• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

Norton 360 5.0 stops scanning process

I couldnt find "solve all solution" for this problem with the new version so here is the issue:

My Norton 360 starts out fine in with the "Virus and Spyware Scan", however, some time through it it just stops scanning through items although it claims to still be running.

thank you in advance for your assistance

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton 360 5.0 stops scanning process

pitab88 wrote:

I couldnt find "solve all solution" for this problem with the new version so here is the issue:

My Norton 360 starts out fine in with the "Virus and Spyware Scan", however, some time through it it just stops scanning through items although it claims to still be running.

thank you in advance for your assistance

Welcome,

Can you give us some additional details about your system? Version of your Norton product, operating system, any error messages, etc. Nothing personal but without some details it is almost impossible to guess what's happening.

thnaks

Dick Win7x64 SP1 current NSBU
Kudos0

Thanks for the quick reply!

The computer is very slow. It seems clear that there is a virus somewhere.

No error messages. The program never stops running suddenly. It is still running but it gets stuck on an item and therefore gets stuck in the entire process

Norton Product: Norton 360 version 5.1.0.29. This is for a friends computer. They downloaded their new version recently, however, they claim it was happening with the old version as well which was out of date for a couple weeks before the new one was acquired.

Operating system: Windows Vista

thanks again

Kudos0

pitab88 wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply!

The computer is very slow. It seems clear that there is a virus somewhere.

No error messages. The program never stops running suddenly. It is still running but it gets stuck on an item and therefore gets stuck in the entire process

Norton Product: Norton 360 version 5.1.0.29. This is for a friends computer. They downloaded their new version recently, however, they claim it was happening with the old version as well which was out of date for a couple weeks before the new one was acquired.

Operating system: Windows Vista

thanks again

Hi,

Can you confirm that there is no other security software installed and active? Two security programs on the same system will produce the problems you are describing. One of the possibilities is Microsoft Security Essentials which is preinstalled on many systems. If there are any security programs present be sure to use the vendor's removal tools to uninstall them. If you don't the bits and bytes that remain after only a control panel uninstall can be almost as damaging as the whole program.

By way of explanation; security products often consider other security products to be a threat and block their operation. When they are able to block each other you have little or no actual protection and operations slow to almost a halt.

Hope this helps. Stay well and surf safe. We'll be here when you need us

Dick Win7x64 SP1 current NSBU
Kudos0

The only other security software I could find is "windows firewall with advanced Security".

Also, the last security software WAS uninstalled through the control panel. Since this has occurred, how can it be fixed at this point?

Thanks again. I really appreciate your help

Replies are locked for this thread.