• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Should ccsvchst.exe be using 99% of a Celeron(R) 2.60GHz 0.99GB RAM CPU ?

At  start  of  day  when  I   open  Firefox   browser ,  it   frequently  hangs .  

I  have  just  started  to  check  what  goes  on  in  the  Task Manager  when  it  hangs  and   noticed   ccsvchst.exe   is   always  at  62  to  99%  CPU  when  this  is  happening   and  when   ccsvchst.exe  falls  back  to  5  or  6%  Firefox  stops  hanging .
Should    ccsvchst.exe  ever  be  using  99% CPU  ?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Should ccsvchst.exe be using 99% of a Celeron(R) 2.60GHz 0.99GB RAM CPU ?

At  start  of  day  when  I   open  Firefox   browser ,  it   frequently  hangs .  

I  have  just  started  to  check  what  goes  on  in  the  Task Manager  when  it  hangs  and   noticed   ccsvchst.exe   is   always  at  62  to  99%  CPU  when  this  is  happening   and  when   ccsvchst.exe  falls  back  to  5  or  6%  Firefox  stops  hanging .
Should    ccsvchst.exe  ever  be  using  99% CPU  ?

Kudos0

no ccsvchst.exe will not take that much.

Try this solution

try disabling norton by clicking the norton on notification area

disable smart firewall

disable antivirus autoprotect

select the time frame of 15 minutes

and restart the computer

try enabling it again and tell what is happening

keep us on loop

regards

Venkatesh.S

Kudos0

I   am  not  too   sure if  I have  understood  your  directions   venkat0052,  but  I  disabled  them  both  after  disconnecting  from  the  internet  ,then rebooted  then  re-enabled  them  then  connected  to  internet  and then   started  Firefox .

Firefox  launched  quickly  and  without   ccsvchst.exe  --  both  instances  - rising  in CPU  usage.

As  I  said , it  frequently  occurs  at  start  of  day  and   I  will  watch   on  every   boot   and   keep   you informed  if  it  occurs .

Thank  you  for  the  assistance.       

Kudos0

I apologise for that

but am happy to hear that your problem is not there . Dont worry it will no longer be there.

Check the machine tommorow

keep us on loop

if problem occurs please post with a screen shot . I will help further

Cheers

Venkat0052

Kudos0

I  have  not  noticed  ccsvchst.exe  using  high  CPU    on  startup  nor  Firefox  hanging , but  I  have  not  used  computer  much and  will  continue  to  monitor .

But   yesterday  using  my  computer  I  noticed  that  all  open  applications  had  frozen  on  3 or  4 seperate  occasions  and  had  to  wait  for  it to  unfreeze   then  it  froze  again  and  this  time  Task Manager  was  open  and  visible  and I  saw  that  the  culprit  was  ccsvchst.exe  using  99%  of  CPU ( PID  364  other  ccsvchst.exe  was  PID  928 )  and  this  persisted  for  5  or  so  minutes  then  it  deaceased  to  60%  then  lower  and  when  it  reached  20%  the  applications  open  became  unfrozen  and  accessible  again .Very  shortly  after  that  I  had a Norton  performance  alert  and  it  was  for  high  CPU  usage  for  ccsvchst.exe   " Disk  activity  1535MB for  this  process".

I  do  not  really  understand  how  to  interpret   this  performance  alert . 

Any   ideas   anyone ? 

Kudos0

Things  not  running  too smoothly  at  the  moment .

I  have  had  a  few  occassions  of  Norton  ccsvchst.exe  rising  to  99%  again  but  these  times  the  system  did not  freeze  but  I  had  another  performance  alert  ,  this  time  ccsvchst.exe  was    using  1535MB  total .

About  2  hours  ago  I  decided  to  run  a  Quick  scan  but  Norton  got  stuck  in  system32    t    alg.exe   and  looked  as  though  it  was  still  running  and   it  had  scanned  2489  files ,  but  there  it  stayed  for  over  one  hour  30 mins  so  I decided  to  press  pause  and  it  stopped  but  with  no  option  to  'resume ' . So  I   went  to  Norton  error  reporting  in  security  history  and  no  sign  of  the  occurrence  ,  which  may  be  because  I  had  not  closed   the  application , but  I  did  notice  the  23  'internal  error'  entries   since  the  6th Jan  2012 .  ----Is  this  common ?

Kudos0

Had  another  Firefox    'freeze'   today  and  watched  ccsvchst.exe  in  Task  Manager  almost  as  soon  as  the  'freeze'  started.

I  am  almost  sure  that  I  glimpsed   three   ccsvchst.exe's   briefly  but   two  ran  and  now  , several  hours  later  two  are  still  running. This  is  probably  normal  and  not  unusual  in  my  Task  Manager  entries.

ccsvchst.exe  CPU  usage  rose  to  98%  during  the  freeze  and  gradually   subsided  and  the  'freeze'  stopped  and  Firefox  began  responding  again. I  realise  that  this  may  be  coincidental  or  the  way  that  ccsvchst.exe  typically  behaves .

As   venkat0052  suggested  I will  attempt  to  show  the  screenshot::

Sorry  for  the  lack of  clarity  and  though  ccsvchst.exe  was  at 98%  when  I  tried  to  snapshot it  ,  it  is  only  at  86%  in  this  rather  dreadful  snapshot.

Kudos0

Hi 

sorry for delay 

can you kindly tell me what is your home page? 

can you try with some other browser , and try disabling browser protection . 

kindly post with clear image of screenshot so we can help you more further. 

Regards 

Venkat0052

Kudos0

Ah  venkat0052  , dear  helper  ,

I  have  only  just  stumbled  upon your  post  as  I   was  about  to  post   and  I  have  not  been  to  this  forum  for  several  days  and  had  no e-mail  informing  me  of  your  post.

Anyway ,  I  am  not  trying  to  belabour  this  topic  but  am  seeking  to  rule  out  Norton  in  the  search  for  what  is   causing  the  random driver  crashes( BSoDs )  in  my  system .

After  the  apalling  screenshot  I  sent  , I  have  been  trying  to  capture  ccsvchst.exe  using  98%  of  my  only  CPU  , but  as  the  CPU  usage  is  so  high  and  the  system  partially  and / or  fully  frozen,  it  has  happened  several  times  but  I  have  not  been  able  to  capture  it. I  tried  again  today  but  did  not  get  it, but  ten  minutes  later  Norton  360 alerted  me  to  high  CPU  usage  by  Symantec  Framework (100% )  so  here  that  is:

Dear , dear, I  do  apologise  for  another bad  image  but  it  does  indicate  the  high  CPU  usage.

And  I  am  not  trying  to  scapegoat  Norton ;  I  realise  whatever  is  causing  the  crashes  could  also  be  causing  the  high  CPU usage   and   Firefox  and  its  plugin-container.exe   and  iexplore.exe  have  all  been  at  98%  CPU  before .

To  answer  your  questions  venkat0052  ,  my  homepage  is  http://www.google.co.uk/webhp  using  Mozilla  Firefox  effectively  99.9%  of  the  time ,  but  I  will  use  IE 8  from  now  on  and  have  just  turned  off  browser  protection  in  Firewall>Intrusion and Browser  protection   and  will  let  you  know  how  this  goes .

Thanks   again.

Kudos0

Had  a  different  Norton  performance  alert  - disk  read  and  write  activity  -  and  have  no  idea  what  this  signifies , any  input  appreciated :

If  you  have  problems  viewing  yet  another (sorry! )  puny  image  then  if  you  go  to  the  bottom  of  the  page  - 'Images  for  elspeth ' - http://http://community.norton.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/135172  - all   the  images  posted  in  this  thread   can  somehow  be  viewed  in   remarkable  clarity ;  or  you  can  take  my  word  that  the  'Symantec  Framework'  performance  alert  below   has  in  red  ink  at  the  bottom  two  lines

Disk  Read  Activity    333MB  ( total  for  this  process ).

Disk  Write  Activity  107MB   ( total  for  this  process ).

Kudos0

Hello!

Sorry to hear that you are still having problems.

Since it seems to be related to your browser, perhaps Norton get stuck scanning some files(s) related to it. Have you cleared out your browser lately? Over time, a lot of crap accumulates in the browser folder.

For Firefox: Tools menu -> Clear recent history. Click "Details" and uncheck cookes and active logins (or you will have to log in everywhere all over again) and select "Everything" in Time range to clear.

If that doesn't help, I would suggest uninstalling and reinstalling your Norton product, in case there is something quirky with the current installation.

Replies are locked for this thread.