• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos1

Problem opening Word documents since 19.5.0.145

When I attempt to open a Word document, I get a dialog box with the message: "This command cannor be performed because a dialog box is open. Click OK, and then close open dialog boxes to continue." When I click OK, the document opens.

The problem goes away if I disable Microsoft Office Automatic Scan in NIS settings.

This problem is new to me since the 19.5.0.145 update, but apparently it's been around for a while. Microsoft addressed it here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891986

I have Office 2003.

Is there a better fix than turning off the automatic scan setting?

Replies

Kudos1

Re: Problem opening Word documents since 19.5.0.145

I have Office 2007
Kudos0

The same problem after installation 19.5.0.145

I have Office 2007

Kudos1

Same problem here. Office 2007.

Kudos0

I'm having the same problem.  I use Office 2007.

I checked the link to Microsoft Support from RonSD.  It says you should rename a file that belongs to Norton and then restart.  I'm not comfortable with doing that unless Norton says so.  Can someone from Norton please help?

NS 22.x, Win8.1 (x64), Firefox, Chrome, Malwarebytes (FREE)
Kudos0

I forgot to mention that I have Windows XP SP3.

Gena - Thanks for posting the image.

KBPrez - I agree that renaming an NIS file is probably not a good idea.

If you you have this problem, you can disable the Microsoft Office Automatic Scan setting at NIS > Settings > Computer > Computer Scan. That's been a successful workaround for me, but I hope Norton can give us a better solution.

Kudos0

Thanks for reporting this one to us. We're looking into it. Has anyone seen this with that latest version of Word? Or is it just happening with 2003 & 2007? We do not recommend disabling parts of our product, as that will compromise your system security.

Tony Weiss | Norton Forums Global Community Manager | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

I just updated NIS to 19.5.0.145.  I am running microsoft office 2010 with SP1 and everything seems fine here with the Microsoft Office Automatic Scan option turned On, i will check my other systems in the house though. 

Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit / IE 11.0.14 / Firefox 33.1.1 / NSwB 22.0.2.17/ NU 16.0.2.14 / SSR 2013 v.11.0.2
Kudos0

I can confirm that all is well with new NIS and Word2010. Still looking for the first problem

Dick Win7x64 SP1 current NSBU
Kudos0

Hello RonSD, gena, N30, and KBPrez

Sorry for the trouble! I've sent the four of you emails with instructions on how to submit some additional information we need to look in to this cause. The email will go to the email address used when registering on these forums. 

Please check these emails at your earliest convenience. 

Kudos0

Wouldn’t this partly depend on whether or not the Office 2010 product that’s installed is the 32-bit or the 64-bit version?  We received the 19.5 update on only one of our systems so far – the one that happens to have the 64-bit version of Office 2010 Pro installed.  We are seeing no problems (so far) with any of the Office apps on that system.

Please note though that most of the Norton application extensions, such as Anti-spam in Outlook, don’t function with the 64-bit versions of these apps, only the 32-bit versions.

Just thought I’d mention it…

Regards,

John Burns

Software Research

Kudos1

I am having the very same problem, with Word 2007 and NIS 2012 19.5.0.145.Windows 7 64 bits.

EXTREMELY ANNOYING.

I really hope you guys can find a solution for this quickly.

Kudos0

Another detail: The problem only happens when you have no word documents open; for example, you click on the first word document you want to open, then the problem happens, but after that document is opened, if you click on other word documents they will open with no problems.

Kudos0

Not everyone is having a problem. Just updated to 19.5.0.145. Running Vista Ultimate x64. I don't have a problem opening Word 2007 documents. Mike
Kudos0

@Tim Lopez, I got your email and I'm working on geting the files for you.

I tried a few things this morning and now I'm not sure the problem is caused by Word.  I only get this error message when I open a Word document using Windows Explorer or the program Q-Dir (version 4.92, 64-bit).  Q-Dir is basically Windows Explorer, but with better features.  Once I click OK on the message box, everything is normal - Word opens the document and NIS scans it.  I didn't have this problem before the latest update to NIS.   Anyway, I'll get the files to you as soon as I can

NS 22.x, Win8.1 (x64), Firefox, Chrome, Malwarebytes (FREE)
Kudos0

I'm also having this same problem, I'm running windows 7x64 proffessional with all microsoft updates up to date, Office 2007 and Norton Internet Security 19.5.0.145.

This started when the 19.5.0.145 update happened, if you need anything from me on this let me know.

Geof

Kudos0

I'm having the same problem.  Win 7 64 bit, Office 2007.  Began after the 19.5 update.

Kudos0

Well, Word 2002 (Office XP) in Windows XP Pro 32 bit seems to still be OK.

If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is!
Kudos0

Hello,

Recently I noticed on my PC that when I double click on a word document, word begins to open then I get a pop-up box that says, "The command cannot be performed because a dialogue box is open. Click OK, and then close open dialogue boxes to continue."  When you click OK, you can see that Norton runs the virus scan and then the document opens. 

I have Windows XP SP3 fully patched and updated, I have NIS 19.5.0.145; and MS Word 2003. This issue did not happen before this previous week.  So I went into my NIS settings; clicked on the Computer Tab; Clicked on Computer Scan on the left pane; then Turned off "Microsoft Office Automatic Scan".  I closed out of word completely, double clicked on the word document and it opened up fine without the message.  I then closed out word completely again, turned on "Microsoft Office Automatic Scan" within NIS, saved my settings then went to open the word doc again (for proof of concept) and the pop-up dialogue box came up again.

Please let me know if you need any further information and when a fix might be available for this.  Or if there is a way for me to fix it myself other than disabling the MS Office Auto Scanning.

Thanks,

Richard

Kudos1

Hello

I have xp pro sp 3 and office 2003. I also have the 19.5 patch. After seeing this thread, I  just tried opening up a word document. I got that box with the ok message and I have the Office Scan turned on.  All I had to do was to click ok and the document opened up without a problem.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.
Kudos0

Just updated to the latest version and i am now getting an error message as soon as i try to open a word 2007 file. word gives the error "the command cannot be performed because a dialog box is open, click ok then close open dialog boxes to continue" Using office 2007 on windows 7 64bit Please advise! Also i can confirm that when "microsoft automated scan" is turned off in NIS then the problem does not occcur
Kudos1

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.
Kudos0

Just updated to the latest version and i am now getting an error message as soon as i try to open a word 2007 file. word gives the error "the command cannot be performed because a dialog box is open, click ok then close open dialog boxes to continue" Using office 2007 on windows 7 64bit Also i can confirm that when "microsoft automated scan" is turned off in NIS then the problem does not occcur
Kudos0

I am facing the same issue.

Microsoft Office 2007 SP3, Windows XP Professional SP3 32-bit (updated to the latest patch).

Kudos0

I have the same problem when trying to open Word doc. from Explorer since I have installed latest patch. Word 2007. Win7 64bit

Kudos1

I'm also having the same problem when trying to open a Word 2007 document.  However, when I click OK in the error message window, the document then opens.  This has only happened this morning after LiveUpdate updated my NIS 2012 to version 19.5.0.145.

I'm also having problems with Identity Safe not autofilling some of my websites since the 19.5.0.145 update this morning, but I'll start a new post for that.

Clearly something wrong with 19.5.0.145, Norton.  Can you withdraw it and somehow let us revert to the previous version until you have sorted these problems and tested it properly?

(Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit)

Kudos0

Good afternoon,

I got the update to 19.5.0.145 and I am seeing an error when I try to double-click a Microsoft Docx file.

Error: "The command can not preformed because a dialog box is open. Click OK, and then close all dialog boxes to continue."

If I turn off monitoring Microsoft Office in the settings things go back to normal. The only open dialog box I can see or detect is the one declaring the error. Not seeing this problem with Excel. Any Ideas ?? Anyone seeing the same problem ??

Thanks --- JW

Win8.1u1 Pro x64, IE10, PNY GeForce 9600GT, NIS2014 (21.6.0.32) , High Speed DSL through CenturyLink.
Kudos0

Cheers, Jo Graduate of the WTT Classroom
Kudos0

You can add mine to this list, Office 2007, Windows 7 64bit, all ok till I updated with the latest patch.

As Symantec say they are aware of this I am sure as always they will expedite and correct this ASAP.

Kudos0

Another NIS product update with reboot, word issue still there. This is the fifth ipdate that requires a reboot in the last week and a half.
Kudos8

All,

If you're having this issue where you see the message, "The command cannot be performed because a dialog box is open...", and need a quick workaround, you can disable the Microsoft Office Scan using these instructions:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/norton-support/jsp/help-solutions.jsp?docid=v71364735_EndUserProfile_en_us

Rest assured that you're still protected if you disable this feature, as many of our other features such as AutoProtect and SONAR will protect your computer in real-time no matter what application you are using. 

We'll update this post when we have fixed the issue and when you can turn the document scanning on. 

Sorry for the trouble and thanks for your patience! 

Kudos0

Other than having to click "OK" to make the unwanted error message go away, is there any downside to NOT turning off Office scanning until the fix comes out?

Thanks.

Kudos0

avjohnnie wrote:

Wouldn’t this partly depend on whether or not the Office 2010 product that’s installed is the 32-bit or the 64-bit version?  We received the 19.5 update on only one of our systems so far – the one that happens to have the 64-bit version of Office 2010 Pro installed.  We are seeing no problems (so far) with any of the Office apps on that system.

Please note though that most of the Norton application extensions, such as Anti-spam in Outlook, don’t function with the 64-bit versions of these apps, only the 32-bit versions.

Just thought I’d mention it…

Regards,

John Burns

Software Research

Hi John,

I don't think any part of this version plays well with x64 apps.

Dick Win7x64 SP1 current NSBU
Kudos0

FWIW --

We have an assortment of Win7 Pro 32 & 64 OS bit systems, Vista Business 32 & 64 bit systems, and XP Pro 32 & 64 bit systems. All are running Office 2010 Pro 32bit on the 32bit OS systems and Office 2010 Pro 64bit on the 64bit OS systems.

As of today all of our systems are now on NIS 19.5.0.145 and none seem to be having the file opening problem with Word2010 (32 or 64).

Regards,

John Burns,

Software Research

Kudos0

I am using Norton Internet Security 2012 and it has been running great since I installed it six months ago. NOW I AM NOT HAPPY WITH IT. I'm too getting this error message. The file which is causing this is Norton file officeav.dll, which was downloaded from Live update on the 30 January 2012. I am a tradesperson and rely on my computer everyday, especially Microsoft Office Word.  I also rely on Norton Internet Security to run correctly to keep my computer safe. I realize that all programmers do have bugs from time to time but come on Norton over a month and this issue is still not resolved. I am considering uninstalling Norton and going back to using AVG again at least when it  gets bugs they fix the problem immediately.

Please Norton listen to your users and fix this issue.

Kudos0

Hi "over a month" are you not confused ? The update 19.5 from 19.2 that caused this problem only came out a few days ago. In my experience Norton seem pretty good and quick at solving problems and releasing fixes, which they have already advised is in the works! Also they did say "Sorry for the trouble and thanks for your patience!" in this matter
Kudos0

Nobby wrote:

I am using Norton Internet Security 2012 and it has been running great since I installed it six months ago. NOW I AM NOT HAPPY WITH IT. I'm too getting this error message. The file which is causing this is Norton file officeav.dll, which was downloaded from Live update on the 30 January 2012. I am a tradesperson and rely on my computer everyday, especially Microsoft Office Word.  I also rely on Norton Internet Security to run correctly to keep my computer safe. I realize that all programmers do have bugs from time to time but come on Norton over a month and this issue is still not resolved. I am considering uninstalling Norton and going back to using AVG again at least when it  gets bugs they fix the problem immediately.

Please Norton listen to your users and fix this issue.

You apparently didn't read the whole thread. Symantec has been aware of the issue since last weekend and is working on it. Just a couple posts back they also provided a simple temporary workaround that will not compromise security.

Kudos0

Hi, erm i did read all the thread, what exactly do you feel i missed ? There is some comment early on about microsoft being aware of it with a revised KB article dated September 18th 2011. Are you refering to this ? (if so i would of thought you would of said "over 4 months". I don't know how that microsoft article actually relates to the thread! This thread was only started on the 29th January when the 19.5 update came out, this new update is the root of the problem and it's only a few days old, and so far only seems to refer to NIS. All the posts in this thread appear to be from people using NIS & not NAV to which that Microsoft article relates. Also lets face it this problem is not the end of the world, and to say your thinking of going back to AVG over this is astonishing to me, whats the problem in hitting "ok" in the dialog box that's now popping up in word for a few days, no need to blow a gasket over it! Oh yes, im a tradesman too!
Kudos0

I really don't understand some people, Symantec already explained what's what with this issue and they are working on it, it's been explained you only have to hit the 'ok' button in the aforementioned dialog box and you are in. That simple! If you go back to AVG because of this then you get what you deserve.

Kudos0

Further to my earlier post on this thread, I've noticed another oddity in Word 2007 since the NIS 2012 19.5 update:

Most of my previously saved Autocorrect and Autoformat options had been reset (in Word Options ... Proofing ... AutoCorrect options).

Don't know if this was as a result of the NIS 19.5 update or not (can't imagine how it could have occurred otherwise).

Has anyone else noticed this?  Hopefully, NIS has not overwritten the file where these Word options are stored!

Kudos0

surfer1000 wrote:
Hi, erm i did read all the thread, what exactly do you feel i missed ?

I wasn't responding to you, I was responding to Nobby. I thought quoting his post would make that clear.

Kudos0

I have the problem on my desktop computer but not on my laptrop.  The both have the same configurations.  Ofice 2007 and Windows 7 64bit.  Is I pssted in another thread I had no problems with the NIS update on my laptop but could not install the NIS update on my desktop until I uninstalled NIS an reinstalled it again. 

Kudos0

:-) ok i get it now, crossed wires there!
Kudos0

I can''t open Word-documents directly. An error says you have a open dialogbox and OK and than the document opens.

I did a systemrestore, repaired Office, made registerschanghes and hour after hour I worked on it. Normal.dot new, changed etc. etc.

Suddenly I remembered yesterday there was a change (update) in the NIS engine and had to restart. So I looked and disabled scan of Microsoft Office. Now the document are opening directly at once.

So this is a bug of Symantec software. What are you doing? Can't you check things before you change them. It cost me more than 4 hours.

I can't use the function Automatic scan of MS Office in NIS anymore! 

Kudos0

Thank you all for your replies. My message was moved from another section of  the Community Forum (Norton360 Beta) to this discussion. The reason it was in this section was because I did a search on the error at hand and it took me to Norton360 Beta discussion forum as the same error is beening discussed there I did not realize that there was another forum section discussing this error. Norton Please Explain why there are two discussions with the same problem running at once, If you decided to move my reply to another post why can't you move all of other persons that have the same error from the Beta forum to this forum.

"over a month read Microsoft's Support page on this error. Http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891986 which clearly states that this error started on the 18 September 2011.

Kudos0

To all you Norton apologists out there:

This problem has existed for over a month, considering that Microsoft first noted the problem back in September. And whether security has been compromised or not is irrelevant. Security software should never interfere with the normal operations of a computer. When it does, the error should be corrected immediately. This error is not confined to one or two products, but every one of their products that uses their antivirus engine. So it's not just Norton AV and NIS, but also Symantec Endpoint Protection that is affected by this problem. That means that businesses are being affected by this problem on an enterprise wide scale. Companies like my clients, who trusted me when I recommended Symantec products, but are now questioning that trust because those products are interfering with their productivity. And this error is not confined to merely double clicking on a Word file to open it, but is also completely preventing some of my clients from opening Word files that are attached to emails.

The amount of time it has taken Norton/Symantec to address this issue is unacceptable. For those of you who feel that you need to defend the company from those of us who are rightfully upset with this inexcusable delay, I recommend that you not waste your time. They have lawyers and PR people that they pay good money to do that for them. We have every right to be upset with them and express that frustration in order to pressure them into doing what should have been done long ago - fix their own mistakes. I cannot fathom why you would stick up for a company whose product you pay for, when that product fails because the manufacturer screwed up - and continues to screw up by failing to address the issue in a timely fashion.

Kudos0

Hi IrishNMTech,

SEP also has this issue?  I am unable to find any reports of it on the enterprise product forums.  Can you provide a link?  Up until it appeared in the 19.5 update, the only reports I am aware of were for the Norton 360 beta - and while you might expect a fix prior to going RTM, it would not be unusual to see such a bug in a beta product.

Kudos0

I checked the date of the officeav.dll - it was replace withthe latest update.  As I previously stated my laptop and desktop have the same configurations - both with Office 2007 - the desktop has the problem but the laptop does not, so I doubt it is just the officeav.dll file causing the problem.

Kudos0

SendOfJive,

I have personally seen this error occur on machines with NIS and SEP - non-beta versions. So I have no link to provide you. Of those machines, I have seen some running Office 2007, and some running Office 2010.

Kudos0

To Tim Lopez (Symantec Corporation):

Tim,

As per my earlier suggestion re the problems caused by the NIS 2012 version 19.5.0.145 update (i.e. problems opening Word 2007 documents and, more importantly, Identity Safe apparently not autofilling bank logins anymore), can I implore you to seriously consider withdrawing this release and rolling back to the previous version?

I know there are probably other issues that Norton has fixed with this latest release, but the new problems are, in my opinion, more of an issue than the shortcomings of the previous version.

If you don't consider this necessary, or if other users don't agree, perhaps you could get Norton to give users the option of reverting to the previous version (and finding a way not to get LiveUpdate it to upgrade it to the 19.5 version until 19.5 has been fully tested with these important issues fixed).

I, like others, have paid for NIS and as such believe you should give us the option of choosing when to update to the latest release, rather than Norton doing a "push" update when it sees fit to do so.  That is, users should always have the option to retain (or revert to) the previous version if we want to, without LiveUpdate forcing the new version on us until we are ready and happy to receive it.

Thank you.

Kudos0

Hello n2009user27,

I understand your frustration We're not planning on rolling back the patch.

The issue being discussed on this thread does have a simple workaround that stops the issue from occurring - disable Office Document Scanning. Your computer will still be protected with our many other layers of protection that keep an eye on every aspect of the computer's activities. Because we have this workaround available, it's not necessary to pull the patch. Don't think that this means we're brushing the issue aside. We're not. We're working on correcting it in a future update as I had explained previously. 

The Identity Safe issue that you're talking about is an issue that can be corrected with a smaller update targeted just to the Identity Safe component, so it's not necessary to pull the patch to resolve the issue. 

Sorry for the inconvenience!

Replies are locked for this thread.