• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

Symantec AntiVirus 10.1 (Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\vpmesece4.dll) cannot be loaded

The following message keeps popping up in my outlook email.  I checked Norton Internet Security for an update.  Says I have the latest version.  Any suggestions.  The Add-in Symantec AntiVirus 10.1 (C:\Program Files\SymantecAntiVirus\vpmesece 4.dll) cannot be loaded and has been disabled by Outlook.  Please contact the Add-in manufacturer for an update.  If no update is available please uninstall the Add-in.

I don't know if my emails are being scanned or not. 

I saw a similar post but it looked like they were on a shared computer.  Mine is stand alone. 

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Symantec AntiVirus 10.1 (Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\vpmesece4.dll) cannot be loaded

sophie4 wrote:

The following message keeps popping up in my outlook email.  I checked Norton Internet Security for an update.  Says I have the latest version.  Any suggestions.  The Add-in Symantec AntiVirus 10.1 (C:\Program Files\SymantecAntiVirus\vpmesece 4.dll) cannot be loaded and has been disabled by Outlook.  Please contact the Add-in manufacturer for an update.  If no update is available please uninstall the Add-in.

I don't know if my emails are being scanned or not. 

I saw a similar post but it looked like they were on a shared computer.  Mine is stand alone. 

Welcome,

Please help me out. What is your operating system, which version of what Norton product are you running and is there or was there another security product installed befroe you installed your current product?

Thanks

Dick Win7x64 SP1 current NSBU
Kudos0

Re: Symantec AntiVirus 10.1 (Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\vpmesece4.dll) cannot be loaded

Hi sophie4,

If you are running Symantec Antivirus you should post to the enterprise product forum.  The Norton forums are for the Norton consumer products.  There are some significant differences in the two products and you will get better information for your antivirus issue on the corporate boards:

http://www.symantec.com/connect/security/forums

Kudos0

My operating system is Windows XP.  The product I purchased and downloaded was Nortion Internet Security by Symantec.  There was a prior Norton product that I was told to delete before my new download.  I didn't have any messages coming up before the new product purchase

I guess I am confused about the 2nd post to contact the enterprise product forum for symantec.  My product is Norton by Symantec. 

Kudos0

Hi sophie4,

Look in Add/Remove Programs and make sure that Symantec Antivirus 10.1 is not listed.  If it is, let us know.

Kudos0

sophie4 wrote:

My operating system is Windows XP. 

Please advise XP SP#

The product I purchased and downloaded was Nortion Internet Security by Symantec.

Have you installed (purchased and downloaded) Norton Internet Security.

Please advise site used for purchase and download of Norton Internet Security.

Please advise NIS version # found at Support > About (on the NIS user interface)

There was a prior Norton product that I was told to delete before my new download.

What was the prior Norton product and how was the product removed. 

I didn't have any messages coming up before the new product purchase

Are you reporting "message" after product purchase or after product install.

I guess I am confused about the 2nd post to contact the enterprise product forum for symantec. 

Topic subject and file path suggest enterprise product.

My product is Norton by Symantec. 

NIS21.6 VistaSP2 FF32 IE9 Compaq A931NR
Kudos0

Close Outlook.

Go to:  C:\documents and settings\{username}\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

Rename extend.dat to extend.old

Open Outlook.

You may need to change the view settings to show all files because I think Application Data is a hidden folder in XP.

If you don't see it try pasting: %appdata% into the run box and then double click into Microsoft/Outlook

Dave

Kudos0

Found file by doing a search and changed file extenstion from extend.dat to extend.old.  So far this seems to have worked.  Can you tell me what this did exactly.  Thank you for your help.

Kudos1

Sorry, I must have been in a rush.

The "extend.dat" file holds entries to tell Outlook what addons to load.   You had an entry in it to use Symantec AntiVirus to scan the files, that must have been the program you were using before.

It used to be a common problem for people using the corporate versions of Symantec AV that uninstalling the program wouldn't always remove the entry to load the scanner.

Renaming the file makes Outlook create a new blank one.  If you have any other addons you want to use for Outlook you can just reselect them now and they will be entered into that file and also loaded when you open Outlook.  

Dave

Kudos0

I found this thread on the Symantec corporate forum that mentions "Symantec CleanWipe", which is similiar to the Norton Removal Tool [which will NOT remove the Symantec corporate products... I think, since it is not listed as one of the products it will remove] (http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/endpoint-removal-tool).  However, it requires the customer to contact customer service for the tool.

I think CleanWipe can be used to remove all traces of Symantec corporate products.

Quoted from the thread:

Helen_Gressman wrote:

Hello,

The Cleanwipe utility is a very easy but potentially very dangerous tool to use which is why Symantec is requiring customers to open a call to receive the utility.  The *best*  way to remove the product has always been, and always will be, to use the Add/Remove programs feature in the control panel.  If Cleanwipe would be available for anyone to download we’d have people running cleanwipe to fix things that don’t require uninstalls in the first place, because it’s relatively easy to use.

A Symantec technician should be the one to  deem it necessary to run.

Norton Internet Security 2012, Internet Explorer 9, Windows 7 Home Premium (64 Bit) SP1
Kudos0

Extend.dat is a microsoft file, cleanwipe never fixit it if I remember correctly.  The Symantec reccomended fix was what I gave.

On some of the older products it was always best to disable all the AV options and reboot before uninstalling the product.

But since it couldn't find the file, and if SAV is not listed in the add-remove program menu then it's been uninstalled.

I would not reccomend running cleanwipe unless NIS starts showing problems or conflicts.  Chances are everything is fine.

However, if for some reason you really do need cleanwipe.  You might want to seach the forum here and filter the results by my user name.  wink wink

Dave

Kudos0

Hi DaveH,

Just curious but why WON'T you recommend CleanWipe?  If I understand correctly, CleanWipe is like the Norton Removal Tool, which is always recommended when switching Norton products or switching to another company's anti malware solution.

Norton Internet Security 2012, Internet Explorer 9, Windows 7 Home Premium (64 Bit) SP1
Kudos0

Who says the Norton Removal Tool is always recommended?

I know it gets recomended a lot by some of the gurus and a few of the Symantec employees but I have also seen some Symantec employees say that it's only necessary if you have problems in the regular uninstall or if your in a situation where your installed product is having problems or conflicts that may be due to a a previous version. 

My personal feeling is that the removal tool is overused and unecessary in most cases.  Prior to the 2009 versions the removal tool really was necessary, no doupt about it.  But since 2009 the Norton products really do uninstall very well.

On my test systems, more than once, I have gone between all the different versions of NIS, NAV, 360, including the previous year versions and netbook versions trying to get something to break and have never been able to cause a problem by just using the windows uninstaller.  I think one time I went back and forth though over 15 different versions using combinations of saving all the settings and removing everything without ever being able to cause a problem.

But like I said, thats just my opinion. 

Dave

Replies are locked for this thread.