• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Error 3039, 69638 - sonar not working

Had 360 which expired, so updated bought a new license and installed from disk. Install process seemed to go OK, but now error code 3039, 69638 keeps popping up &  Norton tells me that sonar isn't working. Despite trying all the Symantec prescribed fixes this error keeps appearing.

I have run the R&R tool and  reset etc too many times to count and this error keeps occurring.

From what I can see, I'm not alone in experiencing this problem with 360. Symantec really need to do improve their tech support.

How is it reasonably possible in this day and age that simply updating your antivirus goes wrong?  All I did was run the software on the disk!

Anyone got any clue?

Thanks - Luke

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Error 3039, 69638 - sonar not working

Hi Is100,

You said you installed from the disk and then also ran RnRTool.  You need to run Liveupdate (rebooting  as requested) until such time it reposnds "no more updates avaiable" and then reboot one more time.  Since you installed from the disk it may take up to 9 reboots, but the RnRTool should not have taken as many.  Please try to run Liveupdate until you receive the message that you productis up to date/no more updates available.

Plese post back if nothing changes for you.

Kudos0

Hi Yank,

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try & let you know.

Cheers - Luke

Kudos0

Hi Yank,

I've run live update every 30 mins all day and restarted a few times. Its saying "your Norton product has the latest updates" But still generating the same Error code & sonar is still not working.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks - Luke

Kudos0

ls100 wrote:

Hi Yank,

I've run live update every 30 mins all day and restarted a few times. Its saying "your Norton product has the latest updates" But still generating the same Error code & sonar is still not working.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks - Luke

Hi Luke, sorry that did not work.  I guess it's time to suggest a clean install of N 360.  Or yu can try the Rmove and reinsatll Tool again.  Let us know which route you perfer.

Kudos0

I actually have been dealing with this error now since I purchased my HP Laptop (Pavilion g6) at the end of November 2011. I have went through all the updates and rebooted I do not know how many times. Removed Norton with the removal tool 4 times and re-installed 4 times but the error keeps coming back. I get this free from from my ISP but as much work I have put into it I should just purchase a different protection service. Before I do that "any other suggections?"

Kudos0

nohill wrote:

I actually have been dealing with this error now since I purchased my HP Laptop (Pavilion g6) at the end of November 2011. I have went through all the updates and rebooted I do not know how many times. Removed Norton with the removal tool 4 times and re-installed 4 times but the error keeps coming back. I get this free from from my ISP but as much work I have put into it I should just purchase a different protection service. Before I do that "any other suggections?"

Are you infact running Norton Security Suite from Comcast? 

When you purchased your laptop in Nov, did it come with a trial version of an antivirus program preinstalled?  (HP normally comes with a Norton Product trial installed)  If so do you know which version of Norton it was?  Did you remove it prior to installing Comcast's version, if so how?

The recommended process is to remove Norton via Control Panel > Programs & Features > Reboot > and then run the Norton Removal Tool > Reboot > then install a fresh copy of NSS.  I mention this as it sounds you "removed Norton with the removal tool" - no mention of uninstalling the program via Control Panel prior to using the NRT.

We'll be looking for your response.

Kudos0

Well, as I stated in my 1st I have used the Norton removal tool to remove all previous Norton applications because I knew HP did have a free trial of Norton on it. Also, yes I am with Comcast. Thank you.

Kudos0

nohill wrote:

Well, as I stated in my 1st I have used the Norton removal tool to remove all previous Norton applications because I knew HP did have a free trial of Norton on it. Also, yes I am with Comcast. Thank you.

My question remains, did you remove the trial and subsequent installs of NSS  via Control Panel prior to using the NRT to rip the program off the system?

In hope of getting a complete removal and a clean install of NSS, please follow the instructions below.

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/How-To-Uninstall-Reinstall-Norton-Security-Suite-after-a-problem/m-p/870735

Please note when you get to the point of downloading the clean install of NSS, click on the No Thanks button for Constant Guard Protection Suite and it will reveal the Get It Now Buttton which will start the fresh download.

BTW, have you installed any of the Constant Guard Protection Suite?  You can check in Programs & Features for CGPS, Guided ID, ID Vault, Comcast (Xfinity) Toolbar, and CA Pest Patrol Real Time.  If any or all are present remove them prior to removing NSS.

Kudos0

I have the exact same error.  I uninstalled N360, ran the cleanup utility and re-installed twice already. 

I had NIS2012 previously which expired and I got N360 instead.  NIS2012 has been completely removed in the process of running the cleanup utility.  Yet, I can't get N360 to run without errors.

Kudos0

Hi,

Could you please elaborate more on when you get the Error. 

Also Please open a Command prompt and run command "fltmc" Please make a post of the drivers loaded on the page.

Please specify the Operating system with the Service pack levels ..

Possible steps run a chkdsk /r to check HDD for Errors. Some time helps in fixing Errors

Thanks,

Archie

Kudos0

Windows 7, 64bit, SP1

The command shows the following:

tdrpman273 (the try&decide driver of Acronis 2011, but it is never used)

Shieldf (from RollbackRX)

eeCtrl

SRTSP

SymEFA

luafv

FileInfo

This error happens 5-10 mins after a reboot.  It happens on its own.  NIS2012 shows no problems when I switch back to it, though.

Kudos0

Fixed my problem.  This is what I did:

• Uninstall N360, reboot.
  • Run the Cleanup Utility, reboot.
  • Use CCleaner to scan my registry and fix anything it could find.
  • Install N360

No problems now.  Been up for 2hrs and N360 hasn't failed yet.

Replies are locked for this thread.