• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

Help! I don't remember my password on my Samsung Galaxy Y.

Had to change my sim and I don't remember my password and I used the "buddy" but when I called her she said she didn't recieve any text before of my password.

How can I unlock my phone?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Help! I don't remember my password on my Samsung Galaxy Y.

Had to change my sim and I don't remember my password and I used the "buddy" but when I called her she said she didn't recieve any text before of my password.

How can I unlock my phone?

Kudos0

i can't still open my cp still blocked... thanks

Kudos0

Hi YongSkies,

Welcome to the Community.

We would like to help but your post does not give us much to work on.  Can you please explain a bit more fully what sort of problem you are having on what device, and ideally what versions of software you are using.

Also although you appear as a "Newbie" and it shows as this being your first post, you say "i can't still ...." which seems to imply that you have posted before.  If that is the case can you say what name you used last time?  As again, this might help us to help you.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kudos0

Very un-savy smartphone user. I too forgot my password on LG. Had My Buddy text my phone per Norton instructions. Did not work. Probably because I had tried too many password guesses. Am hopelessly locked out. LG said it is a Norton prob. Norton not helpful. Help!

Kudos0

Hi Gr9623.

Welcome to the Community.

Sorry to hear of your problems but we will try to help.

The buddy unlock should work.  If you are using a version of NMS that was installed or updated since the middle of December then your buddy needs to send an SMS message from the phone you recorded as the buddy phone to the locked phone.  That message must be:

unlock

Just that - nothing else, just the six lower case letters.  Anything else from any other phone will not work.

If that does not work then can you try giving us a little more information?

Do you know what version of NMS you have or when it was last updated?

When you go to the lock screen is it telling you who your buddies are?

Had you installed the Norton Anti-Theft plugin?

Look forward to hearing from you.  Good luck.

Kudos0

Sorry, first time using this forum - post ended up in a wrong place

Very un-savy smartphone user. I too forgot my password on LG. Had My Buddy text my phone per Norton instructions. Did not work. Probably because I had tried too many password guesses. Am hopelessly locked out. LG said it is a Norton prob. Norton not helpful. Help!

Kudos0

Hello again Gr9632

I have already replied to your earlier post (here).  

Did that make any sense or help at all?

Kudos0

Thank you for your response! This is my very first time on a "forum", if thats what this is called. Am desperate. My Buddy and I attempted to unlock as many different ways as we could think of - upper, lowercase, space, no space on advise of Norton chat. I tried several passwords, so maybe that locked me up further. Also, I get a message'SIM changed". I was told, I don't have a SIM card! Also, on a previous (months ago) I unlocked successfully, no problem. What now?

Kudos0

Hi Gr9623.

Yes this is a forum (the Norton Mobile Security Forum) and you have now "posted" in two "threads" but I suggest that to keep it simple  you just post "replies" in this thread for the time being.

I would be surprised if you did not have a SIM card - what phone do you have?

Have you changed the password since you successfully unlocked the phone last time?

Have you tried the Buddy unlock exactly as I described it in my other post?

I will leave the questions at that for now and look forward to hearing from you again.

Kudos0

Phone is LG.l Will attempt unlock. Am waiting.

Don't know what version NMS or when updated last. No, haven't installed Norton Anti-Theft plugin. After all this is resolved, should I?

Also, another issue. I repeatedly get a message 'ph full, delete files'. I have a 16 g memory card, have transferred as much as I had options.

Kudos0

Hi Gr9623.

Please let us know when your buddy has sent the message from the relevant phone, and what happens.  I will wait for your update.

LG produce a number of Android phones I believe, all with different specifications.  If the "unlock" does not work it might help to know which one you have e.g Optimus, Optimus 2x, Optimus 3D, InTouchMAx......

It would have helped if you had installed the plugin.   But whether you do after it is unlocked is up to you.  It offers some extra features and if you have the full version of NMS it is free.

I am puzzled by your "other matter".  Do you know where these messages are coming from?  What do you mean by "have transferred as much as I had options"?  You have transferred files from somewhere onto your 16Gb card and have filled it?  Or you have copied files off your card in some way?

I await your news.

Kudos0

Thank you for your patience and willingness to help me. I was waiting on my buddies to respond.

I  don't know if unlock  did in fact unlock. My screen is now showing

Enter your password:

with the keypad.

I have not done so I would be guessing and it would set me back to square one.

This is a Virgin Mobile LG Optimus V

When will I have the opportunity to reset my password?

Kudos0

There are two possible lock screens.  One is ours (you'll see the Norton symbol).  The other is if you created a PIN for the SIM card (no special symbols provided).  Do you know if you set up a SIM PIN?  If you don't see the Norton Symbol, then you've gotten past our lock screen and are probably looking at the SIM cards PIN lock screen.  

You will be able to reset the AntiTheft password once you are able to gain access to the device and open the main UI.  The SIM card PIN is another matter.  For that you'd have to talk to your carrier.  

Kudos0

No, I did not set a SIM pin. Yes, there is a Norton symbol.

When will I have the opportunity to re-set a password? Originally I might have made matters worse by attempting too many times.

Thank you for your patience and help.

Kudos0

Hi Gr9623.

Is the screen you are now seeing the one that you were seeing before the "unlock" message was sent?  Does it have a bar with the word "Unlock" underneath the space for "Enter Your Password"?  Is there an "unlock Help" button at the top right of the screen?  If so what happens when you tap the "unlock Help" button?

Can you confirm that you have good reason to believe that the "unlock" message from your buddy was received?  If so how do you know?

Sorry about all the questions but if we are to solve this the answers should help.

When you set up "anti-theft" do you think that you checked the box for "Security Wipe - after 10 password attempts"?  This is unchecked by default and given that you say you are not an experienced computer person I assume you would not have changed it.  However if you did then that alters things.

Finally could you try and explain what you were saying about your SD card (see my earlier post about this).

I look forward to your reply.

Kudos0

Upper left: Yellow  Padlock,  Device Lock on white background

Upper right: yellow  ? Forgot Password on black background

Black padlock Device locked because SIM card has been changed. on yellow background

Enter your password:

keypad

No, I have no way of knowing for sure I rec'd messages from My Buddies except their word and the phone vibrating. I don't recall checking box for Security wipe after 10 attempts.

Regarding other problem, I get repeated messages, "low space, delete folders/files" - no exact words. I have a 16 gig memory card

Kudos0

Hi Gr9623.

Thanks for the info.  It would appear that you have an old version of NMS.  The current version has "unlock Help" at the top right.

In that case your buddy has sent the wrong message as the unlock message was different with the older software.  Contact your buddy again and this time ask him/her to send the message

unlock 987654321

that is, the word unlock in lower case, a single space, and then their mobile phone number without any leading zeros, spaces, international dialing codes or any non numeric characters (represented above by 987654321).  Then, if this matches the buddy phone number you previously recorded on your device it should unlock.

Also as it seems unlikely that the - wipe if more than 10 wrong passwords - was checked, you may carry on entering likely passwords fairly safely.  Don't forget that it is case sensitive.  As you say you previously did unlock with the password you should be able to remember it again.

Good luck and tell us what happens.  It is good to hear that you will know when the message arrives though the vibrate.

Kudos0

Just thought I'd step in to comment a little bit.  

The fact you feel the phone vibrate when it receives the SMS means it's not getting the right command.  I'd follow Mike's steps.  If needed, send me a private message and we can work out the command as sometimes it can be an oversite that leads to the incorrect command being sent.  

The low space message will be coming from your phone.  Once you unlock the device you'll need to clear up some space.  

Kudos0

Thanks for stepping in. I know I am getting email notifications as I had set up, am almost positive My Buddy's calls are causing vibration notifications. I don't know what else to do.

I have no idea how to contact you via private message but would love to resolve this quicker.

Awaiting your responses and hope My Buddy will be available too.

Kudos0

Hello again GR9623. 

Sorry that this is still not resolved but glad that you are again getting messages through.  However, as Erik pointed out, the fact that they are causing a vibration seems to show that the wrong message is being sent.

I will repeat again what needs to be done to try and make it clearer.  The "buddy" who you set up in NMS on your locked phone before it locked, needs to send a SMS message to the locked phone with NMS on it, in the format

unlock 123456789

where 123456789 is the number of the buddies phone without any leading zeros, spaces, non numeric characters or international dialing codes.  The word unlock or possibly in your case its Italian alternative (see the guidance on the locked phone) needs to be in lower case and to have just one space after it and before the number.  Given that you may have been changing SIM cards I would recommend that you put back whichever SIM card was in when NMS was set up - if that is possible, and remember that you should not need any credit to receive a call.  If it is not possible try with whatever you have.

Try that and tell us what happens.  Can you also tell us whether the guidance on the phone shows if you should use "unlock" or an Italian alternative.

I am off into the hills and will not be back for about 8 hrs but will check in here when I come back to see if you have been able to make any progress.

Good luck.

Kudos0

Thanks for hanging in with me! Means a lot.

My Buddy has texted to my phone

unlock her phone number, with space, without space, lower case, upper case. We tried all options.

Screen instructions in yellow is

unlock2134567890

On my screen, there is an Emergency Call, to the left of Unlock. Who receives that call??

At no time did I change/remove SIM card. Originally I was told (Virgin support) to turn off ph, remove battery, wait, replace and turn on. Then Norton walked me thru to reset to factory setting: Turn off, hold menu, down volume keys and turn on, releasing when phone turns on, etc etc etc. That did not work, Norton said it was LG problem so here I sit with a locked ph.

What is SMS? Am I misunderstanding/missing something?

On my screen, there is an Emergency Call, to the left of Unlock. Who receives that call??

There is no Italian alternative but I don't quite understand what you mean.

I thank you for your help.

Kudos0

Hello again Gr9623.

Sorry nothing seems to be working.

Lets try and clarify a few things.

I thought you said that the text on the NMS screens was in Italian - that is why I thought it possible that the "unlock" command might also have been translated.  However from what you said in your last message it appears that it has not been - good - that simplifies one thing.

An SMS message is another description for the text messages that mobile phones send to one another.  The NMS instructions have to be sent as SMS messages from one phone to another.  There are some messages that can be sent from computers and tablets to mobile phones which try to look like SMS messages but NMS does not recognise them and they do not work.  However if you buddy is sending a text message from their "buddy" phone to yours then that should be an SMS message, so that should be fine.

The reference to Emergency Calls is, I believe, to allow you to call the emergency services (Fire, Police, Ambulance) even if the phone is locked.  This is a standard feature on mobile phones.  It is not relevant to the lock in this case and you should not use it, unless you get a real emergency!

What you describe as "the screen instruction in yellow" looks odd and appears to be wrong.  As I previously said there must be a single space between the word unlock and the buddy number.

Can you confirm that you registered your buddy's phone number with NMS before the phone locked up?

Can you confirm that your buddy has sent the SMS (or text) message

unlock 987654321

where 987654321 represents the number of the phone registered as the buddy phone, and the one from which the message is being sent, no spaces in the number, no characters other than numbers, no leading zeros and no international dialing codes?

If that does not work and just in case you do have the more recent software she could also try just 

unlock

In case that does not work (I have not known it not to work before) I will ask some more questions which it might be helpful if you could answer.

From what country is your buddy sending the message?  I believe that you are in the UK, is that correct?

Is your buddy sending the message from the same country that their phone is registered in?  Is your phone registered in the country you are in?  I.e.. has the phone you are using in the UK, a UK telephone number or has it, say an Italian number, on a roaming contract?

You might also like to send my a private message including your buddy's phone number so that I can look at it and send back the precise message that I think they should be sending.  Do not post this in a public post such as this.

My fingers are crossed but as you can tell I am running out of ideas.

I await your reply.

Good luck.

Kudos0

Hi, Andmike

I am in the USA, My Buddy also, both of them. Where are you? I believe My Buddy has texted correctly to my phone, from the phone, number which I registered. Also tried unlock with no phone number.

Yes, I registered the phone numbers before I got locked out - previously I was locked out and a call from My Buddy unlocked my phone, no problem.

Do I send a private message by clicking on your name on the upper left?

My Buddy is not available at this time. Will continue to work on this matter.

Kudos0

Hi Gr9623.

First may I apologise for some confusion that is entirely down to me.  My mentions of Italy/Italian and the UK were because I had confused you with another unlucky person who also had had their phone locked.  This was my mistake, I hope it has not confused things too much.

However none of this seems to get us any further forward.

You say that the phone locked once before and that your Buddy unlocked it with a message.  You should have been reminded to reset the password then.  Did you not keep a copy having been locked out once before?

You also say that you have two buddies was the one who successfully unlocked the phone last time the one who has been trying this time?

If you want to send me a private message click on my name (Andmike) at the top left of my post.  That will take you to my "about" page - on the right you should see a "Send this user a private message" link - click on that.

Kudos0

This is just to record that Gr9623 has sent me the two 7 digit buddy mobile phone numbers.  I have sent back the two messages that they should respectively send.  I have also suggested that if those fail then they might also try "unlock" and even Unlock" in case it is the more recent software.

I have further suggested that the best buddy to try first is the one that worked last time.

After testing on my own device I have confirmed that, certainly on the latest software and I am fairly sure on the earlier software, if you have a remote unlock then the software insists that you immediately input and confirm a new password.  I hope that this will have helped Gr9623 to remember the last occasion, and the password.

Now we just have to wait and hope.  If this does not work then I am sure Gr9623 would welcome any other suggestions.

Kudos0

Hi AndMike,

We finally tried unsend and Unsend. Neither worked. The phone never vibrated indicating the call was received. Anyway you could unlock it remotely?

I am at my wits end.

I will be gone Wed morning until Friday night and will carry the phone with me.

Gr9623

Kudos0

Could you clarfiy what you mean by "unsend"?  Is that the command you are sending via SMS? The way to remotely unlock is to either have a registered buddy to send the unlock command via SMS if you have 2.5 or higher or to send unlock (their phone number, no leading 1, 0, etc or your passcode).  Creating a remote backdoor is not exactly secure, hence the reason why the ability to create a buddy.  The fact that you are not registering any received SMS would imply that your SIM card is not registering with your carrier.  

Kudos0

Hi Gr9623.

Like Erik I am puzzled about your "unsend".  I am also puzzled as to why you do not appear to have read the private message I sent you on 19 April though you had read the one I sent on 18 April and replied to that.  May I suggest that you read the message I sent on 19 April and see if that helps.  Do let us know what happens.

Kudos0

Hi all,

not being from the US myself, 7 digit buddy cell number seems a bit short. U drop any international codes. The US uses an area codes (3 numbers) + cell (7 numbers) which equals 10 digits. Here in the UK, after dropping the international code and leading 0, our mobile numbers are also 10 digits long.

Hi Eric, as Gr9623 has sent AndMike his two buddy number, each 7 digits long, to verify the format to send. Is this correct for Gr9623's possibly earlier version of NMS.

Plus, after all this, I hope 'unsend' is a typo. Lol.
WIN7SP1x64 RTM, ASUS P5Q E6300 @ 2.8GHz, FSB 400, 2 x 2GB GEIL DDR2 800, ASUS HD4850 512MB @700/1100MHz,SAMSUNG SYNCMASTER T220, SEAGATE ST3500410AS 500GB SATA300, HITACHI HDS721616PLAT80 160GB ATA133,OPTIARC DVD RW AD 7200S SATA150, ANTEC NEOPOWER 650W.Norton 360 6.1.1.8, Norton Mobile Security 2.5.0.395, Norton Mobile Utilities 1.0.2.95,Norton Mobile Anti-Theft 1.3.0.122, Norton Mobile Identity Safe 1.0.0, Norton Mobile Connect 0.0.5Samsung Galaxy S (GT-I9000), Android 2.3.5, Firmware I9000XXJVT
Kudos0

Hi Rik.

Thanks for your comment but ....

It was my error!  I have no idea why I put 7 digit.  The numbers were 10 digits long.  

I just wait to see if Gr9623 gets and acts on my message and then .....

Well here's hoping!

Kudos0

We have tried

unsend10digits

Unsend10digits

It is unfortunate that Norton made it more complicated than necessary to unlock a phone. My Buddy's phone number was selected, I registered it, why would it not unlock if I called her, she returned with a text and her phone number? At this point, I need a solution. Tell me where I can send this phone so someone could unlock and reset this phone.

Gr9623

Kudos0

Is there a reason why are you are using the term unsend as opposed to unlock?
Kudos0

Hi, Andmike

I just posted a reply. Misspoke, I meant unlock, not unsend also, with complete phone number with area code, per your April 19th instructions.

I don't think I had an opportunity to enter a new password when I previously unlocked the phone.

What now?

Kudos0

Hello again Gr9623.

I am puzzled - not only do you say that you sent "unsend" and not "unlock", but you show not space after the word and the number.  It is essential to send exactly the correct SMS message from the right phone.  I sent you exact texts to be sent by SMS from the relevant phones.  However now I see that you have still not read the last message I sent you.  I suggest that look at your messages inbox (you find it via the envelope at the top right of this screen) and read my message.  Then can you confirm when the relevant messages have been sent and tell us what happens.

Also picking up on a point that Erik raised, are you sure that you have a good network connection and that the SMS messages can get through to the locked phone?

Kudos0

Hi, Andmike

Obiously you did not read my corrected posting. I incorrectly used the word unsend and not unlock.

These I have tried, with both My Buddys:

Unlock 1234567890

unlock1234567890

UNLOCK 1234567890

unlock 1234567890

Yes, I used My Buddy's ACTUAL phone number.

Instructions on my phone is:

unlock 1234567890

I will attempt all variations again tomorrow. Yes, I have connection.

Gr9623

Kudos0

Hi Gr9623.

Glad to see you have picked up my mail.

The instructions on your phone are correct the last of the options you list (the one that matches the instruction on your phone) is the correct format, and should work.  More recent software should just need the word unlock.

Good luck.  Sadly, if this does not work, I think I have run out of ideas.  :-(

Kudos0

Dear Andmike and others who have been most helpful

Tonight for some unknown reason, I decided to call my cell from my landline phone. A person (male) answered!! I called again complete with area code in case I had made a mistake. NO, I got the same gentleman! I called My Buddy from my cell, my number showed up on her caller ID! This gentleman called my landline phone and MY CELL NUMBER CAME UP on my caller ID!! I am at a total loss how this could happen, but apparently this is why the confusion and unsolveable situation. Explains why my phone was never unlocked by My Buddys - texts went to his phone, my phone didn't vibrate with notifications.

I thank you all for your help and not giving up on me. I am off to virgin air to turn in the locked phone/get a new number.

Thank you again

Gr9623

Kudos0

Hi Gr9623.

Thanks for coming back and telling us what was happening.  Most peculiar and most frustrating I'm sure!  

I'm glad that you have got to the bottom of the issue.  I have not heard of this happening before and I hope that with your new number your life will be trouble free.

Good luck for the future.  

Kudos0

Hi 

I am having similar problems with my galaxy s2. the programme suggest asking a buddy to txt "unlock 123456789" My buddy is in France with a roaming account.

Does that make a difference to the number which has to be included.

Also do you need the " " in the message?

Thanks

Girish

Andmike wrote:

Hi Gr9623.

Thanks for the info.  It would appear that you have an old version of NMS.  The current version has "unlock Help" at the top right.

In that case your buddy has sent the wrong message as the unlock message was different with the older software.  Contact your buddy again and this time ask him/her to send the message

unlock 987654321

that is, the word unlock in lower case, a single space, and then their mobile phone number without any leading zeros, spaces, international dialing codes or any non numeric characters (represented above by 987654321).  Then, if this matches the buddy phone number you previously recorded on your device it should unlock.

Also as it seems unlikely that the - wipe if more than 10 wrong passwords - was checked, you may carry on entering likely passwords fairly safely.  Don't forget that it is case sensitive.  As you say you previously did unlock with the password you should be able to remember it again.

Good luck and tell us what happens.  It is good to hear that you will know when the message arrives though the vibrate.

Kudos0

Hi girishtalaulika.

Welcome to the community.

This thread is a long one so when you say you are having similar problems what exactly do you mean?  Is the phone locked?  If so do you know what caused it?  Have you tried all your likely passwords?

If the program is suggesting that your buddy text "unlock 123456789" then it must be quite old software.  Have you not updated it this year?  I would have thought that if it is that old the license may have expired.

How many buddies did you set up?  The current software recommends at least two.

Are you using the full version of Norton Mobile Security or the free "Lite" version?

Do you also have the Norton Anti Theft plugin installed?

When you say your buddy is in France - what country are you in?

I await your response so that I have a better understanding of what your problem is, what caused it, and what software we are dealing with - so that I can then make a reasoned attempt and trying to help.

All the best.

Kudos0

thanks Mike,

I changed the Sim card which triggered Norton Mobile security to lock the phone.

I purchased norton mobile security from the Android store (1 year subscription ) just a month ago. I had set up one buddy.

I am based in Australia.

Not sure if I have the Anti-theft software installed.

Girish

Kudos0

Hi Girish.

The good news is that if you purchased your product only a month ago it is should be the latest software.  It must have insisted that you set up at least two buddies so you should have at least one not in France.  It should also call your buddy to ask them to help if you wish.

What seems odd is the message you say it is suggesting.  With the software you bought then the message that your buddy (i.e. a person you set up as a "buddy" when you set up the NMS security software) should send by SMS to your locked phone, should be: 

unlock

just that - lower case - six letters - no spaces - no numbers - nothing else.  Now that should work from France to Australia but I'm not sure anyone has tested it yet.  It should definitely work for a buddy in Australia.  The software should remind you who all your buddies are.

On the other hand, if is was only a month ago are you sure you have forgotten your password?  Just a month ago you paid good money for security software and set up a password to protect your phone, and now you can't remember it!  As you most probably did not set up a limit to the number of tries you can make (you should remember if you did) then try a few more - remembering that it is case sensitive.

As for Norton Anti-Theft plugin - this is an extra piece of software you can download for free from Google Play (was Android Marketplace) (if you have the paid version of NMS) and it then allows you to control various security features related to the phone from your PC by logging into your Norton account.  If you did load it (you should now recognise from this description if you did) then it might also help you to unlock your phone.

I hope that some of that helps and that you manage to unlock the phone.

Feel free to come back if need any further help.  If it does help it would be nice to know just what did work for you - so others may be helped in the future.

Good luck.

Kudos0

Thanks Mike,

I am uncertain whether i purchased Mobile security Lite or mobile security. I had initially downloaded the app free from google play but susequently signed for a $3.00 subscription.

If it is indeed mobile lite will unlock still work?

Girish

Kudos0

Hi Girish

Norton Mobile Security (Paid) and Norton Mobile Security Lite (the unpaid app) are the same software.  It is merely that when you pay certain extra features are unlocked.  

If you paid then you should have all the functionality.  Though I have never seen it as cheap as $3,  more like $30 I think.

If you set up a buddy then the buddy should be able to unlock your phone - as will your password.

Kudos0

Thanks Mike.

It is $3/month. 

Will the buddy need to txt unlock or unlock 123456789 or "unlock 123456789"

Thanks

Girish

Kudos0

Hi Girish.

As I said in my earlier post the SMS that needs to be sent from the predefined "buddy" phone to the locked phone is:

unlock

and that is all.

Good luck and do let us know how you get on.

Kudos0

Hi Mike,

unlock did not work - any suggestions on where to from here?

thanks

girish

Kudos0

Sorry but just at the moment all that comes to mind is:- keeping trying likely passwords and; waiting for your buddy (did you really only set up one?) to return to Australia in case the international links have somehow got in the way.

Maybe someone else will have some bright ideas.

Kudos0

Girish,

A couple questions.

The buddy who is sending you a text, are they sending from the phone number you set up as a buddy?

Do you see/hear a notice of receiving a text message?  

Kudos0

hi can you help me plz to unlock my phone ? it apperes only 1buddy but that buddy dosen't have the same number how can i unlock ?:|