• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos1

Drive Bleaching in Norton Utilities

I bleached a drive and afterwards I found 767 files named pgbleach.n (n=1 to 767) in the root of the drive. Is it safe to delete these files?

Also, when upgrading to N360 v6 it broke Ghost 15 and had to re-install it. Just an FYI.

Bob Eyster

[Clarified Subject]

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Drive Bleaching in Norton Utilities

Thank goodness for Google -- I've never heard the term drive bleaching and I've been around computers rather a long time!

If there's anyone out there like me, it's overwriting free space with to avoid data recovery ....

Sorry I can't help you with the question but I'm confident there are others here who can.

Hugh
Kudos0

Can I get some help on this issue please? I have 767 files (pgbleach.n) that are 1,073,741,824 KB in length that are eating up disk space on my HDD. I would like to know If I can delete these files safely. Thanks

Bob Eyster

ThanksBob_EysterWindows 8.1 Pro 64Bit Full Version,N360 v21...
Kudos0

Hi Bob

What is the software you had used to bleach the Hard Drive?

( I use PC Tools Performance Toolkit )

Kudos0

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response.

I thought I had used N360 v6 but it was Norton Utilities 15 under clean a disk. There is a box to check if you wanted to include bleaching the drive. It's something you would do over night.

Kudos0

Hi BoB/Robert

You can go ahead and remove those files by going to the file location and deleting them. you'll not face any trouble.

Kudos0

Thanks. Answer me this, what good does it do to bleach a drive and the process creates files that you need to delete. It doesn't make sense

Kudos1

Bob_Eyster wrote:

Thanks. Answer me this, what good does it do to bleach a drive and the process creates files that you need to delete. It doesn't make sense

Bob,

The files used to say 'this is Bob's data' they now say 'xoxoxoxoxoxox' or they may say '1010101010101010' then again they could say 'FfFfFfFfFfFf'. Regardless of what the final character set is the data that was there has been overwritten with a different character at least once. If it is the government standard 'bleach' then each bit has been overwritten several times. It may be possible to recover something from that drive but it would take very special techniques, hardware and software. For the most of us mortals the adequate answer to the question 'can data be recovered from a properly bleached disk?' the correct response would be 'NO'.

Deleting a file only changes the initial character in the file allocation table so that the operating system thinks that the space is free. Until that space has been overwritten more than once some or all of the data that was there is still there.

Deleting the bleach files will do the same thing. The difference being that the space has character strings now, not 'real' data.

Hope this helps

Dick Win7x64 SP1 current NIS V21
Kudos0

Your actually not supposed to have to delete the files, something must have interrupted the process.

The large files contain random data.  What happens is all the free space on the partition gets used up and as soon as that happens the program is supposed to delete all those files.

The end result is that all the free space on the drive has been overwritten (bleached).  Any data that used to be there is non-recoverable because it has been overwritten with random data.

Dave

Kudos0

DaveH wrote:

Your actually not supposed to have to delete the files, something must have interrupted the process.

The large files contain random data.  What happens is all the free space on the partition gets used up and as soon as that happens the program is supposed to delete all those files.

The end result is that all the free space on the drive has been overwritten (bleached).  Any data that used to be there is non-recoverable because it has been overwritten with random data.

Dave

Hi Dick and Dave,

Your answers were very informative. I recall stopping the process of Bleaching the first time because I let it run over night and around 10 am it was still running so I stoped it in order to do some needed work.

Again thanks for you time and help.

Replies are locked for this thread.