• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

Norton Ghost 15 Error: E98F0004: RPAM initialisation failed

I am running Ghost 15 on XPsp3 backing up C:\ to X:\Backups

The backup runs to completion successfully, but does not clean up when the number of backups created exceeds the number configured (4).  The email status returns successful, but shows the RPAM error.

Date: 3/23/2012 20:30:23 PM

Notification Type: Info

Priority: High

Description: Info 6C8F043D: Recovery point [My Book]\Arch-2_C_Drive022.v2i deleted to comply with the number of recovery points to save for each drive.  Error E98F0004: RPAM initialisation failed.

Which is also logged in the Application event log.

The backup drive eventually fills up and starts to fail.

There is a lot of chatter on the internet, but no fix other than chkdsk - which does not work.

HELP!!

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Ghost 15 Error: E98F0004: RPAM initialisation failed

thanks for the reply.

the backup USB drive is a 2TB Mybook, with 500GB free.

the backup is configured to keep only 4 copies of backups, and report that it is deleting one each time, only to fail with the error in the original post

at the moment there are 6 copies of the backups, and I have to manually prune to keep the free space available for the backups to run.

Kudos0

jefricllc wrote:

thanks for the reply.

the backup USB drive is a 2TB Mybook, with 500GB free.

the backup is configured to keep only 4 copies of backups, and report that it is deleting one each time, only to fail with the error in the original post

at the moment there are 6 copies of the backups, and I have to manually prune to keep the free space available for the backups to run.

Hi,

More questions what is the format on the 2TB drive? and is it plugged into the motherboard or a hub?

Thanks

Dick Win7x64 SP1 current NIS V21
Kudos0

The USB drive is formatted NTFS, plugged directly into a USB 1.1 port on the front of the Dell Tower (its an older Dell)

Kudos0

jefricllc wrote:

The USB drive is formatted NTFS, plugged directly into a USB 1.1 port on the front of the Dell Tower (its an older Dell)

Hi,

Check the specs on the USB drive and make sure that it is 1.1 compatible. Those larger drives were 2.x compatible and some are 3.x so 1.1 may not work. If not it may be possible to install a USB card in the box to get to at least 2.x speed so that your drive will work.

Kudos0

The specs on the drive do not mention usb1.1, only 2.0 & 3.0 Interesting though that the backups complete and are good but it is only the deletion step that fails. Is there any way to confirm your theory and the RPAM error? Thanks for your help.
Kudos0

USB 2 is supposed to be backward compatible with USB 1 / 1.1

Kudos0

Going back to the original post, what is the cause of the problem where the backups complete successfully, but do not remove the accumulated backup files beyond the configured history (of 5 in this case) and produce the error:

Error: E98F0004: RPAM initialisation failed

Thank you,

Alan

Kudos0

Kudos0

thanks for the quick reply.

i came across this site before posting on the community.  unfortunately it did not help.

i am currently testing disabling everything in msconfig, but still can't find anything about this error message that is helpful.

Kudos0

Were you able to resolve this? If not, please tell us if this ever has worked?

Also, are you using the OPTIMIZE feature of Ghost 15? If so, try disabling that and stick to the setting to retain 4 backups (or whatever you have it set to now).

Let us know.

-Andy
Kudos0

i don't see the "optimize" setting anywhere in my copy of Ghost 15

where should I find it, when editing an existing backup job?

Kudos0

I might be wrong but I don't think the "optimize" option is available in G15 only N360.

Deric

Kudos0

If you click TASKS, MANAGE BACKUP DESTINATION. Then click SETTINGS from the window that opens. Make sure the radio  button is set to 'Warn...' and not to 'Automatically optimize...'.      Deric, you're right. In this version, it is called 'Disk Monitoring'. Too many version is making me loony. :)

-Andy
Kudos0

You are right Andy,

it's sending me round the twist, it's in "Tools" on my version.

You also need to tick the box "monitor disk space" to make the optimize buton available.

Deric

Kudos0

It was aleady set to WARN - the problem persists.

thanks for trying.

Kudos0

I recommend deleting the job completely and starting over, all the while, resetting the RPAM.  To do this:

• Stop the Norton Ghost service: Click Start-Run, type SERVICES.MSC and locate the NORTON GHOST service and the GENERIC MOUNT HELPER service. Stop them. The latter may be set to manual and may already be stopped.
  • Open Ghost and delete all backup jobs.
  • Browse to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Norton Ghost\History folder and delete any file with the .PQH extension. You may need to change your VIEW so you can see the files.
  • Browse to the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Norton Ghost\Schedule folder and delete all files with the .PQJ extension. You may need to change your VIEW so you can see the files.
  • Browse to the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec and delete the RPAM folder.
  • Browse to your backup destinations (where you backup to) and delete the file RPAM_STORE.DAT. This may also be a hidden file.
  • Restart both service from the first step.

• Reboot the machine.
  • Recreate the job. When choosing your backup destination, create a subfolder for your backups.

• Test.

-Andy
Kudos0

The backup runs to completion successfully, but does not clean up when the number of backups created exceeds the number configured (4).  The email status returns successful, but shows the RPAM error.

Description: Info 6C8F043D: Recovery point [My Book]\Arch-2_C_Drive022.v2i deleted to comply with the number of recovery points to save for each drive.  Error E98F0004: RPAM initialisation failed.

There is a lot of chatter on the internet, but no fix other than chkdsk - which does not work.

HELP!!

Kudos0

jefricllc wrote:

HELP!!

Hi,

A couple of questions first. What is the size of the backup drive and how much free space is available at the time that Ghost should be deleting the oldest backup files?

Thanks

Replies are locked for this thread.