• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Internet Security 2012 won't activate, error 8505 129

I purchased Norton security 2012, installed fully (after it removed 2011 version) but will not activate, keeps giving error code: 8505, 129  recommends downloading the uninstall/re-install tool so I did that - same error code.

I then used the CD to uninstall and re-install, still getting the same error code. I've run live update until there are no more updates and rebooted even thought it didn't suggest it.

The computer I'm installing it on is running Windows XP, service pack 3.

I've been using Norton for years and never have run into this situation, is there any way I can log into my Norton account and activate it manually?

Thank you for your assistance

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Internet Security 2012 won't activate, error 8505 129


Jayme777 wrote:

I purchased Norton security 2012, installed fully (after it removed 2011 version) but will not activate, keeps giving error code: 8505, 129  recommends downloading the uninstall/re-install tool so I did that - same error code.

I then used the CD to uninstall and re-install, still getting the same error code. I've run live update until there are no more updates and rebooted even thought it didn't suggest it.

The computer I'm installing it on is running Windows XP, service pack 3.

I've been using Norton for years and never have run into this situation, is there any way I can log into my Norton account and activate it manually?

Thank you for your assistance


Welcome,

Sorry you are having a problem. A couple of questions - is there any other security software active on the system?

Before the software is installs and calls home [the Norton account server] it will be most unlikely that you can activate it in any way.

You might want to try downloading, installing, updating and running from your desktopo Malwarebytes free scanner:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free

It is Norton compatible so they will play well together. It is also a great source for a second opinion when you only 'think' there may be something wrong. Full scaqns by a current copy of NIS will provide better protection.

Hope this helps

Dick Win7x64 SP1 current NSBU
Kudos0

Re: Internet Security 2012 won't activate, error 8505 129

Norton is the only security software I use, nothing else has ever been installed on my computers so if there is a risk of malware, then it would be something Norton allowed through. My 2011 Norton was about to expire which is why I had installed the newer version.

Norton 2012 is installed but only good for 15 days since it won't activate. This Malwarebytes is to replace Norton? I will need something if there is no fix for this error as there wouldn't be any point in buying another version of the symantec software.

Kudos0

Re: Internet Security 2012 won't activate, error 8505 129


Jayme777 wrote:

Norton is the only security software I use, nothing else has ever been installed on my computers so if there is a risk of malware, then it would be something Norton allowed through. My 2011 Norton was about to expire which is why I had installed the newer version.

Norton 2012 is installed but only good for 15 days since it won't activate. This Malwarebytes is to replace Norton? I will need something if there is no fix for this error as there wouldn't be any point in buying another version of the symantec software.


thank you for the reply.

I was thinking more in terms of preinstalled programs. If 2011 was working well then that is really a non-issue. Two thoughts on the current problem, first, Malwarebytes free scanner is suggested as a compliment to your Norton program. Second, try the Norton Remove and Reinstall Tool:

http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20110217171332EN

to see if that will clean things up so that you can activate.

Keep us in the loop

Dick Win7x64 SP1 current NSBU
Kudos0

Re: Internet Security 2012 won't activate, error 8505 129

Hi Jayme777,

See the following KB article for information and a possible fix for your 8505,129 error:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/norton-support/jsp/help-solutions.jsp?lg=english&ct=united+states&docid=v71552856_EndUserProfile_en_us&product=home&version=1&pvid=f-home 

Plese note the suggested fix if that does not work is at the bottom of theat KB and says ot run the NRnR Tool as Dick suggested.

Please keep us informed.

Kudos0

Re: Internet Security 2012 won't activate, error 8505 129

I do appreciate you all trying to help and I will try both solutions again today - I've already done the uninstall/re-install (what you call the Norton removal tool) and the connect safe - which it knows I'm connected to the internet because live update works just fine.

I'm going to try them again and will let you know if it works this time.

Kudos0

Re: Internet Security 2012 won't activate, error 8505 129

Jayme777,

Just to clarify, there is a Norton Remove and Reinstall Tool which removes the current installation and reinstalls the most current version of your Norton Product.

There is also a Norton Removal Tool, whose proper useage is to uninstall the Norton program via Control Panel (Add/Remove Programs or Programs & Features), then run the Norton Removal Tool, and then download and install NIS 2012 and run liveupdate (rebooting as required)  until such time as it responds "no more updates available".  The use of the removal tool does in fact clean out any left over digital debris that could cause problems.  Thus the NRT is more through than the NRnT.

I would suggest if the NRnT or the Connect Safe do not work, to go ahead and do a clean install of NIS.

Kudos0

Re: Internet Security 2012 won't activate, error 8505 129

You could do a complete re-install :

  • Download and Save the Norton Removal Toolto your desktop.
  • Download and Save the NIS2012 Installerto your desktop.
  • Or, to eliminate a huge number of updates after installation:
  • Go to this page of the Norton Update Center and after selecting Start Download, chose to Savethe Norton Download Manager to your desktop. (The advantage of the download manager is that it pulls in the most recent updates during installation.)
  • For temporary protection, turn on your Windows Firewall.
  • PLEASE Export / Backupyou Identity Safe Data to a convenient location.
  • Have your product key handy.
  • Uninstall your current Norton Version via Add-Remove Programs or Programs and Features.
  • If prompted, do not select the option to save your settings.  Select "Please remove all user data...." (see image here)
  • Restart your computer when prompted.
  • After the restart, run the Norton Removal Tool.
  • Restart your computer when prompted.
  • Right click on the downloaded NIS Installer or Norton Download Managerand select “Run As Administrator” (XP users just double click).
  • If prompted, enter your product key and set up your Norton account.
  • Check that Norton has turned OFF the Windows Firewall.
  • Run Live Update a few times until no more updates are available. Restarts may be required after some of the updates. good luck....Gorpy1
Thank God for people that can help!!!
Kudos0

Re: Internet Security 2012 won't activate, error 8505 129

After all this, I still get 'no response from symantec server'

The first few times I had used Norton Remove and Reinstall Tool, then I tried just the Norton Removal tool, the final steps I tried were:

Go to Add/Remove programs, unistall Norton, remove user data option selected, restart

Run Norton Removal Tool, restart

Put CD in and install Norton Security 2012, restart

Run Live Update, restart

Run Live Update again, restart anyway even though it didn't ask

Run Live Update, no more updates found

Will not activate, continues to say 'no response from symantec server'

Windows firewall is never turned on, when I'm doing all this, I just unplug the ethernet cable so there is no risk.


This must be something about the  2012 version that symantec isn't responding to the activation request. I have three more computers that will need protection in about a month and I feel this is going above and beyond what is needed to install virus protection only to have it expire in a month because it won't activate.


I don't know what else it could be, nothing else has changed on the computer. I thank you all very  much for the help, I wish it would've worked - I guess I have no choice but to search out new virus protection before the trial period is over.

Kudos0

Re: Internet Security 2012 won't activate, error 8505 129


Jayme777 wrote:

After all this, I still get 'no response from symantec server'

The first few times I had used Norton Remove and Reinstall Tool, then I tried just the Norton Removal tool, the final steps I tried were:

Go to Add/Remove programs, unistall Norton, remove user data option selected, restart

Run Norton Removal Tool, restart

Put CD in and install Norton Security 2012, restart

Run Live Update, restart

Run Live Update again, restart anyway even though it didn't ask

Run Live Update, no more updates found

Will not activate, continues to say 'no response from symantec server'

Windows firewall is never turned on, when I'm doing all this, I just unplug the ethernet cable so there is no risk.


This must be something about the  2012 version that symantec isn't responding to the activation request. I have three more computers that will need protection in about a month and I feel this is going above and beyond what is needed to install virus protection only to have it expire in a month because it won't activate.


I don't know what else it could be, nothing else has changed on the computer. I thank you all very  much for the help, I wish it would've worked - I guess I have no choice but to search out new virus protection before the trial period is over.


Hi,

With NIS installed your Windows firewall should be off! The Norton smart firewall is already on the job.

Please keep the computer connected to the Internet and verify access by going to a site - maybe Symantec.com

Whit access confirmed try to activate. Do you have a proxy in this mix?

Hope this helps

Dick Win7x64 SP1 current NSBU
Kudos0

Re: Internet Security 2012 won't activate, error 8505 129

Exactly, that is why windows firewall has never been turned on but in an above post it was suggested to turn it on - just wanted you all to know it's off. When I have absolutely no virus protection while doing this, I prefer to unplug the cable until it is installed.


I can go anywhere on the internet - LiveUpdate runs just fine so Norton knows it has access to the internet - not a connection problem. No proxy on any computer


Kudos0

Re: Internet Security 2012 won't activate, error 8505 129

Since you have Internet acess, as you say, have you ever tried an online chat

On-Line Chat or calling Norton Support at 1-800-745-6061?....Would be sorry to see you go, Norton is the best........Good Luck.....Best....Gorpy1
Thank God for people that can help!!!
Kudos0

Re: Internet Security 2012 won't activate, error 8505 129

Try clicking on Support - Subscription Status. This connects to the Symantec subscription servers and synchs with your software.

Also check your Norton Account to see what it says about your subscription expiry date.

Let us know what result you get.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Kudos0

Re: Internet Security 2012 won't activate, error 8505 129

I went to check those things, the subscription status does not show when you click 'support', I think that's because on the left of the screen it shows 'trial period'.

When I check my Norton account, this 2012 version isn't there - because it won't activate. Only the old, expired versions are there with a renew button.



Gorpy, I haven't done the chat or phone because like now, I'm just too tired to spend a straight hour on the phone doing all that I've already done all over again and with you all, I can work at it as I have time.

Kudos0

Re: Internet Security 2012 won't activate, error 8505 129

Hi Jayme

      Are you using any Proxy settings to connect to the Internet ?

If yes please configure the same in Norton's Settings. And then try to activate.

      If you don't have a proxy settings, Please try the steps below:

      Open Command Prompt --> Type netsh winsock reset --> Then type ipconfig /flushdns -->  Restart the Computer and try to activate the Norton. Let us know how it goes.

Kudos0

Re: Internet Security 2012 won't activate, error 8505 129

I did try the winsock reset and it said 'not recognized as a command' so I googled it and that won't work on service pack 3 but Microsoft support has a tool to reset it - did that, did the ipconfig command - still wouldn't work.

But I found the problem, I don't have any proxy settings, I look every time you all ask and there aren't any to be found - I don't know how they would get there. Since a proxy is a middleman, I decided to unhook from my router and plug directly to the modem - it activated.


This is still a problem though because the computer has to be hooked to a router, after it activated I clicked 'subscription status' and it won't connect to my account now unless I plug directly into the modem.

I have had this router and Norton before with No isssues, Live Update works just fine but I'm not sure if this is going to be a problem in the future because Symantec won't communicate back if I'm using the router - which is a Netgear if that matters.

Kudos0

Re: Internet Security 2012 won't activate, error 8505 129

Thanks for Reporting Back. Please follow the instructions here and try to add your Computers IP address to DMZ. After that try to do the Subscription status check.

Kudos0

Re: Internet Security 2012 won't activate, error 8505 129

I do appreciate your help but this sounds like a bad idea:


WARNING: For security reasons, you should avoid using the Default DMZ Server feature. When a computer is designated as the default DMZ server, it loses much of the protection of the firewall, and is exposed to many exploits from the Internet. If compromised, the computer can be used to attack your network.

Not much reason to use Norton if I'm going to render it useless. And what about the other computers that will need the 2012 version in about a month? They run off the same router, the very router that the 2011 version is working with just fine. Something isn't the same in the newer version.

Kudos1

Re: Internet Security 2012 won't activate, error 8505 129


Jayme777 wrote:

I do appreciate your help but this sounds like a bad idea:


WARNING: For security reasons, you should avoid using the Default DMZ Server feature. When a computer is designated as the default DMZ server, it loses much of the protection of the firewall, and is exposed to many exploits from the Internet. If compromised, the computer can be used to attack your network.

Not much reason to use Norton if I'm going to render it useless. And what about the other computers that will need the 2012 version in about a month? They run off the same router, the very router that the 2011 version is working with just fine. Something isn't the same in the newer version.


The firewall it is referring to that will lose protection is the one in the router. Norton will still protect your PC.

You could use the suggestion as a diagnostic tool to see if it fixes your issue. If it does, then maybe someone else can make suggestions as to how to check the configuration of your router.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Kudos0

Re: Internet Security 2012 won't activate, error 8505 129

Not much reason to use Norton if I'm going to render it useless. And what about the other computers that will need the 2012 version in about a month? They run off the same router, the very router that the 2011 version is working with just fine. Something isn't the same in the newer version.


With the latest program Versions comes the new program Engines and Upgraded Program Features, So Compatibility might differ when compared with older versions. For Example: Some Programs works well with Windows XP and they don't play well with Windows Vista/7.

Also Having two firewalls working realtime will create more issues due to conflicts between both of them.

Regarding the Firewall protection Peterweb gave you the right Comment.

Kudos0

Re: Internet Security 2012 won't activate, error 8505 129

I did not know I already had a firewall, most interesting, all I really need then is virus protection.

So Compatibility might differ when compared with older versions.- This leads me to believe that Norton 2012 is not compatible with my Netgear router (as it has been for the last few years and I'm not in a position to get a new router). I may try the suggestion as a diagnostic but if that worked, that means playing around with my router settings to get it all to work properly which means possible errors and losing Internet completely.

For now, Norton works, I'll see what happens when I install on the others - at least I know what I have to do to get it to activate. If something should change or I find a solution, I will be sure to post back in case someone else should ever run into the same problem. Thank you again for your help.

Kudos0

Re: Internet Security 2012 won't activate, error 8505 129

Let us know how it goes on the others...:-D

Replies are locked for this thread.