

Norton 360 is the only security on my computer.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: high cpu usage for internet exlore

I have been looking at the form and can't find and answer to my problem. I get the pop up from Norton about the high CPU usage and my computer slows way down and sometimes freezes. I am running Norton the new version 5.1.0.29. Now what I am doing, when this happens is I am on Farmville or one of Zanya games on Facebook. And the only way to resume play is to close all browsers and put my computer to sleep, then wake it up. Sometimes I have to do this 2 or 3 times to be able to even open my homepage at a normal speed. I have windows 7 and I am running explore 7  my lap top is only 3 years old. I have

Processor Intel(R) core TM 2 Duo CPU p7350 @ 2.00GHz  2.00 GHz

Installed Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB (3.87 usable

System 64 bit

When I look ant my control panel it says for the hard disk drive 178 GB free of 286 GB and the blue bar is showing less than have way full

Norton 360 is the only security on my computer.

Kudos0

Hi,

Welcome to Norton Community. The High CPU usage alert from Norton is to inform the user that the concern program is using the most amount of your Computers Memory (Not HarDisk Memory) at that instant. If you have a lot of Toolbars and ad-ons installed in your Internet Explorer, they will make your Computer and Internet Browsing very slow.

A lot of Tabs opened at the same time in Internet Explorer can also cause the Sluggish Performance while using Internet Explorer. Also Utilize the File Cleanup Option(Under PcTuneup) in the N360 to clean the Internet Explorer Temporary files out, Which can make some Proress in the Performance

Kudos0

sallaroke1 wrote:

i have found that it is not just on games that this problem is happening, today I was looking a pictures in slideshows and the laptop became unresponsive. And also watching videos after a while it slows down so much the sound is even garbled.

Welcome,

Please confirm that Microsoft Security Essentials has been removed from the laptop. Also, how much RAM is installed on your computer?

Thanks

DickWin7x64 SP1 current NIS V21
Kudos0

Installed Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB (3.87 usable) I have tried to ready boost a 4 GB Thumb Drive. to see if it would help and it did not. 

Kudos0

Hi

Did you followed my steps?

Kudos0

Hi, regarding the high cpu usage and lagging. I would add to be sure the computer is also de fragmented and to run the start up manager to find what is running on start up.

Edit-start ruling out some things-here is a tool from Microsoft. http://support.microsoft.com/mats/slow_windows_performance/

Kudos0

Yes i have tuned up, defraged, Don' have any extra toolbars even installed. i use goolge to search,  I only have one thing clicked for startup and that is because i dont know what it is. but i will try to figuer out what it is. Igfxtray.exe

Kudos0

Yes i have done all that and i do it regularly. I can have only one window open and with in 10min i am having to close the browser and put the computer to sleep.  

Kudos0

Confirm the name. igfxtray.exe appears to be a system tray application for launching intel graphics. However,

lgfxtray.exec might be malware.  this one begins with the letter L-or small l.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/lgfxTray.exe-17076.html

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/igfxtray.exe-2147.html

Can someone confirm this information?

Kudos0

Fix Windows system performance problems on slow Windows computers        (Tuesday, January 10, 2012 4:47:55 PM)            Automatically diagnose and fix causes of poor system performance, such as the power saver setting, multiple anti-virus programs running, multiple startup programs running, and too many users logged on to the computer.      

1 problem needs attention           Hide detailsProblems found                 Status                   Running multiple programs automatically can delay your computer's startup.                     Detected         
Kudos0

Only i was not  Running multiple programs the only thing i was running was the test. nothing else open.

Kudos0

This was referring to programs that run on start up and continue running in the background although you might not have the program open.  It provided a list of programs and you had the option to disable some.  Never disable Symantec or Norton items.

Too many start up programs slow your computer although you might not realize they are running.

You need to find out what that program is that you said was selected to run at start up- "I only have one thing clicked for startup and that is because i dont know what it is. but i will try to figuer out what it is. Igfxtray.exe"

lgfxtray.exe is malware. The item starts with a small L and is disguised to look like the safe one that begins with an i

igfxtray.exe is safe.

Kudos0

Went to Intel to find out what this file was and upgraded my grafic driver, which upgraded igfxtray. So I believe this is a safe file.

When I upgraded it placed it in my start up manager checked to start up, along with hkcmd.exe and igfxpers.exe do these need to be on in start up manager? I don't think that that file was a problem.

Kudos0

Has anyone have any ideas still having the same problem...please help

Kudos0

sallaroke1 wrote:

Has anyone have any ideas still having the same problem...please help

There is a database hosted by bleeping computer that you can use to look up any of the statup items to assist you in trying to figure out what the tiems are and if in fact they need to be started.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/

By using this, you will end up with the following info:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/hkcmd.exe-1939.html

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/igfxpers-20641.html

Hope this helps.

Kudos0

This Does answer my questions on start up. But I still have the same problem of explore using 100% CPU when I play a long running video or playing games on Facebook. Even scrolling down my wall on face book about a hour into scrolling it slows way down.

Kudos0

Open your task manager when you have this problem and select the Performance tab on top.

On the bottom right side select Resource Monitor.

Select the CPU tab. You will see columns, click the CPU column to bring the items to the top that are using the most CPU.

Once you have identified the CPU hog you might be able to resolve the issue.

Kudos0

i keep getting warnings when i do a scan saying that i am getting high community usage ? i dont understand this at all and its really worrying me. i have windows 8 and use norton 360 but i just dont feel safe at all. i dont know if my settings are correct for my computer, or wether or not it is my norton 360 settings that are wrong. its a mightmare- i havent a clue what to do and im useless with computers

Kudos0

i have found that it is not just on games that this problem is happening, today I was looking a pictures in slideshows and the laptop became unresponsive. And also watching videos after a while it slows down so much the sound is even garbled.

Replies are locked for this thread.