• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Norton Web Safe Not Working

When I upgraded from Windows Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 Ultimate, Norton Web Safe icons stopped working in IE. I have NIS 19 and IE 9. Norton Web Safe works in Chrome and Firefox. If I use the Norton search within IE9 I see the icons, but not when I use Google search, Bing search,or Yahoo search I do not see the Norton Web Safe icons. I have a laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium and that works, so I think it has to do with Windows 7 ultimate. I have turned off Google instant search. Any ideas on what else I can try? 

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Web Safe Not Working

When I upgraded from Windows Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 Ultimate, Norton Web Safe icons stopped working in IE. I have NIS 19 and IE 9. Norton Web Safe works in Chrome and Firefox. If I use the Norton search within IE9 I see the icons, but not when I use Google search, Bing search,or Yahoo search I do not see the Norton Web Safe icons. I have a laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium and that works, so I think it has to do with Windows 7 ultimate. I have turned off Google instant search. Any ideas on what else I can try? 

Kudos0

Welcome shawrysh

In IE check under Tools-Manage Add-ons. Check that Norton Toolbar is enabled. Then check View-Toolbars and check that Norton Toolbar is checked.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Kudos0

Yes it is enabled. It works in IE if I use the Norton search, it doesn't work if I use the Google search.

Kudos0

Let me try again. In the same IE session if I do a Google search I do not get the Norton Safe Web icons. If I do the Norton search, I do get the Norton Safe Web icons. See attached.

How do I attach a screen shot to this forum?

File Attachment: 
Kudos0

The screen shots did not come across on the attachment.

Kudos0

shawrysh wrote:

Let me try again. In the same IE session if I do a Google search I do not get the Norton Safe Web icons. If I do the Norton search, I do get the Norton Safe Web icons. See attached.

How do I attach a screen shot to this forum?

See if this thread helps you out:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Forum-Tip-How-to-post-screenshots-in-the-forum/td-p/254415

Kudos0

Thanks that helped. Here is the image showing no Norton Safe Web icons in IE with a Google search, but in the same IE session it works with the Norton search.

Kudos1

shawrysh wrote:

Hi shawrysh,

Do you have ActiveX Filtering set to on?  If you do,  you need to allow ActiveX for Google.com etc.

Dave.

Windows 7 x64 SP1 | NSwB 22.1 | MBAM Premium | MBAE Free | HMP.A 2 | SpywareBlaster
Kudos1

ActiveX Filtering is most likely the cause of the problem here (IE9 > Tools > ActiveX Filtering).

Even though shawrysh is seeing Site Safety icons while using Norton Safe Search, these icons are being supplied by the search provider rather than being displayed dynamically by Norton. Norton only dynamically annotates links in the 'Sponsored Results' section shown at the top of the page in the Safe Search results. If the links in the 'Sponsored Results' section don't have any Site Safety icons, then having ActiveX Filtering turned on will most likely be the cause.

Kudos0

Thanks for the advise, but that is not the problem.

I do not have Active X filtering turned on. I did turn it on, then turned it off. It did not change anything.

Kudos0

Hello shawrysh,

Unfortunately, I cannot see enough detail in your image, but it appears you are performing a Google Search from a third party toolbar.

Is that correct?  If so, could you let us know which toolbar that is?

"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."   Edward R. Murrow
Kudos0

I'm doing a Google search from the Google toolbar.

Kudos0

Do you use the same toolbar configuration on the laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium?

I'm not a big fan of toolbars but was able to reproduce your issue on an XP SP3 machine using IE8. 

I installed Google Toolbar v 7.3.2710....  When I perform a search from within the Google Toolbar, I do not see the Safe Web ratings. 

When I perform a search directly from within IE8, the Safe Web icons are present.

"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."   Edward R. Murrow
Kudos1

Hi Phil,

This is a little strange,  as when I use Internet Explorer 9 I only search with the Google Toolbar and the Safe Site Icons are always present.

Thanks,  Dave.

Windows 7 x64 SP1 | NSwB 22.1 | MBAM Premium | MBAE Free | HMP.A 2 | SpywareBlaster
Kudos0

Indeed it is strange, Dave

As mentioned earlier, I really don't use any toolbars except for the Norton Toolbar, so I appreciate your observations.

Do you have the same version which I just installed? Version: 7.3.2710.138/en

Kudos0

Almost.  Mine is 7.3.2710.138/en-GB(ACAW)  I'm not sure what the ACAW is.

Dave.

Kudos0

Yes I have the same version of the Google toolbar on both machines. It is version 7.3.2710.138.

Kudos0

Can you try clicking the compatibility mode button (It looks like a torn piece of paper in the address bar) and see if the icons display.  Also click refresh (F5) and check.

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks,  Dave.

Kudos0

Thanks for the idea. When I do a Google search the compatibility mode icon is not there. I added Google.com to the compatibility mode list but that did not add the compatibility icon. I selected view all sites in compatibility mode, shut down IE, re-opened it, and still did not see the Safe Web icons.

Kudos0

Any other ideas or am I just SOL? I have IE as my default browser and would like to be able to get the Web Safe icons.

Thanks, Sh

Kudos0

When you upgraded from Vista to Win 7, was it a clean install or an inplace upgrade? It is possible that something got messed up in the upgrade.

You did not mention the complete version number of NIS. Support - About.

It might be worth trying the Norton Remove and ReInstall tool that you can find Here. If you choose this option, be sure to run LiveUpdate manually a few times, rebooting as necessary, until there are no updates available.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Kudos0

It was an inplace upgrade. The version of NIS is 19.7.0.9. I will try the remove and reinstall and see if that makes a difference. Sounds like a weekend task.

Thanks for the idea, I'll let you know how it works.

Sh

Kudos0

shawrysh wrote:

Thanks for the advise, but that is not the problem.

I do not have Active X filtering turned on. I did turn it on, then turned it off. It did not change anything.

Hi shawrysh,

As Phil has reproduced what you're seeing,  I'm guessing something else is in play.

I don't mean to sound like a scratched record,  but when you turned off Active X filtering, did you uncheck it from tools,  or just for Google.com in the address bar?

Thanks,  Dave.

Kudos0

It is turned off from the IE Tools menu.

Kudos0

Any other ideas? In IE 9 if I do a search in Google, Yahoo or Bing, no Web Safe icons, but in IE 9 if I use the Norton search on the Norton toolbar I see the Web Safe icons. In Chrome if I do a seach in Google, Yahoo, Bing, or Norton search I see the Web Safe icons. Again I have IE 9 running on Windows 7 ultimate.

Replies are locked for this thread.