• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Norton Ghost 15 Key

I bought Ghost to backup Windows 7 on my HP touch desktop yesterday. I entered my key and it worked just fine and I was able to backup my whole system and I created a recovery disc as well. 

The purpose was to restore Windows 7 after I played with Windows 8 Consumer Preview Evaluation Copy.  After installing Win 8 Ghost informed me that I had a trail version and only 29 day left.  I entered my key correctly but was informed that it was invalid.

I assume that Win 8 has something to do with this.  Can you concur?  I have turned off the backup schedule right now. If I restore Win 7 will the key still work?

Thanks

Chuck

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Ghost 15 Key

kc5ezs wrote:

I bought Ghost to backup Windows 7 on my HP touch desktop yesterday. I entered my key and it worked just fine and I was able to backup my whole system and I created a recovery disc as well. 

The purpose was to restore Windows 7 after I played with Windows 8 Consumer Preview Evaluation Copy.  After installing Win 8 Ghost informed me that I had a trail version and only 29 day left.  I entered my key correctly but was informed that it was invalid.

I assume that Win 8 has something to do with this.  Can you concur?  I have turned off the backup schedule right now. If I restore Win 7 will the key still work?

Thanks

Chuck

Welcome Chuck,

I think your assumption is correct. I'm running a multi-boot system and W8 has slipped into a few places I hadn't expected to find it.

As for your Ghost key, it will continue to work for several more installs on this machine. If you should run into a problem please contact customer supoport here: http://www.norton.com/chat they do good work quickly

We'll be here when you need us

Dick Win7x64 SP1 current NSBU
Kudos0

I was playing around with Windows 8 Preview also. Ghost will not accept the license key. I have read at least one or two others say trhe same thing. I guess it just isn't compatible. Maybe this is by design?

Kudos0

Red,

You can install G15 and play with it but it will not activate, but Ghost 12 works ok and activates.

Deric

Kudos0

That is strange. I don't think I would try to install Ghost 12 on a 64-bit OS though.

Kudos0

Why not use cold imaging instead? That would bypass all of these problems.
Kudos0

coup27 wrote:
Why not use cold imaging instead? That would bypass all of these problems.

Cold Backup doesn't do incremental. Cold Backup has to be run outside of Windows.

Kudos0

redk9258 wrote:

That is strange. I don't think I would try to install Ghost 12 on a 64-bit OS though.

I am only talking about 32 bit, 64 bit?

Deric

Kudos0

DStain wrote:

I am only talking about 32 bit, 64 bit?

Deric

A lot of people run 64-bit versions of Windows, myself included. I wouldn't try to install Ghost 12 on a machine running 64-bit Windows 8, or any 64-bit version of Windows.

Kudos0

I concur...you may get it to work, but the registry in Windows 8 is different enought that the location of the license keys cannot be located by Ghost.

You should be able to restore Windows 7 fine if you have not already done so.

-Andy

Replies are locked for this thread.