• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

Norton Ghost 15.0 Cannot change the number in the "Limit file versions for backup storage"

Hello.

We are using Norton Ghost 15.00. I unchecked the "Limit file versions for file and folder backups" box, but the number of versions remains grey and I am unable to change the number of versions, which is presently set to 6.

The size of the disk is 75GBs, yet the size of the backup file folder is 418GBs!!!!!!!!!

What's wrong here. Why am I unable to change the number of file versions for file and folder backups?

Thanks

Mike

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Ghost 15.0 Cannot change the number in the "Limit file versions for backup storage"

It has been a while since I have done this but if I remember rightly if you clear the history by stopping the Ghost service and also delete the backup jobs, run define new and it should be enabled.

Also it would be better to untick the box "monitor disk space"

RedK may well know the answer to this one.

Deric

Kudos0

Re: Norton Ghost 15.0 Cannot change the number in the "Limit file versions for backup storage"

He's using File and Folder Backup. I don't use it or even understand it. It seems usless to me since I use imaging to backup complete partitions.

http://community.norton.com/t5/Other-Norton-Products/Ghost-Image-Backup-vs-File-and-Folder-Backup/m-p/212388#M20517

Kudos0

MikeB2 wrote:

Hello.

We are using Norton Ghost 15.00. I unchecked the "Limit file versions for file and folder backups" box, but the number of versions remains grey and I am unable to change the number of versions, which is presently set to 6.

The size of the disk is 75GBs, yet the size of the backup file folder is 418GBs!!!!!!!!!

What's wrong here. Why am I unable to change the number of file versions for file and folder backups?

Thanks

Mike

Mike,

Unchecking a feature usually disables it. The grayed number indicates that the feature is not active. Try checking the box again and see if you get a white background on a black number, you can change that one. Let's see 75 x 6 = 450. Sounds like you have almost 6 backups files.

If you want the best method of doing backups I'd recommend that you back up the partition [drive] about once a month and then do incremental backups once or twice a week. Keet two backups so that when Ghost creates the third one it will delete the older one. You can limit the number saved to one which will cause Ghost to delete the previous file after the new backup is created and verified [you do have verity checked don't you?]

Hope this helps. We'll be here when you need us. Til then

Stay well and surf safe

Dick Win7x64 SP1 current NIS V21

Replies are locked for this thread.