• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

phone call from windows support center

I just got a phone call from windows. They say that there is a serious threat  malware on my computer.

There English was difficult. First a man then a woman who instructed me to go to Run and then type something. As I could not understad their instruction they stopped.

I see now that Norton closed the windows fire wall. Why? I have opened it again.

I have Norton IT security 2012.

Klara

Replies

Accepted Solution
Kudos0

Re: phone call from windows support center

Its a scam. Beware. See this link:

infosecisland.com/blogview/12709-Windows-Support-Scam-Update.html
Kudos0

Hi klara66,

This sounds like  a scam phone call I have received a few times.  Did you allow them access to your computer?

Norton firewall should be enabled and the Windows firewall should be disabled.

First thing I would do is run a full system scan with NIS,  then I would download a copy of the free version of Malwarebytes AntiMalware from here,  (Thanks to delphinium for the link)  and run a full scan with that too.  The free version is Norton Compatible so you can keep it on hand for a second opinion.

Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks,  Dave.

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 *|*|* Norton Security with Backup v22.1.0.9
Kudos4

Hi klara66

I don't know in which part of the world you live but these scam phone calls are big business, pulling in  thousands of pounds, for these rogue/bogus application pushers.

Last year a colleague of mine said that he fell for one of these bogus calls, they claimed to be from Microsoft and that they had spotted they his computer was infected with a variety of viruses and they they could help him.  Since his adult kids were always messing up his home computer he believed the bogus phone call and, as instructed, downloaded some bogus anti-virus software that infected his PC with malware. Then the scammers demanded £99.00 (ninety-nine pounds) from him, he refused to pay.

He said that he and his family started to get threatening phone calls from the scammers demanded the money that they said he owed them.  He told them unless they stopped calling he would go to the police, he has not heard from them since then.

He took his PC to a professional in computer repairs and got his machine restored to normal.

You see, the way the scam works is to catch the unwary and naive PC user off guard, gain PC user's confidence by pretending that they are from a reputable organisation (usually Microsoft) and that they know what they are talking about.  The truth is that these scammers are gambling that you have a PC, because 80% - 90% of home users do use PCs, and that the majority of PC users know very little about how their PCs work or whether it is infected or not.

The scammers usually have one of two goals:-

a) Con you out of your money by getting you to download some bogus software and then charging you for it, as they tried with my colleague.

or

b)  Getting you to download some bogus software/bot so that they can gain control of your PC in ordr to aid them in some other criminal activity, such as a DDOS attack.

There was a third goal I had heard about, a few years ago, and that is blackmail i.e. telling the police you have illegal material on you machine unless you pay some money into a specified account.

UK Bob 

Kudos0

Hi Guys

I was in the middle of editing my post above "Bogus phone calls from Scammers claiming to be from Windows or Microsoft" when I lost my internet connection for 90 minutes, my ISP is working on their email and Internet servers, now I can't get back into my post to complete my editing.

Can somebody do something so that I can finish my editing? 

UK Bob 

Kudos0

ukbobboy wrote:

Hi Guys

I was in the middle of editing my post above "Bogus phone calls from Scammers claiming to be from Windows or Microsoft" when I lost my internet connection for 90 minutes, my ISP is working on their email and Internet servers, now I can't get back into my post to complete my editing.

Can somebody do something so that I can finish my editing? 

UK Bob 

If your ISP is working on it's servers, how were you able to make this post at all?

--------------------------------------------------Gary
Kudos0

Nikki605

You asked:  If your ISP is working on it's servers, how were you able to make this post at all?

Answer: With difficulty.

Last Friday I lost the use of my email and Saturday I lost the use of my Internet, I called my ISP and was told that they were working on the servers.

However, this morning I was able to send and receive emails again and found that my Internet had returned, albeit at a slow speed.

So I started to go through the forums I am a member of and reply to a couple of queries, at about 12.02pm today I lost my Internet  again, for approximately 90 minutes, when I was editing the post I made in this forum.  Once I got my Internet connection back I tried to re-edit my post and founfd that I could not.

Hence my plea for someone to do something.

There endeth my sorry tale.

UK Bob 

Kudos0

Hi Bob, Dave and Cskwatra

Thanks for your answers.

Evidently I was lucky as I couldn´t follow the Scammers instructions of what to type on the Run, due to their bad English. So they gave up. I phoned the shop were I recently bought my computer. They also told me that it was a fraud and somebody trying to get acsess to my computer. They advised me to call the Police. So I did that. But the Police said it wasn´t a crime to try to encroach on a computer.
I have been using Mac for many years and have never had any problems with virus or malware. But I have now bought a Windows PC because it was much cheaper, at least here in Sweden. Perhaps I should go back to Mac?

Klara66

Kudos0

I see that your problem has been resolved. I'm glad to hear that. 

i just want to add though that I did receive a call like that from 800-698-9034. Is that the same number you have? I actually reported the man to the consumer complaint website. Here's the link to my report http://www.callercenter.com/800-698-9034.html. And boy, several other people also reported that phone number.

Maybe.it's the same guy who called you.

Kudos0

vicki,

<<  I actually reported the man to the consumer complaint website. >>

Do be careful since that site is not any official complaints organization and the do tell you to report it to the Federal Communications Commisssion who do have such a site although I don't know if they do much about individual complaints.

Interesting to see how many years the MS Scam goes back!

http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-800-698-9034 

That website is useful for checking up on incoming calls when you have caller ID although often I just Google on the number and a recent experience showed that these complaint listing websites can be misleading.

We had automated call from from a credit card company we use asking us to call them on an 800 number they gave and also said we could check online on  our account about somethiing. The 800 number was not one on any of the credit cards themselves nor was it one on a letter from them about a recent dispute over a charge.

I looked the number up via Google and got sites such as you used and many of them insisted it was a scam number although one thread was an argument between users as to whether it was or not.

Anyway my wife called the 800 number on our cards and asked them if the given number was OK, was told that it was and was connected to the persons concerned to discuss something we knew about.

So everyone needs to be careful and when in doubt look for an alternative, known to be good number and use that to verify.

I'm not talking about the Microsoft and the other PC Infected scams but in general.

Hugh

Replies are locked for this thread.