• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

Norton Internet Security 2012 vs Norton 360?

Hi,

I am considering to buy either Norton Internet Security 2012 or 360 6.0 - but I am in doubt which one to go for.

I see that people say 360 doesn't have as many options for tweaking, so it's more set and forget - that sounds nice, but on the other hand I wouldn't like if it is doing something that annoys me a lot that I can't disable. It's not because I think it's technically too difficult for me do a little set up (I consider myself an advanced computer user, I build my own computers and work a lot with computers), but if I can get something that just works right away then I don't see the reason not to get that :)

Actually in a local store the 360 is a little cheaper than NIS2012, so the price is not really a factor in the decision :)

So basically, I am looking for something that gives me the best protection, but also something that just works right out of the box - but I can't really say if I need the options to tweak because it depeneds on how it runs - if everything is fine then I wouldn't have any interest in the amount of settings available to me :)

Another thing is the impact on PC performance - do they differ here?

I hope someone can give some advice, thanks.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Internet Security 2012 vs Norton 360?

Welcome tga

Both products offer the same protection, and both work straight out of the box. As you noted, NIS offers more tweaking options, but most people do not really need the extra control. You can usually disable a feature in N360 if you do not need/want it.

N360 has the additional feature of some performance tools and online backup. Depending on which version of 360 you get, Standard or Premium, you get 2GB or 25GB online storage.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Kudos0

Thanks for your reply.

So if we say I just installed the software, made sure it's updated etc., but didn't change anything other than that really - then NIS would work as good as if I did a similar install with 360, and in that sense NIS could be considered set-and-forget too? I mean, it's not like I have to go through a lot of the settings with NIS?

We're just referring to it as "settings", but what's an example of something NIS got but 360 doesn't?

And are there any differences in their performance footprint?

Kudos0

tga wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

So if we say I just installed the software, made sure it's updated etc., but didn't change anything other than that really - then NIS would work as good as if I did a similar install with 360, and in that sense NIS could be considered set-and-forget too? I mean, it's not like I have to go through a lot of the settings with NIS?

We're just referring to it as "settings", but what's an example of something NIS got but 360 doesn't?

And are there any differences in their performance footprint?

Sorry, but it has been some time since I had 360 installed, so I cannot remember specifics of the difference in the control of the programs. I'm sure someone else will add their knowledge to this thread.

As you say, once installed, if you do not find anything not working the way you want, they can both be considered set and forget. The main difference is the added functions of backup and a couple of utilities in 360.

As the underlying protections are the same, the performance footprint should be almost identical.

Kudos0

Hi tga,

First of all there is a comparison chart tab on this URL for NIS 2012/N 360 & N 360 Premier:

http://us.norton.com/internet-security/

IMHO, which product you purchase is partially driven by your own personal desires as to what you want the product to do.  All the protections/footprint are the same as peterweb pointed out, but the added capabilities are not. 

N 360 has the backup and tuneup functions - while NIS does not.  I have never run the Registry Cleaner on my N 360.  I have backup disabled also as I use another backup program that not only backs up data files, but is also capable of imaging the entire system.  Bottom line - do you really need the extra Optimization, File cleanup, Startup Manager, Diagnostics?

I am not really  sure of the addtional settings tweaking available with NIS at present.  I have not done a setting comparision with the 2012 products - but I do remember that being the case from previous versions.  Hopefully someone els ewill jump in and add the settings (tweakability) differences.

Kudos0

I don't really know if i 'need' those things or not - but that's mainly because I don't know how it would benefit me in practice? :)

I just know that I am using my computer everyday for my work - mostly very cpu-intensive tasks, and it's important that my computer runs nicely. Though I've been quite ok with Avast so far, which, as far as I know, doesn't do any optimization stuff or the like (and I haven't run registry cleaner either or any other cleanup/maintenance stuff, but maybe that's a mistake).

I also don't know regarding the backup thing - if it works nicely and simple then there's a chance I could use it, since I'm doing my backups manually right now (and not as often as I want) - I'd like to change on that so I get a better and more safe backup plan.

Kudos0

I'm currently using Norton 360 but used NIS the previous year.  I did not do a direct comparison of the available settings in each but as far as I can tell N360 has all the settings found in NIS just "hidden" slightly below the surface and easy enough to get at.  I do a lot of tweaking of settings and everything I'm looking for is there in N360 just slightly frustrating till you figure out where to find some of them.

Kudos0

To put it simply, here is what Norton 360 offers in addition to data storage: 1) "Automatically finds and fixes problems that can slow down your PC." 2) "Gets your PC up and running faster by letting you choose what programs to load at startup." 3) "Helps prevent crashes and keeps your PC running smoothly by removing outdated system files." So, if you would like these options, go with Norton 360. If not, go with NIS 2012.
Kudos0

So there are not any bad things about going with 360 compared with NIS?

Kudos0

tga wrote:

So there are not any bad things about going with 360 compared with NIS?

Hi,

I'm not sure what you'd call 'bad things'. 360 and NIS do similar things. The biggest difference is that with NIS you get much more flexibility. 360 is designed for you to install, configure once and forget.

If you have specific questions that have not been answered please post them and one of us will respond.

Til then, stay well and surf safe

Dick Win7x64 SP1 current NSBU
Kudos0

Hi,

I'm not sure what you'd call 'bad things'. 360 and NIS do similar things. The biggest difference is that with NIS you get much more flexibility. 360 is designed for you to install, configure once and forget.

If you have specific questions that have not been answered please post them and one of us will respond.

Hello :)

I meant any particular reasons not to go with 360.

I'm still a little uncertain about the benefits of the extra configuration possibilities with NIS - mainly because I've never really had to do any changes with my previous antivirus (Avast free) - so it's hard for me to tell if I would want those extra configurations possibilities with NIS - and rkasse posted before that he could find pretty much all the settings from NIS in 360 too so I don't know really :)

Kudos0

tga wrote:

Hi,

Hello :)

I meant any particular reasons not to go with 360.

I'm still a little uncertain about the benefits of the extra configuration possibilities with NIS - mainly because I've never really had to do any changes with my previous antivirus (Avast free) - so it's hard for me to tell if I would want those extra configurations possibilities with NIS - and rkasse posted before that he could find pretty much all the settings from NIS in 360 too so I don't know really :)

Hi,

For simple go 360

Kudos0

One thing to point out...If you do choose to go with a Norton product, be sure to completely remove Avast before installing Norton. Check the Avast web site for their uninstall utility. If you do not fully remove an antivirus product, you could see conflicts with a new product.

Kudos0

Here is the link to the Avast Uninstall Utility.

http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

Dave.

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 *** Norton 360 v21.6.0.32
Kudos0

It's going to be installed on a completely new computer, so nothing to uninstall - though maybe I will install it on my old one too (as I can get 3 licenses quite cheap) :)

One other thing, I just read that NIS usually gets updated in the fall whereas 360 gets updated in the spring meaning that there's a gap where NIS will use newer technology - is this true? Or is it something I shouldn't worry about?

Kudos0

Hi tga,

While it is true the new version of NIS is released earlier than the new version of N360,  new technology can bring unexpected surprises that may not have been discovered in BETA testing.  As NIS and N360 use the same protection engine,  this gives N360 users the advantage of having these surprises addressed before the release of N360.

What you should consider when choosing your Norton product is whether you will use the tune-up features and/or the online backup feature of N360.

I hope this helps.

Dave.

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 *** Norton 360 v21.6.0.32
Kudos0

tga wrote:

It's going to be installed on a completely new computer, so nothing to uninstall - though maybe I will install it on my old one too (as I can get 3 licenses quite cheap) :)

One other thing, I just read that NIS usually gets updated in the fall whereas 360 gets updated in the spring meaning that there's a gap where NIS will use newer technology - is this true? Or is it something I shouldn't worry about?

Please ensure there is no trial security product installed on the new PC.  Even if you have a trial of NIS and you are going to install N 360 (or vice-versa) the trial should  be removed prior to installing the new product.

Kudos0

Krusty13 wrote:

What you should consider when choosing your Norton product is whether you will use the tune-up features and/or the online backup feature of N360.

Yes, I agree.  Just decide if you want or need the extra features in N360.  I'm pretty sure everything else is the same just a different look and feel.

I'm curious, can anyone point out a feature in NIS that is not in N360?

Kudos0

Thanks, I think I will go ahead and get the 360 since it's cheaper, then I can experiment a little with the backup and tuneup features - I can turn off the tuneup feature if I don't want it right? :)

I build the PC myself so there's nothing installed yet apart from Windows (and it's sitting offline at the moment) - but thanks for the reminder :)

edit:

Anoter thing if I download the trial here http://us.norton.com/downloads-trial-norton-360 and buy this http://www.computersalg.dk/produkt/770496/norton-360-60-3-bruger-fuld-pakke-nor (the product name means Norton 360 3 users full package in Danish/Nordic languages) can I then activate the trial with no problems? The one I linked is the Danish version, but I prefer it in English as all my software is English - but the English retail version is apparently much more expensive where I live.

Alternatively, I could maybe buy it from the Symantec's American site?

Kudos0

tga wrote:

Thanks, I think I will go ahead and get the 360 since it's cheaper, then I can experiment a little with the backup and tuneup features - I can turn off the tuneup feature if I don't want it right? :)

I build the PC myself so there's nothing installed yet apart from Windows (and it's sitting offline at the moment) - but thanks for the reminder :)

Yes, there is a setting to turn off the backup feature.

Consider getting your 30 day trial with 'No credit card required' here: https://scm.symantec.com/norton/trialware/n3606/ 

Normally you can activate the trial version by clicking the renew link at the bottom of the main interface, then "I have a key or code" plug it in and you are all set.

I'm not sure if there are any issues renewing/activating using keys from different language versions.

I would get the trial version and then find N360 anywhere (store or online) and buy the least expensive one.  At Amazon(US) it is available for about US$35.  If you find N360 v5 at a cheap price, buy it.  Any valid license key may upgrade to the latest version.

Kudos0

Okay - I just received Norton 360 v6.0 - didn't install anything yet (not the trial either) - so I'm a little in doubt if I should just go and install from the disc (thus getting the Danish version) - or if I can with no problems download an English version somewhere?

But maybe I should just go with the Danish one since I wouldn't get into trouble that way at least :)

Kudos0

Some have suggested you download an English version and use the key you just purchased.

It might be wise to contact Support via online chat and verify that that will not cause a problem. You can find them here.

Please let us know what they tell you.

Kudos0

They said there were no problems doing that and provided a download link for the English version :)

Kudos0

Thanks for letting us know.

Kudos0

tga wrote:

Hi,

Schedules are not carved in stone. They can, and often do, change.

Choose the product that fits your needs best.

As always

Stay well and surf safe

Kudos0

Strangely enough I tried just for "fun" to see what language popped up when inserting the CD that came with the pacakge and it was English - So I just installed it from there and it is indeed English interface :)

I got one question regarding the tuneup - consdering that I got an SSD (and a HDD for storage) should I then disable the drive tuneup feature - as I don't think any sort of defragmentation or similar should be done on an SSD?

Kudos0

That's the Idle Time Optimizer. It should recognize your drive as an SSD and automatically exclude it from defragmentation. Personally, however, I don't trust "should" when it comes to these things, regardless of vendor - Microsoft, Diskeeper, Norton or any other - not when there is hardware at stake. So I disable it anyway, for good measure.

Kudos0

tga wrote:

Strangely enough I tried just for "fun" to see what language popped up when inserting the CD that came with the pacakge and it was English - So I just installed it from there and it is indeed English interface :)

I got one question regarding the tuneup - consdering that I got an SSD (and a HDD for storage) should I then disable the drive tuneup feature - as I don't think any sort of defragmentation or similar should be done on an SSD?

If you installed from CD, make sure you manually run LiveUpdate a few times, rebooting as necessary, until no updates are available. The build on the CD will not have the latest product updates.

Replies are locked for this thread.