• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

Cannot install 360 on Windows 7

I have used 360 for many years with good results. I purchased my new 5.0 version and installed it successfully on a Vista laptop and a Windows 7 laptop. When I tried my 3rd install on a Windows 7 desktop I encountered all sorts of errors. After 10 attempts with the computer crashing several times I read most of the posts on this site. I followed the recommendations, ran the MacAfee installer, ran Malwarebytes, ran Norton Eraser (which by the way you cannot run with Norton Safety Minder already installed), removed Norton Safety Minder, ran Norton removal tool. At this point if I install 360, when it gets to Starting System Services my commuter crashes and I have to do a system repair for Windows. I am at the end of my rope. I cannot think of any other thing to try.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Cannot install 360 on Windows 7

Wilbour wrote:

I have used 360 for many years with good results. I purchased my new 5.0 version and installed it successfully on a Vista laptop and a Windows 7 laptop. When I tried my 3rd install on a Windows 7 desktop I encountered all sorts of errors. After 10 attempts with the computer crashing several times I read most of the posts on this site. I followed the recommendations, ran the MacAfee installer, ran Malwarebytes, ran Norton Eraser (which by the way you cannot run with Norton Safety Minder already installed), removed Norton Safety Minder, ran Norton removal tool. At this point if I install 360, when it gets to Starting System Services my commuter crashes and I have to do a system repair for Windows. I am at the end of my rope. I cannot think of any other thing to try.

Hi,

Sorry to hear about the problems. It sounds like there is still something 'nasty' active on that desktop. You mention using the McAfee uninstaller, are there any other security programs active on that system? Can you download, install, update and run Malwarebytes free scanner found here;  http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free it's Norton compatible so keep it around for a second opinion when you need one.

I'm guessing that you will also need ot run the NRT again and reboot to eliminate the rest of the bits from the previous installations and attempts. If Malwarebytes from the desktop and NPE with rootkit active all come back clean you may be ready to try again.

Keep us in the loop

DickWin7x64 SP1 current NIS V21
Kudos0

Thanks for your advice but as I stated in my first post I "ran Malwarebytes" already. Any more tips?

Kudos0

Wilbour wrote:

Thanks for your advice but as I stated in my first post I "ran Malwarebytes" already. Any more tips?

Hi,

I'd recommend the Norton Removal Tool and the Norton Power Eraser.

Keep us in the loop

Kudos0

Thanks for the help but as I stated in my first post, I ran Norton eraser and Norton removal tool (which you cannot run if you have Norton Safety Minder installed)

Kudos0

I downloaded McAfee and it installed without any issues. Maybe it's time to shift to another company.

Kudos0

you cant run norton 360 and macafee  at the same time  they wont play nic   you most un stall macafee on your desttop re start then  in stall norton 360 have you tryed re starting?

Kudos0

So if I understand you correctly, I should "un stall macafee" (uninstall McAfee) since macafee (McAfee) and norton 360 don't play nic (nice)? Or in other words, remove the virus protection I do have working properly to install one that does not work? Hey it's worth a try.

Kudos0

Wilbour wrote:

Just to be clear, my original post stated I ran the McAfee installer when infact it was the McAfee removal tool since I had McAfee on my system when purchased last month. After installing Norton Safety Minder it removed part of McAfee but not all.

Kudos0

Wilbour wrote:

Wilbour wrote:

Just to be clear, my original post stated I ran the McAfee installer when infact it was the McAfee removal tool since I had McAfee on my system when purchased last month. After installing Norton Safety Minder it removed part of McAfee but not all.

Hi Wilbour,

Let me see if I'm understanding everything correctly.

You had McAfee on the system and ran their removal tools to eliminate it. And rebooted

You have uninstalled Norton Safety Minder. And rebooted

You have run the Norton Power Eraser and the Norton Removal Tool rebooting after each was run

You still cannot install 360 v5.

Am I still in the ballpark?

Thanks

Kudos0

Hi Wilbour,

Let me see if I'm understanding everything correctly.

You had McAfee on the system and ran their removal tools to eliminate it. And rebooted

You have uninstalled Norton Safety Minder. And rebooted

You have run the Norton Power Eraser and the Norton Removal Tool rebooting after each was run

You still cannot install 360 v5.

Am I still in the ballpark?

Thanks

You pretty much nailed it.

I ran the McAfee Removal Tool

I ran Malwarebytes

I uninstalled Norton Safety MInder

I ran Norton Removal Tool

I ran Norton Power Eraser

Yet, when I try to install Norton 360 v 5 from CD or downloaded file it hangs when it gets to "Starting System Services". Not only does it hang the computer it crashes Windows 7 and I have to perform a system restore for it to boot.

I have since run Microtrend and it found no issues

I scanned with a newly downloaded McAfee free trial and it found no issues.

My last resort will be to uninstal this new version of McAfee since I am removing a full program and not bits and bytes from a preloaded version. The only reason I know there was a preloaded version of McAfee is because when I originaly installed Norton Safety Minder it had to remove a conflicting McAfee file before it could continue.

Kudos0

Wilbour,

When you do your removals be sure to get the tools for microtrend as well. And reboot

When you do the system restore are you going back far enough to get to a point BEFORE the problems?

Just to be sure that the restored system is clean run the Norton Power Eraser and Malwarebytes scanner before you try to install 360 again.

hope this helps

Kudos0

Just to keep everyone posted. I re-installed my windows 7. With a fresh OS I was able to install Norton 360 and NSM without issue. Loaded Chrome, Steam, and Java no problem, even had to reboot without issue. This morning I turned off the computer and saw a blue screen promptly followed by a faulty automatic reboot. Now I am locked into a boot, fail, reboot.

Presently trying to restore to each previous restore point. So far no success. Will keep you posted.

Kudos0

Wilbour wrote:

Just to keep everyone posted. I re-installed my windows 7. With a fresh OS I was able to install Norton 360 and NSM without issue. Loaded Chrome, Steam, and Java no problem, even had to reboot without issue. This morning I turned off the computer and saw a blue screen promptly followed by a faulty automatic reboot. Now I am locked into a boot, fail, reboot.

Presently trying to restore to each previous restore point. So far no success. Will keep you posted.

Hi,

Have you used the W7 install disk to do a repair?

If this keeps up I'd be going to bleeping computer to get some expert assistance on this 'nasty'

[Compliments of Delphinium]

www.bleepingcomputer.com

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/
http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/

http://forums.whatthetech.com/

Pick one and stick with that one. Trying to use more than one will result in being able to get help from none. They are very good, they are free and you must be patient and polite - they experts there are volunteers just like most of the help here.

Keep us in the loop

Kudos0

"Have you used the W7 install disk to do a repair?"

Yes, full hard drive wiped clean and full install. I can get Norton 360 to install but after a shut down it halts and gets stuck in a reboot circle.

Checked the memory and it passed.

End result, I have formally given up on Norton 360. I did install the McAfee suite for a trial run but when I installed NSM I was forced to remove this virus software.

"you must be patient and polite"

Sorry, I can only be patient or polite, not both.. gotta go!

Kudos0

Wilbour,

If you are not using the McAfee software be sure to use their removal tools to completely eliminate their software from your system. The same is true of the Norton software. The Norton Removal Tool will eliminate all things Norton so be careful. Sorry we couldn't do better. Have your run a CHKDSK /F from the CMD prompt on that drive?

Kudos0

dickevans wrote:

Wilbour,

If you are not using the McAfee software be sure to use their removal tools to completely eliminate their software from your system. The same is true of the Norton software. The Norton Removal Tool will eliminate all things Norton so be careful. Sorry we couldn't do better. Have your run a CHKDSK /F from the CMD prompt on that drive?

This post goes back a long way but just a refresher, I always ran the McAfee removal tool, each and every time. Too bad NSF insisted I remove the last hope I had to stay virus free.

I can run a CHKDSK /F this week, but it would seem strange that everything I load and run works fine except Norton 360.

Kudos0

Hi Wilbour,

I agree with you that using another virus protection solution is the best way to go.  I have been with Norton for over 14 years and this Version 5.0 for Norton 360 is defective.  I do not have Windows 7 on any of my Computers (lap top or 2 desk tops) I have XP and Vista.  I have loaded Norton 360 on my desktop first and it took out the Drivers for my DVD drives.  This computer had XP on it.  I finally fixed it and moved to my Lap top, which I don't mind telling you that I was very nervous about installing it.  I did it anyway. Lo and behold that screwed up my Drivers again along with my Network and various other programs that worked prior to installing Norton 360 5.0. I called Norton Support and after an hour on the phone with them they finally told me that there must be something wrong with my Lap Top!  (You Think!!!!!)  Totally denied that it was a Norton issue!  I had to recover the disk back to 12/15/2011.  After that I was able to install it, with no help from Symantic Support.  After this Subscription runs out I will change to a different Protection Program.  Barry

Kudos0

Can you provide the info from the blue screen error?

You need to get the information that the error message gives you. The structure of the error message includes two or more of the following items:

• A STOP message with a set of numbers, such as 0x0000001E (0xc0000006, 0xA011C102, 0x00000000, 0xA011C102)
  • A specific error, such as IQRL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
  • The name of the file that is involved with the problem, such as Symevnt.sys

This will help to find out the exact reason for the blue screen in your computer.

Thanks,

HarryP

Replies are locked for this thread.