• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

Norton360 upgrade deleted MS Security Essentials, why?

The norton360 upgrade deleted Microsoft Security Essentials.  I liked my MS Security Essentials and I want to reinstall it.

Tell me why I can't use it.  I understand that Symantec does not want the competition but I need an honest answer as to the removal of MS Security Essentials.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton360 upgrade deleted MS Security Essentials, why?

Hi DDPaul,

Norton correctly removed Microsoft Security Essentials because it conflicts with Norton 360.  You should not  have two real-time security products installed as they will clash,  slow your system and can make it unstable.  It can also actually decrease your overall security. I hope this helps.

Dave.

"But who has any right to find fault with a man who chooses to enjoy a pleasure that has no annoying consequences, or one who avoids a pain that produces no resultant pleasure?" "The wise man therefore always holds in these matters to this principle of selection: he rejects pleasures to secure other greater pleasures, or else he endures pains to avoid worse pains."
Kudos0

Hi,

You might here this a lot but only one anti virus can be installed without causing you problems.  It wasn't a matter of competition when it uninstalled MSE but a matter of insuring you were protected properly.

Many users install the free version of Malwarebytes because it does not conflict as it does not have real time protection.

Kudos0

Hi DDPaul,

If you use more than one antivirus or antispyware program at the same time, your PC may experience decreased performance, become unstable, or restart unexpectedly. Before you install Microsoft Security Essentials, or if you want to resolve issues with Microsoft Security Essentials, including installation issues, you must first completely remove any Internet security programs from your PC.

That is taken directly from this Microsoft Security Essentials FAQs page.  In the case of Norton, MSE and Norton running together is known to cause a complete loss of internet connectivity in some cases.

Kudos0

The norton360 upgrade deleted Microsoft Security Essentials.  I liked my MS Security Essentials and I want to reinstall it.

Tell me why I can't use it.  I understand that Symantec does not want the competition but I need an honest answer as to the removal of MS Security Essentials.

Kudos1

You only need 1 Anti-Virus installed on a PC to avoid any conflicts in scanning and detection.

By default, most security software installers now delete other versions of Anti-Virus programs before they continue with their own installation.

Running any Norton product is more than enough protection!!

Replies are locked for this thread.