• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

Virus on my hotmail

Hi there,

I received a virus by email and now its automatically sending emails with virus to all my contacts. I scanned my computer and seems like Norton deleted what they have found. But I read on the internet its possible to scan also your email account but they didn't explain how.

Does anyone know how can I do that? Its the second time this happens in less than a month! Please, help me.

Thank you,

Thamiris

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Virus on my hotmail

Hey

Try these two security programs, Norton Power Eraser (NPE) and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and see if they help your with your problem.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

http://filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/

Norton Power Eraser (NPE)

http://us.norton.com/support/DIY/?product=Norton%20Internet%20Security&version=19.2.0.10&layout=Retail&partner=&ispid=&sitename=&actstat=activated&substatus=current&ncoap=1

Good Luck

Sweman

Kudos1

Hi thamiriseis,

Did you download and open the malicious email message on your computer, or only view it on Hotmail?  In the vast majority of cases like this, it is the recipient's online account and contact list that is compromised, and not the user's computer.  You should immediately change your Hotmail password and any other information that can be used to access the account, such as secret questions.  There is no way to scan messages in your online account using Norton, since those messages are residing on a server somewhere rather than on your PC.

Kudos0

Hi,

I never open malicious files, only files I know I can trust like a document someone tells me they send it to me. But I always get those emails, is there a chance of getting virus even thou I don't download it?

I watch series and movies online and there're lots of pop-up's that I can't block, do you think I can get virus from there too? My Norton says there's no virus in my computer, only security risks detected but its all cookies (that I've no idea what it is but my Norton automatically deletes them).

Already changed my password, hope it doesn't bother me anymore....

Thank you both for the replies!

Kudos0

thamirisreis wrote:

I never open malicious files, only files I know I can trust like a document someone tells me they send it to me. But I always get those emails, is there a chance of getting virus even thou I don't download it?

My mail account has a virus, how do I get rid of it?

What did your on-demand scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware ~ Free Version - Report.

You may attach the Log.txt file to your post

NIS21.6 VistaSP2 FF32 IE9 Compaq A931NR
Kudos1

Hi thamirisreis,

Generally, you must either open a malicious attachment or click on a malicious link in the body of an email message in order to become infected.

If your online account was compromised it will still be possible for your contacts to recieve messages that appear to come from you.  The spammers can simply put your email address in the "From" field on the messages that they send from other accounts that they control.  Usually, this type of email address spoofing does not go on for long - so if you see evidence of it happening, just be patient and it should stop fairly soon.

Kudos0

Thank you all for the help :)

Replies are locked for this thread.