• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

error ed800012

I am using ghost 15 updated to the newest service pack on win7 64 bit and a 3TB usb external hard drive formatted ntfs. I've read some other posting on this issue and tried changing compression, but I keep getting this error. It seems as though the entire backup is created and then when it goes to verify the recovery point, it runs into this error. This is the first backup and the first time I'm using the exernal hard drive. Help please.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: error ed800012

Thank you for the info. I split the drive into 2 partitions with the "computer management" program in windows. They are now 2TB and 1TB approx. I was just able to create the image backup to the 2TB drive. When I went to create a files/folders backup from a different external USB drive (2TB) to the 1TB partition of the new drive, I got a "-Snapshot error %1. --Error EBAB03F1: OS error 2147754774." Is it a similar problem or a new problem? Am I able to copy from external usb to external usb? And from a 2TB drive to a 1TB partition? Thanks

Kudos0

As a followup, I tried a files/folders backup from the internal drive to the 1tb partition of the new backup drive and got the same error. I then tried a files/folders backup to the 2TB partition and got the same error, so it seems as though it is NOT the same issue. FYI, this error happens about 5-10 seconds into the process. Thanks again.

Kudos0

Which USB protocol are you using? USB2.x is supported by Ghost currently. USB3.x isn't.

DickWin7x64 SP1 current NIS V21
Kudos0

It's not a partition size limit, it's a hard drive size limit.  Making the partitions 2TB or less is not going to help.

You would have to make the entire drive 2TB or less to be able to make a MBR partition table rather than a GPT disk.

That limitation really has nothing to do with Ghost so it shouldn't effect what happens in windows.

The limitation comes into play when using the recovery disk, the version of windows used on the recovery disk does not support GPT drives.

Dave

Kudos0

Wow, ok. So If I'm getting a backup drive and want to use ghost, I need it to be 2TB or smaller?

FYI, the image (whole computer) backup did work when I partitioned the drive, but the files/folders backup won't. Thanks.

Kudos0

I am using ghost 15 updated to the newest service pack on win7 64 bit and a 3TB usb external hard drive formatted ntfs. I've read some other posting on this issue and tried changing compression, but I keep getting this error. It seems as though the entire backup is created and then when it goes to verify the recovery point, it runs into this error. This is the first backup and the first time I'm using the exernal hard drive. Help please.

Kudos0

The drive is usb3.0 capable but I tried going thru a usb 2.0 port on my laptop and I still get the same snapshot error. Other ideas?

Kudos0

You said it's a snapshot error and I was thinking it was a bad image file.

Can you give us the entire error, the second 2 lines are more descriptive than the error code.

Dave

Kudos0

Hi Dave, I gave the details in my 515am note above. Here it is: "-Snapshot error %1. --Error EBAB03F1: OS error 2147754774 when I am trying to create a files/folders backup of an external usb drive or from my laptop.

Kudos1

OK, so I guess your having 2 problems with different errors.  They may actually be caused by the same problem.

Check this KB article, it's for the enterprise version of Ghost but it shows you how to check for COM+ problems.

See if you can navigate to the componants and click each one of them without getting errors.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&pmv=print&impressions=&viewlocale=&id=TECH124774

I'm not in windows 7 at the moment but you should see symantec symsnap vss provider, MS shadow copy provider, as well as maybe 3 COM+ components.

You should be able to click on each one of them without getting errors, you should see the subfolders instead of error messages.

If that seems to be your problem, don't use that fix on the second article yet, I'll try to find the COM+ fix that is on the Ghost 15 knowlegebase in case they are different.

Dave

Kudos0

I went in there and COM+ gives me an error and won't list anything. The error is: error code 8004E00F COM+ was unable to talk to the Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator. It mentions that an event log may contain additional troubleshooting info, but I don't see a log. Thanks again for your assistance.

Kudos0

Your system has a problem with the COM+ catalog, so volume shadow copy was not working.  Because of this, when Ghost was installed it was unable to correctly install it's components and use volume shadow copy.

Here is the KB article for Ghost, It may actually be the same as the other KB but I didn't have the time to compare them.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/norton-support/jsp/help-solutions.jsp?docid=20100513170716EN&lg=english&ct=united+states&product=home&version=1&pvid=f-home&entsrc=redirect_pubweb

Pay close attention when you reinstall Ghost and make a note of any errors given.  I have seen this myself with volume shadow copy problems, Ghost will give an error or 2 when it is being installed, and it will finish the installation and appear to be working correctly but without volume shadow copy working you will run into problems with the images and backups.

When Ghost is installed again you should be able to open a command prompt as administrator and type:

vssadmin list providers

and see 2 results listed:

'Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0'

'Symantec Software VSS Provider'

Best of luck,

Dave

Kudos0

I followed the process you suggested to fix com+. I used the norton removal tool to totally remove ghost 15. There appeared to be no errors while doing that or the com+ fix. I rebooted and thentried to reinstall norton. Near the beginning of the process, in the command prompt window, I got generic mount service not found but it continued. Later in the process I got a pop up window I had to achknowledge that I beleive is our problem. It said, "error: failed to have success running install VSSProvider function in MSIInstallVSSProvider function." And the only thing in the vssadmin list is the microsft shadow copy veriosn 1.0.0.7. Further thoughts are appreciated. Ugh. Did you notice that I am running win7 64bit? I hope that isn't an issue.

Kudos0

I tried that one about an hour ago too. It looked like it stopped the services and then it looked like they restarted but it still isn't in the vssadmin list. FYI, the com+ install said that it is not an installed service so it can't fix it. So this step you mention gets me to the point where the COM+ still gives me an error when I try to open it in the dcomcnfg. Thanks for your help. Seems like we need to get com+ installed rather than fixed.

Kudos0

fgoldy wrote:

Welcome,

It sounds like you are doing everything correctly. The only weak point is the 3TB drive. Ghost15 doesn't support a drive that big. No matter how it's connected to the system. Same applies to USB3.x connections.

Your solution for now would be to divide that new drive into at least two partitions and format them using NTFS. After that Ghost shoulld be very happy and do your backups just as you epect. You will also be able ot recover your files!

Hope this helps. Stay well and surf safe

DickWin7x64 SP1 current NIS V21

Replies are locked for this thread.