• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Norton Will Not Do A Full Scan

Hi Everyone,

Last Saturday, I had to restore my computer back using a system image I created some time ago.  Anyway the old system image had NIS 2011 so I did all the live updates and now I have NIS 2012 with the latest virus protections.

Anywho... everything with Norton seems to be running well, but I can't get it to do an auto full scan!!. 

Prior to the system re-image, NIS 2012 would do an IDLE TIME FULL scan AUTOMATICALLY on a WEEKLY basis.  I NEVER had to run a scheduled FULL scan... Norton just did it on its own.

Is there someway to get Norton to do the full scan automatically on a weekly basis again? 

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.  BTW... I tried to get a hold of a Norton technician via chat tonight... but the chat window comes up as "website temporarily not available"... like that portion of Norton's website is down.

Is anyone else getting this error message too?

Cricket

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Will Not Do A Full Scan

Your settings may not be the same as before.

From the main UI, click on Settings - Computer - Computer Scan. Then click on Configure beside Full System Scan. You can play with the settings on this page. You can have it scan while your system is idle. You just have to remember to leave your computer on and idle to allow it to do its' job.

Or you can set it up to scan on a specific day and time. Just be sure to pick a time when you will have the computer on.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Kudos0

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply... the thing is,  I really don't want to schedule a weekly full scan... when Norton is supposed to do this automatically. 

Before I had to do the reimage,  NIS 2012 did do full scans automatically every week.. but now it doesn't, so some setting needs changed or NIS 2011 didn't update correctly to NIS 2012.

Cricket 

Kudos3

spywriter007 wrote:

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply... the thing is,  I really don't want to schedule a weekly full scan... when Norton is supposed to do this automatically. 

Before I had to do the reimage,  NIS 2012 did do full scans automatically every week.. but now it doesn't, so some setting needs changed or NIS 2011 didn't update correctly to NIS 2012.

Cricket 

The reason is that by default Norton 2012 scans the PC once a month.  However, if you "install" NIS12 "over the top" of an existing product without doing a complete uninstallation, it will keep the setting of the old Norton, which was once a week.  Only NIS12 changes the default behavior to once a month.

Bring back the ability to store passwords locally on the PC in Norton 2013 products | Add the ability to turn off "share" in the Norton 2013 products or remove share altogether | Malware on your PC? Keep calm wait for forum member "Quads" to respond. Do NOTHING else. See for more information. | Did you know you can upgrade your Norton products for FREE if your subscription is valid?
Kudos0

Hi Spywriter007,

scarfy is correct.  The Default setting for NIS12 is 30 days.  That is because the Quick scans are more thorough than NIS11.  If,  like me,  you would like a weekly scan you can either select weekly,  then enter a day and time,  or select every 7 days.

Please see below for my settings.

Dave.

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 x2 *** Norton 360 v21.6.0.32 *** Norton Security with Backup v22.0.2.17
Kudos0

Hey Guys,

Thanks for your help.  One other question though... if you schedule a full scan, does the auto full scan then get disabled?  I remember in NIS 2011 you had to select one or the other... if you scheduled a full scan.. the auto full scan would then be disabled.

Is that true also in NIS 2012?

Cricket

Kudos0

spywriter007 wrote:

Hey Guys,

Thanks for your help.  One other question though... if you schedule a full scan, does the auto full scan then get disabled?  I remember in NIS 2011 you had to select one or the other... if you scheduled a full scan.. the auto full scan would then be disabled.

Cricket

This is the auto full scan. The quick scans will still run automatically.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Kudos0

spywriter007 wrote:

Hey Guys,

Cricket

I am fairly sure that when you alter the default setting the Full Scan will only run on your schedule.  As mentioned,  quick scans will run when your system is idol after new virus def's are downloaded.

Dave.

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 x2 *** Norton 360 v21.6.0.32 *** Norton Security with Backup v22.0.2.17

Replies are locked for this thread.