• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Norton Toolbar For Firefox 3.6.28

My Norton Toolbar disappeared from Firefox after it's last update. Will it be updated for it? I'd love to have it back but I don't really want to update my Firefox yet. I'm a little worried about upgrading from FF3 to FF10 or whatever the newest is out now. I don't use Beta versions either so I won't use 11 cuz that's as much as I know that's out for 11.

My username should have been demonicvampireGIRL but the IRL got cut off before I noticed it.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Toolbar For Firefox 3.6.28

Hi dvgirl

Please check the post by one of our admins in here regarding the Firefox versions that are supported.

Kudos0

So that means I got to update to Firefox 11 or whatever the newest one is out soon or what? I don't really understand the link in that post very well.

My username should have been demonicvampireGIRL but the IRL got cut off before I noticed it.
Kudos0

Hi demonicvampiregirl,

Norton will only support Firefox 9.x and above. Beta and Pre-Release versions of Firefox will not be supported until they are released. If you are running Firefox 3.x, Firefox 4.x, Firefox 5.x, Firefox 6.x, Firefox 7.x, or Firefox 8.x, it is highly recommended that you upgrade to a more recent version of Firefox at:

http://www.firefox.com

Regards, Dinesh Bhalaji
Kudos1

It is always recommended to keep your Operating system and all your Softwares upto-date, that'll help the Antivirus software to keep your stuff protected. Even if an Antivirus provides protection to your computer, the softwares installed installed in your computer should be updated regularly to keep their flaws/bugs at the bay. And you will not be able to experience the modern improvisations with the older versions.

The reason for the dropping of support is clearly mentioned as "  In order to ensure high quality and timely Firefox compatibility updates, we have removed support for older versions of Firefox. " 

Dropping the support for old versions can help the Programmers/Developers to concentrate more on the Latest versions to provide their best.

Dropping of support for old versions of Browsers has been announced by Google for Google Apps:

http://gmailblog.blogspot.in/2011/06/our-plans-to-support-modern-browsers.html

Kudos0

Okay not what I really meant. I just hope that browser works for Windows XP Pro. I know they drop support for things eventually but my concern was are we being forced into upgrading or can we still stay on FF3? I'm worried it wont work with my OS and my mom seems to have several issues with hers on her Vista but her comp is dying so that may be the problem either way.

• Firefox 10 will be the base version for the initial ESR and, assuming this is the case, Firefox 3.6 will be end-of-lifed on April 24th, 2012 (when Firefox 3.6 is end-of-lifed, an update to the current version of Desktop Firefox will be offered through the Application Update Service).
  • The ESR release will use the same version number as the version of Firefox it is based upon (e.g. if the ESR is based off of Firefox 10, the ESR version will also be 10)

Those are the parts I really don't understand. I get the end of life thing meaning they wont be supporting it anymore. I had to upgrade from FF2 because it kept messing up on start up to get anywhere unless I hurried and clicked off a different link but beyond that it would crash all the time.

Kudos0

A Firefox browser Crash can happen because of several reasons. The New version crash can be one of the reasons(rare) but not in all the cases. All the computers are not the same. For example: We are not gonna avoid using modern Gadgets because others are having trouble with it, correct?

Kudos1

Hi demonicvampiregirl,

Essentially, after April 24, Mozilla will no longer provide security updates for Firefox 3.6.  Since your browser is your most used internet-facing application, it is also the primary point of entry for malware.  You do not ever want to be running a browser that has security flaws that are unfixed,  From a security standpoint, you were going to have to update to a current version of Firefox soon anyway.  Firefox 11 is the newly released official version and it runs fine on XP.

Kudos0

If that's the case I will probably upgrade sometime soon. Also why I'm asking about FF11 does it still carry over bookmarks that are on the bar? I have several links stored there that aren't in folders or in the bookmark menu.I mean upgrading to the newest Adobe and all that will be easy I'm just worried over the FF11 upgrade.

@SUBASH_PRABU

This was years ago though so I don't really think much of it anymore. Just one day after seeing a upgrade to FF3 pop up it started to crash whenever I first loaded it so I upgraded it and it worked perfectly.

Kudos0

demonicvampireg wrote:

If that's the case I will probably upgrade sometime soon. Also why I'm asking about FF11 does it still carry over bookmarks that are on the bar? I have several links stored there that aren't in folders or in the bookmark menu.I mean upgrading to the newest Adobe and all that will be easy I'm just worried over the FF11 upgrade.

@SUBASH_PRABU

This was years ago though so I don't really think much of it anymore. Just one day after seeing a upgrade to FF3 pop up it started to crash whenever I first loaded it so I upgraded it and it worked perfectly.

Hi demonicvampireGIRL,

Please see this post from FIREFOX HELP for more details.

PS.  If you send a private message to one of our Norton Community Administrators,  they may be able to correct your user name. 

Thanks,  Dave.

Windows 7 x64 SP1 | NSwB 22.1 | MBAM Premium | MBAE Free | HMP.A 2 | SpywareBlaster
Kudos0

Hi demonicvampiregirl,

All of your bookmarks, preferences, etc., are stored in your Firefox profile, which is retained through the upgrade process.  When you first start your new version, all of these things should be there, just as they were before.  That being said, it is always wise to make periodic backups of your profile so that you can restore it in case it becomes corrupted or damaged.  Please see the following for more information on backing up your profile:

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/Backing%20up%20your%20information

Kudos1

@Krusty13

Okay thanks!

I may send them a message. I'm a bit sick of seeing it as demonicvampireG.

@SendOfJive

Thanks. I will look into that and probably back it up before I upgrade to make sure everything goes with me. If anything I'll reorganize them before I do so.

Replies are locked for this thread.