• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

network security map

hi everyone i wondered if some one can tell me what should show up on the network security map. Should the router you are connecting to show up on the map? I keep on getting a router/switch show up on the map but it does not always have the correct mac address as the router i am connecting to. I keep on removing it from the network is it the right thing to do.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: network security map

hi everyone i wondered if some one can tell me what should show up on the network security map. Should the router you are connecting to show up on the map? I keep on getting a router/switch show up on the map but it does not always have the correct mac address as the router i am connecting to. I keep on removing it from the network is it the right thing to do.

Kudos0

Hi richlust,

We get a few of these situations now and then.  First, the router you are currently connecting through should not be visible in the Network Security Map.  However, if you have recently had the PC on another network, then that network's router can appear as a device in the map.  Depending on your network settings, the device could be a neighbor's unsecured router.  Do you recognize the MAC address at all?  Really the only way to get to the bottom of this is trial and error.  I have yet to see a case reported here though that didn't turn out to be something simple and harmless.  If your wireless connection is properly encrypted there is very little chance of this device being something that doesn't belong.  If you are unable to figure out what the device is, you could always exclude it from your network using your router's MAC filtering option.

Kudos0

Now this is why I posted, my mac address of my router ends in a 48 I have been connecting to a 4b and a 49 and on the windows gateway on the control panel that days 4b also, so in theory I am on someone else's network but it is not being displayed and mimicking my router ssid?
Accepted Solution
Kudos3

If the last digit of your MAC address is off by one in the Norton logs, that is probably explained by the fact that routers have a different MAC address for the WAN (internet) and the LAN (your private network).  Some routers also have separate physical addresses for wired and wireless.  A minor difference in the last digit shown in the Norton logs, versus what you see otherwise is not uncommon.

Kudos0

Thank you I appreciate your time and knowledge :-)
Kudos0

Hi richlust,

You're welcome.  Router MAC addresses that are one last digit off have been reported previously and I have even seen this on my own system, so if that is your issue, you can rest easier.

Kudos0

Jive hi sorry i am back again, i just purged the network map to start again and it says i am connected to 4b and i can see 48 my routers mac code on the network security map, would you still say this is ok? It does seem really weird

Kudos0

As long as the rest of the MAC address matches, I would say you are fine.  First, no one else is going to be able to piggyback on an encrypted network and, second the chances of a neighbor having a device that is one digit off from your MAC address would be rather slim, yes?

Kudos0

k ;) much appreciated

Replies are locked for this thread.