• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Identity Safe "Settings" (free version)

I have the free version on a laptop. Everytime I try to go to settings IE9 kinda flickers as if it's going to come up but nothing happens. Then the Norton toolbar freezes up. I then can't get into my logins either. It tells me "unavailable. Browser restart needed". No matter how many times I restart it it never comes back. I have to restart the PC to get back into my logins. Does the settings work on the free one? You'd think it would but I have never been able to get there. Can anyone point me in the direction of a "good" password program? I know a little about lastpass but I also heard they got hacked.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Identity Safe "Settings" (free version)

Do you have another browser you can try? Firefox, or Chrome.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Kudos0

I just tried Chrome and it does the same thing.

Kudos0

I just uninstalled and reinstalled it and still the same. I've had nothing but problems with this program. I like Norton...I have N360 on three other PC's. But this one seems to be a joke. I'm really hoping for a solution.

Kudos0

Hi mb40sr,

The free version (as you probably know) can not be installed on a system with N360 already installed on, however I will assume you have it installed on another system without N 360, have you created a separate (addtional) Norton Account that you are using for this version of ID Safe?  Just a wild guess that may be the problem.  You must have a Norton Account ties to the free ID Safe on line vault.

Hopefully you understand what I am saying.  I have had many questons about the free ID Safe on a "non-Norton product system" and I have been told it will work ith a "new/different Norton Account" - as if different from your N 360 account.

i hope this makes sense - of not hopefully someon else can add more info.

Kudos0

There is no other Norton product on this PC.

I am using an online vault for all my PC's. It signs in just fine and I can edit logins as well. It's just the "settings" part I can't get into. I want to set the time for it to log off to 15 minutes like the other PC's that have N360.

Kudos0

Settings work with the free vsn too.

I'd uninstall and re-install ID Safe free - with browser closed during installation.

Cheers, Jo Graduate of the WTT Classroom
Kudos0

Nope didn't work either.

Kudos0

Just a thought. Have you checked in the browser's Manage Add ons to make sure the Toolbar and Protection are enabled?

I have not used the standalone product, so I'm not sure what Add ons are involved with it.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Kudos0

yea I made sure of that.

Kudos0

Anyone have an idea as to what is causing my problem? Anyone else having this problem?

Kudos0

"yank" I think you may have it solved. I created another account and imported the login info into that new account and the "settings" now will pop up and I can change them. When I log out of that account and into the first one that all my other PC's use, that option will not work. I would like to have all my PC's synced up, is this possible when mixing free version with N360?

Kudos0

Hi mb40sr,

Good to sse you still haven't given up on this - I almost forgot about it being an active thread. 

I am glad that at least you got part of it figured out and my suggestion helped some. 

Now as I understand it, you are asking about synching the free version with the N 360 version. 

I will contact someone who may be able to assist you, as they have been helpful with this type of situation in the past and have helped enlightened me on the aspects of this program.

Please look for a reply from  prasanna_a .

Accepted Solution
Kudos1

Hi mb40sr,

First thing i would like to ask you is, did you try running the live update for the free version of the product? If you are not aware on how to do it, just open the browser and right side corner you can find the Norton Verisign icon just click on it and select "About Norton Identity safe" from the drop down. Click on "Check for new updates" and restart the machine manually if prompted and repeat the same until it says no updates.

Once you are done with the above step, please try to login to your old norton account and check if its working or not. 

If that doesn't work either, just try to use this Norton Account(which is there in ur laptop) in your other machines which have N360 installed. If that works, then just use the export option from the vault and export the vault in DAT format(which is there in N360 machine) and import it into your laptop(which has the free version of idsafe) with "Merge option" in the import window.

And that sync's up all your vault info into the NA which is there in the laptop and use this NA in all your N360 machines.Your laptop with free version and machines with N360 will now be in One NA and One Vault which is synced up at all places.

Let me know if you have any question.

Regards,

Prasanna

Kudos0

I did export from the N360 machines and import into the free version. Then went to the N360 machines and logged into the new account created from the free version and they are all synced up. This seems like alot of work to get the same result. I think Norton needs to find a easier way to do this. It should have worked by adding the free version into the mix with the N360 machines instead of the other way around.

Thanks prasanna_a

Kudos0

Hi mb40sr,

Glad you got it sorted and there is a Product Suggestion Board available here http://community.norton.com/t5/Product-Suggestions/bd-p/Suggestions if yu would like to make your feelings know on the sync process and suggest change for future products.  You may start your own or add to what is already there - I know of at least one pertaining to the sync.

Replies are locked for this thread.